First time playing as revenant, could use some build tips for PvE

Belmont.4682

Heya peeps, just as the title says im in the process of gearing up my fresh lvl 80 revenant, i just completed the Herald elite spec levelling and im a bit confused regarding some aspects of the class itself specially since the last update to the class wich changed the offhand sword skills from what i have heard of.

So i'm going to simply enumerate those and any answer you give will be much appreciated :smile:

1) What stat combination should be used? im geared mostly with level 80 CoF zerker exotics right now, as i believe zerker is the most common stat combo.2) Wich legend setup i should be running? some guides say glint/shiro, others say glint/jalis.3) What are the weapons of choosing? some people say that sword/sword is trash now, but only for pvp, others say its trash for pve aswell, others say that sword/axe is still better.4) Isnt Marauder a good stat combination for a revenant? i mean they have really low max HP but that is compensated trough easy access to Protection, and since marauder adds a nice amount of HP with a full set, i believe it wouldnt be bad.

Thanks in advance =)

1) Well if you're fresh, zerker is fine, but I'd aim for viper's (yassith's) ascended gear and renegade.2) Jalis is specifically for meleeing, while Shiro allows for better variety of what you can do, you can just play around with both and see which suits you better. Glint if you don't have PoF and mounts, with mounts Glint gets annoying, because you have to turn the facets on again when you dismount.3) Sword / axe can't go wrong, you'll still mainly use mainhand sword, hammer is a lot of (aoe) damage too at range.4) Marauder is just a watered down zerker (more hp, slightly less damage) it may be worth it if you run around HoT maps alone, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Again if you can dodge and read the fight properly, you likely won't need the extra HP.

@inubasiri.8745 said:1) Well if you're fresh, zerker is fine, but I'd aim for viper's (yassith's) ascended gear and renegade.2) Jalis is specifically for meleeing, while Shiro allows for better variety of what you can do, you can just play around with both and see which suits you better. Glint if you don't have PoF and mounts, with mounts Glint gets annoying, because you have to turn the facets on again when you dismount.3) Sword / axe can't go wrong, you'll still mainly use mainhand sword, hammer is a lot of (aoe) damage too at range.4) Marauder is just a watered down zerker (more hp, slightly less damage) it may be worth it if you run around HoT maps alone, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Again if you can dodge and read the fight properly, you likely won't need the extra HP.

Hi, tyvm for the reply =), and what do you think about sword/sword, some people are trash talking it pretty hard now after the recent changes, while others are praising it, so im kinda lost on that.

And yeah, i like marauder mostly because my latency is kind of bad (~250 with some eventual spikes), so an extra health enables me gameplay to be a bit more forgiven regarding dodging stuff.

Revenant is also my latest character addition, so I am by far no expert, but played her extensivly recently. Actually I must admit Revenant turned into my current favourite class.Standard Power Herald build is pretty good for PVE, both solo and groups. Damage is good, survivablity is not bad.Build is Devastation 2-3-1, Invocation 2-3-3 and Herald 3-2-1. Nothing special, this is what pretty much every guide suggests.Currently playing with the Invocation line after the recent patch, there may be some new variations.Gear is mostly zerker with some Marauder mixed in.Legends are Glint & Shiro and Glint & Jalis. I switch to Jalis depending if I need a bit more survivability or am expecting lots of weak enemies. For single-target Shiro in general wins.Weapons are sword/axe and sword/shield. Shield mostly when I need survivability and things get a bit nasty. I experimented with off-hand sword after the patch, but not sure yet if I like it. Sword 5 is good, Sword 4 I don't find a good use for. I have not tried sword/sword in PVP yet, so cannot comment on that. So far I think I like sword/axe better.

Initially I did not like Renegade, but as more I play it, as more I like it. Gear is all condition damage, but I don't have full Viper yet. Still very good damage and some unique playstyle.

My third build is full healer. Yes, not what most people do, but I personally like playing healer. Glint & Ventari is a great group support setup, with a mix of cleric and magi gear. Damage is non-existant, but healing is very strong. I actually like this better than my Druid, but that's more a question of style and personal preference. You don't see Ventari healers often in open-world PVE, but it makes those big-group events so much more convinient.

Anyways, have fun with your Revenant. I certainly have. :-)

@Belmont.4682 said:

1) What stat combination should be used? im geared mostly with level 80 CoF zerker exotics right now, as i believe zerker is the most common stat combo.2) Wich legend setup i should be running? some guides say glint/shiro, others say glint/jalis.3) What are the weapons of choosing? some people say that sword/sword is trash now, but only for pvp, others say its trash for pve aswell, others say that sword/axe is still better.4) Isnt Marauder a good stat combination for a revenant? i mean they have really low max HP but that is compensated trough easy access to Protection, and since marauder adds a nice amount of HP with a full set, i believe it wouldnt be bad.

Thanks in advance =)

1) If you're playing Herald you can go either with power builds or hybrid builds. For the power ones typically you want to go either full berserker in stats or a mix betwenn berserker and marauder. Due stats in armor are harder to reset the best choice seems to go full zerk with weapons and armor and to use a mix of zerk and marauder in the trinkets, because the Living Season 3 maps will give you broad access to ascendant resetable trinkets which allow you to swap the stats at cheap cost. Weapons could be sword + shield + staff, sword + axe + staff, hammer + staff or even double sword + staff.

You can also go for the condition (hybrid) builds; then you can chose between the use of a full viper set or trailblazer, mixing based on your feelings. As with the zerk - marauder thing the more pratcical thing is to devote armor and weapons to viper and to play with the trinkets to set the viper/trailbrazer proportions to a level you're confy with. Weapons should be mace + axe and either staff or sword + shield to the swap. Condi builds stay in mace + axe most of the time.

2) For power Herald is mostly Glint + Shiro, except in WvW zergs where Mallyx and Jalis can have a spot. Can be argued that this also applies to PvE raids, but is untrue: if you run power Herald you probably won't find a place in PvE raids. The strongest dps build from Revenant is condition Renegade, which still isn't meta in PvE raids.

3) Already answered. For open PvE everything works, sword + axe & staff or sword + shield & staff or even hammer & staff are popular for power builds, and mace + axe & staff for hybrid builds. In WvW zerg builds only staff + hammer or staff + mace + axe work. Shield roots and kills you in zerg vs zerg and off hand sword now lacks blocks so both those weapons are now useless in z v z and scrims. For duels/roaming power Herald uses mostly sword and staff, with all the off hand being viable. Condi builds are imo too risky to be used to duel and roam: they are worse at gap closing, condition cleansing and pressuring that power builds. By extension power Herald seems the only PvP variant viable.

4) Revenant is a mid sized HP character, marauder stats or valkyrie stats in some proportion are good because we have easy access to 100% crit chance, so high precission isn't a must, and the extra life is mostly to prevent being one-shooted. But berserker is still the main part of the pizza.

Archived