Suggestion: Bring back ESL

Coolguy.8702

To improve balance patches.When HoT released he balance patches were much better because anet could see which classes were op and underpowered and actually did a great job of buffing/nerfing them. Ever eince ESL got dropped most of the patches have been dissapointing and just shows anet doesn’t pay any attention to the pvp scene.

As some1 said above ESL dropped GW2, it wasnt interesting and the overall viewership was way too low compared to other games (1000 viewers for ESL is nothing). Meanwhile most competitive games have a sophisticated spectator mode to make the viewing experience as straightforward and exciting as possible. GW2 doesnt have that. The whole experience was a clusterfuck of aoes being dropped on a circle and even the casters had a rough time keeping up. It's not that Anet dont pay attention to PvP, it's that a PvP game requires full attention to be succesful and GW2 aint a pure PvP game so the devs cant keep up unless it is completely separated from the rest of the game with its own department,developers and funding.

@zoomborg.9462 said:As some1 said above ESL dropped GW2, it wasnt interesting and the overall viewership was way too low compared to other games (1000 viewers for ESL is nothing). Meanwhile most competitive games have a sophisticated spectator mode to make the viewing experience as straightforward and exciting as possible. GW2 doesnt have that. The whole experience was a kitten of aoes being dropped on a circle and even the casters had a rough time keeping up. It's not that Anet dont pay attention to PvP, it's that a PvP game requires full attention to be succesful and GW2 aint a pure PvP game so the devs cant keep up unless it is completely separated from the rest of the game with its own department,developers and funding.

not only that but when anet tried to shove this down the whole player base throats with the log in screen and every time you changed maps. that really got the player base KITTENED OFF for good reason . they stopped logging into the game. stopped playing the game. every thing this happened . the player base did not want it then and they sure do not want it now. any one who thinks they do will very much i am sure fast find out how wrong they are. same goes for that stupid UGO 5v5 Tournaments that begs for money that needs to die off as well

so in other words NO THANK YOU .

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

@zoomborg.9462 said:As some1 said above ESL dropped GW2, it wasnt interesting and the overall viewership was way too low compared to other games (1000 viewers for ESL is nothing). Meanwhile most competitive games have a sophisticated spectator mode to make the viewing experience as straightforward and exciting as possible. GW2 doesnt have that. The whole experience was a kitten of aoes being dropped on a circle and even the casters had a rough time keeping up. It's not that Anet dont pay attention to PvP, it's that a PvP game requires full attention to be succesful and GW2 aint a pure PvP game so the devs cant keep up unless it is completely separated from the rest of the game with its own department,developers and funding.

not only that but when anet tried to shove this down the whole player base throats with the log in screen and every time you changed maps. that really got the player base KITTENED OFF for good reason . they stopped logging into the game. stopped playing the game. every thing this happened . the player base did not want it then and they sure do not want it now. any one who thinks they do will very much i am sure fast find out how wrong they are. same goes for that stupid UGO 5v5 Tournaments that begs for money that needs to die off as well

so in other words NO THANK YOU .

As far as UGO is concerned i wouldnt go that far. No1 shoved that down your throat and the money actually goes to the prizepool. It is organized by a small crew and there is no way for them to give a good if any prize unless the supporters/viewers step up. They try to do w/e they can to keep competitive pvp running somehow with no anet resources which is actually really hard and admirable. I'm not an e-sports hater, i actually really like watching some specific games, especially Dota 2, but GW2 in it's current form simply isnt enough to make it up there with the big dogs.

And generally u should learn to hold your tongue from belittling things people put effort in. It just makes u look petty and spiteful.

1. ESL small tournaments were droped not proleuage.
  2. State of ESL prolague is like this - complete silence since last finals.
  3. Those devs that cared about pvp left long ago like Grouch so there is nobody at anet who can reach players, get sponsors or just watch few matches and say ,,this meta sucks".

Balance would be much better if we had paid tournaments. People scrim and find most broken things cause these means money. Devs see this and do meaningful balance. Unfortunately paid tournaments were from Anets marketing budged+sponsors and I doubt they will put these kind of effort for hyping ...i don't know 5 years old game?

It's shame really that we didn't have any Anet official response in this matter. Kinda d*** move for people that put some much effort, time and had sponsors ect. At least they could say that is over and that's it.

No thanks. The Pro league wasn't particularly productive and I think it contributed to the general toxicity. The craze for absolute "competitive" gaming is worse even than I've seen in the yacht clubs.. and that's saying something.

If ANET really wants a strong and marketable PvP, they need to start by making it fair, viz "Fun to Play."

@Ithilwen.1529 said:No thanks. The Pro league wasn't particularly productive and I think it contributed to the general toxicity. The craze for absolute "competitive" gaming is worse even than I've seen in the yacht clubs.. and that's saying something.

If ANET really wants a strong and marketable PvP, they need to start by making it fair, viz "Fun to Play."

There is no such thing as Competitive and "Fun to Play"... You cannot have both.Competitiveness leads to Toxic behavior and "Fun to Play" leads to Casual Behavior, which are conflictant and cannot cohexist.

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ithilwen.1529 said:No thanks. The Pro league wasn't particularly productive and I think it contributed to the general toxicity. The craze for absolute "competitive" gaming is worse even than I've seen in the yacht clubs.. and that's saying something.

There is no such thing as Competitive and "Fun to Play"... You cannot have both.Competitiveness leads to Toxic behavior and "Fun to Play" leads to Casual Behavior, which are conflictant and cannot cohexist.

I don't agree. Competition is fun. To keep it enjoyable, it needs to be fair first and foremost. Most people enjoy a quality match that tests them a bit, win or lose. Competition becomes toxic and un-fun when one or more players have an obvious advantage.

If I entertain the notion that fun and competitive are polar opposites.. then PvP has no place in the game. People come to Tyria to enjoy themselves. Logically, an anti-fun element hurts the game.

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

I don't agree. Competition is fun. To keep it enjoyable, it needs to be fair first and foremost. Most people enjoy a quality match that tests them a bit, win or lose. Competition becomes toxic and un-fun when one or more players have an obvious advantage.

If I entertain the notion that fun and competitive are polar opposites.. then PvP has no place in the game. People come to Tyria to enjoy themselves. Logically, an anti-fun element hurts the game.

That's why PvP and PvE are separate game modes my friend... You can look at any MMO with open world PvP and you will understand what I am saying.

And people CAN have fun in PvP but most of the time it will happen in Unranked play. The moment you start to want to be competitive most of the time you'll get bitter over your loses and you start to become toxic. It's human nature to get frustrated with failure.

ESL dropped GW2 because no one played their tournaments. The wait times between games were terrible, zero communication with admins that were clueless about how to run a tournament and enforce their own ESL rules. Adding to that, these HoT days ESLs required 8 teams to signup to give out any prizes and that community simply never formed due to how terrible their admins were and how much time these ESL tournies took. So basically after a month of HoT and neglecting those lesser ESL tournies due to proleague they were dead for a year. Its playerbase that didn't bother. ATs are a huge improvement over ESL, time efficient, gameplay efficient and a good fun. Also there isn't any End-goal in PvP that would scope outside of the game so there's basically no reason for these to come back. ESL won't ever be back, leave it in the past and live the systems that ANet invests developement into.

@choovanski.5462 said:the real issue was actually people like grouch leaving anet. that reduced the number of people who actually give a care about PvP, and PvP balance to 0. we no longer have a dude on the inside who fights for us.

esports, esmorts. it's cool an all but it's grouch leaving that was the real nail in the coffin.

I thought the same when he left (almost been a year wow).

fix balance and players might come back -> players are back -> bring back teamq -> people form teams -> teams want to compete -> (good spectator mode ->) frequent balance patches -> competition at AT -> pro scene.
this game is stuck at step one and then some, so good luck.

Archived