Classes/builds to play in the new season as a solo player?

Nimrud.5642

Hello,

I always keep my thief amongst the characters I actively play in a season, but tend to jump around on my other chars as balance shifts from season to season. I played at least 100 games on every class except mesmer and necro, and I always had at least 2 classes out of the remaining 7 to play as secondary role (if we had an other thief who didnt want to relog, or we didnt have support or didnt have enough teamfight-damage, etc.) But with the start of the new season I'm having trouble to pick my 2nd or 3rd option class/build. So my questions are:

1. Is weaver still that bad? In a recent video Phanta came up with the conclusion that the best build for weaver is currently this with cele ammy if the enemy necro plays blood magic reaper and the regular sage's version if the enemy necro is boon corrupt scourge. ( i hope I got this right.)
  2. How bad is spellbreaker now? Just became average or outright trash?
  3. How is core war with that new heal on might + might on GS use? Plus axe buffs...
  4. Do you have to outplay your opponent big time on holo if you are facing a heavy condi class? How is holo's potential compared to condi mirage for example?
  5. Is it true under every circumstance that playing solo the most effective choice is using a high dmg class? Or in other words: 'as a support build you are only as good as the ppl you are healing.' Is this true even if your team has no support build on the roaster?
  6. If its wise to play support builds as a solo player is it only FB or is druid also viable? (I guess it depends on the number of scourges on the enemy team.)
  7. Is it wise to finally start to learn mesmer? I remeber very few occasions when niether thief nor mes was viable. I dont like mesmer but I like the role it fulfills. Its sad I cant always do that on my thief... But anyways its maybe time to pick it up. What do you think?

Thx

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:Play any class and build you want, Pvp keeps getting pushed towards being the most non-competitive gamemode possible that facilitates a PvE gear grind fest, so have fun any any build you prefer to play, laugh at all those that rage, and collect your loots.

I enjoy being effective rather than playing a certain class or build. Thats why I multiclass. :)

@Nimrud.5642 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:Play any class and build you want, Pvp keeps getting pushed towards being the most non-competitive gamemode possible that facilitates a PvE gear grind fest, so have fun any any build you prefer to play, laugh at all those that rage, and collect your loots.

I enjoy being effective rather than playing a certain class or build. Thats why I multiclass. :)

Why though the Pvp is a joke in this game, just do what makes you have fun and grind your lootz, the casual non competitiveness is what is being pushed for every Pvp patch.

@Nimrud.5642 said:

Multiclassing actually hurts your effectiveness though. Gw2 is a fast paced game that requires tons of muscle memory. By trying to multiclass you are slowing down your development of that muscle memory, since each class plays so differently.

If you look at the very top players, none of them multiclass, they are all single mains. Helseth always plays Mesmer. Sindrener always plays Daredevil. Chaith always plays engi, and so forth.

@Crinn.7864 said:

@Nimrud.5642 said:

Multiclassing actually hurts your effectiveness though. Gw2 is a fast paced game that requires tons of muscle memory. By trying to multiclass you are slowing down your development of that muscle memory, since each class plays so differently.

If you look at the very top players, none of them multiclass, they are all single mains. Helseth always plays Mesmer. Sindrener always plays Daredevil. Chaith always plays engi, and so forth.

Im not trying to invalidate your reasoning but also, there is Drazeh, Phanta, Toker, Misha and ROM who played 2 or more classes in tournaments effectively. Being around 1700 games played I'm finally getting a somewhat sophisticated look on all classes and my personal meta is slowly but surely developing. Which probably will be: daredevil, holo, SB/war but in my case it still takes some more multiclassing to be a 100% sure about this. No wonder I never got out of gold... :)

Anyways, I want my juicy little answers!!! :)

@Nimrud.5642 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:

@Nimrud.5642 said:

Im not trying to invalidate your reasoning but also, there is Drazeh, Phanta, Toker, Misha and ROM who played 2 or more classes in tournaments effectively. Being around 1700 games played I'm finally getting a somewhat sophisticated look on all classes and my personal meta is slowly but surely developing. Which probably will be: daredevil, holo, SB/war but in my case it still takes some more multiclassing to be a 100% sure about this. No wonder I never got out of gold... :)

Anyways, I want my juicy little answers!!! :)

Yeah but those players only picked up new classes because their original main got completely pushed out of the meta. Example: ROM picked up druid because warrior was completely trash for tourneys at the time.

And there are some classes that play similarly enough that they can be dual mained decently. For example I know a lot of thieves will play power rev as a off class, and warrior is a popular off-class for necromancers. However a lot of classes cannot be dual mained at all. For example I've never heard of someone dual maining necromancer and thief with any degree of success, simply because the classes teach completely opposite habits.

Archived