should i re roll?

BadSanta.6527

hello guys , im aranger main and ranger -pet class and animal in genral are my favorite but i dont think ilike the diraction the class is going to . first druid is good e spec but it is not aranger it did gave ranger alot of good things but iwas really looking for something els and then came the soul beast.so soul beast idont know how to talk about it so i will start from the begining -:i made pieace with that ranger will never get shape shifter e spec but merg with class to do what kick and bait like ireally need to invest skill points in order to bite?dagger - why this is condi and not apower or hybridestance - not actully use unless you traid for them and even so its not amazing.condi - same set up the only diffrent between hot and pof will be merg with pet vs astral force .animation - this one is a hugh disappointment imean look all this amazing effects of the rest of the e spec like comon why ? soul beast feels like core ranger .i was really looking for something new and idont think after 4 years with ranger i would be able to get them if you look at the runes of soul beast is condi ( sad but true -blame wiki if not )so should i reroll main and if so which class should igo so far all of them look really intersting and new compare to soul beastsorry for bad grammer and english

I came back to my Ranger when Soul Beast was announced because I love the idea of it. I don't like having pets and I didn't like Druid so I played a Dragon Hunter that I loved. Now....I don't like the new Guardian elite so I will be playing my Soul Beast instead. The point I am trying to make is play what makes you happy. If you don't like the Soul Beast, then play something else. It's a game....we're supposed to have fun. They said they made some changes so why don't you wait and see before you make a decision?

There will likely be a rebalance pass before launch and some fine tuning after. Druid is still perfectly viable in the meantime. If you want to main something else go ahead, but ranger and at least one of its E-specs are viable in every game mode. I wouldn't delete a 4 year old toon anyway, the birthday pressies are pretty spiffy.

I, too, main a Ranger. I haven't experienced playing a Soulbeast just yet; however, from what I've seen I'm not excited about the new specialization. The animation seemed to be mediocre and I still don't have a clear understanding of what my function will be as a Soulbeast. That said, I'm still keeping an open mind about the change and looking forward to figuring things out on my own. After all, Anet will continue tweaking the specializations well after the official release of PoF which makes it difficult to completely shun Soulbeast.

But.

If Soulbeast turns out to not be my cup of tea, then I'll probably roll with my Necromancer or Warrior. /shrug/

I'd recommend holding off on re-rolling until we're all well into PoF. No sense in counting your chickens before they hatch and no sense in re-rolling when the current specs aren't written in stone. You may find yourself pleasantly surprised if you give Soulbeast a month or two of play after release.

What's keeping you from playing your soulbeast as a power spec without dagger? Just because a new weapon is available doesn't mean you have to use it.

Personally I haven't played any of my tempests with warhorn and rarely use the shield on my chronomancers. I expect the new elites to be similarly flexible, and hopefully switching between e-specs for different builds and situations will be viable, too. If you don't like the soulbeast but enjoy your druid, why not keep playing that one?

As others already said, re-rolling sounds like a last resort, not something I'd do just because you don't like what might be coming. If you insist on choosing another main, consider getting an extra character slot (around 220 gold in gems these days) and keeping your ranger in case a future expansion or tweak to the soulbeast will come up with a new ranger build that you thoroughly enjoy.

For me, the biggest problem with Soulbeast (unlike Druid) is that while I could go "full druid" and be a complete heal monkey with some useful utilities, I could also choose to run a more vanilla ranger set up and benefit from things in the Druid line.

For Soulbeast, however, for me to be effective (in my testing and from vids I've seen) I pretty much have to play core ranger with the ability to merge occasionally to get a big hit in. And while maul does some great damage if you set up your might stacks and merge with the right pet at the right time, aside from being really fiddly, its still an easily evaded attack AND its most likely going to get nerfed into the ground before launch.

That being said, there is one place that this extra damage boost and pet merge comes into play well (and something I never tried that first test weekend, but others did) and that is they, the Soulbeast, are natural Deadeye hunters.

Now, hear me out.

I used to play TF2 a lot. In it you have classes that all have some great strengths, but they are also counter balanced by distinct weaknesses to one or two other classes. To that end I'm feeling like a lot of the classes this time through were built were certain kinds of counter play and in this case the deadeye has a distinct enemy in the Soulbeast, especially if they have the smokescale.

Archived