Engineers and the GWEN meta

Raven.1524

Every time there's a balance patch, there seems to be a lack of interest for engineers when group support comes to play.I get that most people prefer playing as a dps in pve or a roamer on wvw with that profession, but there are really big possibilities with some traits that never seemed to be of anyone's interest.For example, a healing engineer oriented more to the support side would be amazing, but there are things like the med kit that are genuinely useless, and the numbers can't even be compared to any other profession when it comes to that, even if the traits seem to support it.I get that the profession itself is pretty popular since you can get really big numbers on it in pve or wvw plus their mobility and stuff, but I feel like exploring things like the healing spec could also be an eye opener to explore another changes in other professions that are not so frequently used in a wvw comp.

I mean, the pve meta is constantly changing (except for the ele apparently), but wvw has been using pretty much the same GWEN meta for 5 years.-The Guardian as it's main tank, giving buffs, stab, and more specially with the firebrand now-The Warrior now even giving golden bubbles-The Elementalist as the best healer, now crowned as probably the best healing profession for big squads with the tempest-The Necromancer as the core dps class, now with the choice of ripping your face off with a power reaper or giving you cancer with the condi scourge

There has been some improvements like the possibility to add a herald in the meta for a burst heal and permanent condi clear with the tablet or permanent resistance

Aside from the healing engineer, would there be another profession that could have the potential to be a viable in a competitive 15-50man squad supporting the group and not only focusing on it's own survivability but the possibility of buffing it hasn't been explored since isn't so popular?Most of the people want new specializations to ave more variety on competitively viable builds, but why not make those varieties based on the existing traits instead, like a thief that gets auto revealed and crippled but venom shares and also heals with the shares consistently?There are probably better ideas and test builds out there though.

I will only say from my experience in online games why I personally would be one of the ones that would be the "dps" or the "roamer".Healers are usually:

1. The first to be blamed when skritt does down.
  2. When alone, pretty much screwed as you need to have your set-up/build set to maximize support which kills off most of your damage output and in many times even your defense.
  3. Could at times get me in "Autopilot mode" if I'm doing the same set up non-stop to perform the best to make sure no one dies. That's not safe as if my brain completely drones out, it will start making mistakes. Being the healer and making mistakes lead to death and while I personally don't mind the stench, those that are dead do mind.

As for Elementalists, the difference I see in them though is while yes they can't really do both that well, but they do decent damage if their build is mostly healer. I see them somewhat of the Redmage types.

Also, careful with the whole "giving you cancer" thing from the Necromancer remark. Can see some mod (or someone who likes reporting) causing trouble for that.

@Raven.1524 said:Every time there's a balance patch, there seems to be a lack of interest for engineers when group support comes to play.I get that most people prefer playing as a dps in pve or a roamer on wvw with that profession, but there are really big possibilities with some traits that never seemed to be of anyone's interest.For example, a healing engineer oriented more to the support side would be amazing, but there are things like the med kit that are genuinely useless, and the numbers can't even be compared to any other profession when it comes to that, even if the traits seem to support it.I get that the profession itself is pretty popular since you can get really big numbers on it in pve or wvw plus their mobility and stuff, but I feel like exploring things like the healing spec could also be an eye opener to explore another changes in other professions that are not so frequently used in a wvw comp.

I mean, the pve meta is constantly changing (except for the ele apparently), but wvw has been using pretty much the same GWEN meta for 5 years.-The Guardian as it's main tank, giving buffs, stab, and more specially with the firebrand now-The Warrior now even giving golden bubbles-The Elementalist as the best healer, now crowned as probably the best healing profession for big squads with the tempest-The Necromancer as the core dps class, now with the choice of ripping your face off with a power reaper or giving you cancer with the condi scourge

There has been some improvements like the possibility to add a herald in the meta for a burst heal and permanent condi clear with the tablet or permanent resistance

Aside from the healing engineer, would there be another profession that could have the potential to be a viable in a competitive 15-50man squad supporting the group and not only focusing on it's own survivability but the possibility of buffing it hasn't been explored since isn't so popular?Most of the people want new specializations to ave more variety on competitively viable builds, but why not make those varieties based on the existing traits instead, like a thief that gets auto revealed and crippled but venom shares and also heals with the shares consistently?There are probably better ideas and test builds out there though.

Completely agree!

@Raven.1524 said:I mean, the pve meta is constantly changing (except for the ele apparently), but wvw has been using pretty much the same GWEN meta for 5 years.Lolwat?

Have you missed the past couple of years of WvW? The meta has been GRN since HoT (guard/rev/necro). Its only now that warrior come into play again. Eles have been dumped to range and any zerg would take another guard over them.

Scrapper has also been one of the best small scalers since HoT. Not so much now though, condi scourge has rendered both power melee and condi ranged specs obsolete.

I've come to the conclusion the engineer is merely a "tinkertoy" class if you want to do anything or get anything done play something different. The current purpose of the engineer is that it has no purpose. It needs a complete core rewrite, I mean we use tools to fight with,...... Who uses tools as a weapon? You use ........ as an engineer tools to MAKE weapons. It seems to become a collection of half developed ideas that have been stripped down to a almost useless level of mediocrity. In WvW I love to see the -El "Yolomancer"- that blue glow highlights an easy kill target. You know if you throw conditions on them least 3 after the 4.5 seconds of 'glory" they drop like the fragile glass cannon they are. The lightbright show, signals to anyone near their greatest asset is their greatest downfall. I try to play my Engineer in WvW but after about 5 minutes I always swap to my Scourge. Now the scourge, now that class has some versatility. because, after the "newness" wears off, and things stay as they are. The concept of playing an engineer will be considered a joke. Aye they are now the "Masters of mediocrity and self destruction" I carry two legendaries on my Engineer Quip and HMS Divinity. I just want the engineer class to engineer a proper solution. The concept of the Lightbright warrior seems far from what the enginner should be, the masters of mechanical mayhem.

Archived