In-Game Reward Case Study: Tequatl

phandaria.4891

Current Problem:

1. People want in-game rewards, especially mounts.
  2. Anet want replayable content and active players.

Best case study I have seen is Tequatl weapon. Tequatl is one of the most active world bosses where players come back daily to hunt down that precious hoard and Tequatl weapon is still considered as rare. Considering it has been 4 YEARS, this could be considered a big success.

Proposal: Make a rare loot comparable to Tequatl weapon to current event, e.g. Branded Forgotten Zealot styled mounts box from Serpent's Ire Meta Event. With each box, players are allowed to choose and unlock one of the mounts of their choice (out of the five). Players will choose first their most preferred mounts, but still hunt for more mounts box for completion or rarity sake. Drop rate should possibly similar to Tequatl Hoard.

Other Case Study 1: Players quickly left The Shatterer after completing the achievement because there are no other skin to unlock and lack of RNG in obtaining associated skin.Other Case Study 2: Farming for mounts skin can be seen similarly in other MMO such as farming KT for phoenix skin.

Soo, what do you guys think?

EDIT: Bold styling

In my opinion, you misinterpret the motivation of doing Tequatl. Yes, the hoard is an ascended unique skin, but it drops so seldomly, that it cannot be the cause for the great popularity of that event.The cause is much simpler, if you ask me. The event is somewhat entertaining even after doing it multiple times, and more, the cost vs. reward ratio for 15 minute play time is much better than any other activity besides T4 fractals, even if you don't get that hoard. You get whopping 4 bouncing chests and in addition the big chest from the map. 15000 Karma. 2 Chances for exotic stuff, and even if your chest luck is bad, a bunch of rare weapons you can recycle to ecto. One event, and it fills half of your inventory.

You are seriously overselling the mount hype, as many others are as well.

In game I want statted, unbound, high rare+ quality items I can sell, use, salvage or otherwise get value from as drops. An event that offers a decent chance of a few of these items is a good event.Also, these are Exactly the kinds of Items I do NOT want to see on the Gem store.

Gem store is made for selling unstatted, cosmetic fluff, and that is all a mount skin is. IF I want such fluff I will buy it with Gold generated by looting items of actual value and sellable, or by RMT.

You all can work out the means of Anet selling them. I don't want to deal with more garbage dropping from anything.
If you can get Anet to make a quest from Bob at Maaco that will trade you a skin for 700 weasel nosed toxic anklebiter pelts, yay. I don't have to do it and your junk isn't worsening a loot table. (and I'll be happy to sell you anklebiter pelts)

Amazing how this game went from "no mounts evah!" on the forums to this state of mass hysteria over paintjob availability. This thread has very little to do with an actual "case study" of Teq loot tables and is nothing but another variety of "mah mount skinz !!! !!!!!"

(Case Study 2 is laughable BTW. I'd suggest you look the term up)

@Silmar Alech.4305 said:In my opinion, you misinterpret the motivation of doing Tequatl. Yes, the hoard is an ascended unique skin, but it drops so seldomly, that it cannot be the cause for the great popularity of that event.The cause is much simpler, if you ask me. The event is somewhat entertaining even after doing it multiple times, and more, the cost vs. reward ratio for 15 minute play time is much better than any other activity besides T4 fractals, even if you don't get that hoard. You get whopping 4 bouncing chests and in addition the big chest from the map. 15000 Karma. 2 Chances for exotic stuff, and even if your chest luck is bad, a bunch of rare weapons you can recycle to ecto. One event, and it fills half of your inventory.Thanks, I missed this part. Teq's reward is extremely better compared to other World Bosses.

@maddoctor.2738 said:They already added a box (low rng chance) that gives a random specialization weapon to the end loot of many Path of Fire meta events. Those are expensive and lots of players want them.My concern is the market value will drop as it is tradeable in the future. When the supply exceeds the demand, the incentive to replay the event will be much less. Account bound items would be much less affected.

@"Teofa Tsavo.9863" said:You are seriously overselling the mount hype, as many others are as well.

In game I want statted, unbound, high rare+ quality items I can sell, use, salvage or otherwise get value from as drops. An event that offers a decent chance of a few of these items is a good event.Also, these are Exactly the kinds of Items I do NOT want to see on the Gem store.

Gem store is made for selling unstatted, cosmetic fluff, and that is all a mount skin is. IF I want such fluff I will buy it with Gold generated by looting items of actual value and sellable, or by RMT.

You all can work out the means of Anet selling them. I don't want to deal with more garbage dropping from anything.

If you can get Anet to make a quest from Bob at Maaco that will trade you a skin for 700 weasel nosed toxic anklebiter pelts, yay. I don't have to do it and your junk isn't worsening a loot table. (and I'll be happy to sell you anklebiter pelts)

Amazing how this game went from "no mounts evah!" on the forums to this state of mass hysteria over paintjob availability. This thread has very little to do with an actual "case study" of Teq loot tables and is nothing but another variety of "mah mount skinz !!! !!!!!"

(Case Study 2 is laughable BTW. I'd suggest you look the term up)Noted on your point, but I believe many other plays Fashion Wars 2 and skins are end game content. Not sure how big the subset is, but there will be people grinding certain content just for the skins. The hype and MountGate are definitely caused by this subset of players.

@"Teofa Tsavo.9863" said:You are seriously overselling the mount hype, as many others are as well.

Nobody buys/crafts/earns Funerary, Spearmarshal, Warbeast, Bounty Hunter, Leystone, Bladed, Carapace, Halloween, or Bioluminescent armor for the stats. We get them for the paint jobs and AP. Radiant/Hellfire armor and Zenith/Pinnacle weapons are also desired for their skins (And prestige).

With the size of mounts, they play a critical role in Fashion Wars, which is THE endgame for this game. While supporting the game with microtransactions to play Fashion Wars is possible (Though it's largely for novelty items.), everyone's able to reasonably compete aesthetically with the resources available strictly in-game. However, with the gutted dye channels and lack of appearance variation for Mounts, there's no such opportunity to strive for in-game.

Hmmm pretty sure people keep doing tequatl for the raw 1 liquid gold you get no matter what despicable loot you got, just like people kept doing dungeons as fast as possible for the same raw liquid gold after finishing 1 path. Maybe they should do the same for the forged or the serpents ire meta (one per day per account) ?

@Sartharina.3542 said:

Nobody buys/crafts/earns Funerary, Spearmarshal, Warbeast, Bounty Hunter, Leystone, Bladed, Carapace, Halloween, or Bioluminescent armor for the stats. We get them for the paint jobs and AP. Radiant/Hellfire armor and Zenith/Pinnacle weapons are also desired for their skins (And prestige).

With the size of mounts, they play a critical role in Fashion Wars, which is THE endgame for this game. While supporting the game with microtransactions to play Fashion Wars is possible (Though it's largely for novelty items.), everyone's able to reasonably compete aesthetically with the resources available strictly in-game. However, with the gutted dye channels and lack of appearance variation for Mounts, there's no such opportunity to strive for in-game.

I do not doubt that you see it as a war. Fashion? no, not really. A few have a sense of Fashion, the majority haven't a clue in my opinion. Costume wars would be a better term and more truthful. The game launched with most NPCs showing a far greater sense of fashion than "fashion warriors" to the very great credit of those original designers. IRL the top designers and artisans simply don't even offer "customization" options, knowing what some would ask for.

I credit whoever made the Raptor. It looks like a Raptor, it's well done, has detail, it is nice work. I would say, to me, that the huge majority of the dye jobs people do here actually devalue and diminish the original work.

I do not think standing in DR with the latest garish, gaudy, glowing, disfunctional looking fluff is THE endgame for everyone.

Case Study and lack of RNG two really bad ideas to be talking about in this game !! more so when you try to tie them to world boss's events that have a reset timer on them . they are fine as rewards to and you can make easy 2 gold from it every day plus mats on top of it . how ever i will say if they let the ascend loot drops happen a little bit more. that would help a lot

other things with these events do really need to be improved on tho . they need to cut lag bombs in these events and increase frame rates . so thos players getting 10 FPS can at least reach 50 FPS to make these events for them more worth and fun doing . as well also too with these events they need to make it so you do not have to wait half hour before the event to just get into a good map . and make it so as well say 2 minutes before the event begins make that the cut off point to get into a good full map. and let the event happen as normal .

I guest it is much more likely for the loot players get for sure for the amount of work it requires. I also wouldn't see tequatl weapons a story of success seeing how often it is complained about the pure RNG and untradeability of these weapons. A item should be a rare drop like queen bee or liquid aurilium and be tradeable or an item should be account bound but somewhat common.We can look at tarir too. It is highly popular, but it was popular even before they added the aura item just because it gives good guaranteed rewards. Same with silver wastes it is mainly popular because of the guaranteed rewards not because of the queen bee.

@pallas.8150 said:Something specific tied to the event/ monster.

Yes, I think it'd help if the game had more of that.

But there's also another reason why people do certain events: because it's fun, because of the sense of cooperation, coordination and community without all the ugliness of "meta"-obsessed instance content where casual and new players are often explicitly and viciously unwelcome. While I can't talk about Tequat because I don't do it often, I do the triple wurm almost every day. I learned to eggblock and love doing it because it's something different and fun. I enjoy listening to the commanders on TS (shoutout to OpenCommunity!) because they're chill, welcoming and competent. I laugh or panic at the glitches when the wurm does something wonky or fails to upscale and the first burn leaves it at <1% health.

One of the commanders once mentioned how she likes to do reset Tequatl, and there's one person who just sits around as a Wintersday present and has become a kind of mascot and lucky charm for the regulars.

It's that sort of thing beyond just loot or maximum-efficiently gold grinds which is IMO also important to a game being "rewarding".

@pallas.8150 said:Not just mounts, IMO, but just... REWARDS. Something specific tied to the event/ monster.

There's a reason ppl continue to hit Tequatl with such passion and thats pretty much why.

I doubt that the hordes are the reason, people are doing tequatl. There are specific items for other events like Sam but I rarely see large groups doing it. There are pretty nice skins for certain enemy type champions but I have never seen something like a branded champ farm in lfg, probably because outside of a highly unlikely chance to get a valuable item you nearly get nothing else.But I clearly would not mind seeing another wave of enemy specific exotics with unique skins, it is quite some time since the last one and we have now some new enemy types.

No please no. The mere fact that after 4 years many people don't even have 1 of those skins is a testament to the poor design choice of obtaining tequatl weapons. I would not like this at all if it was implemented. RNG is one thing, but when the chances are so low that you could do the event daily for years and still not have even a single skin, then its too low. No one would be happy with this implementation of obtaining mount skins in game except the extremely lucky.

Mind you, there's a reason that with HoT Anet changed how leg weapons are obtained. Its because no one wants to rely on such an absurdly low chance for a reward they might want. No one.

Archived