Which WvW meta do I prefer

Roxanne.6140

It is a wish thats not gonna happen. There is always a favor in meta, i am slightly towards melee train, it is more fun to me anyway. But i also love to see range gets more play as well. Maybe the golden ratio is 65% melee 35% range.

I wish to see condi spam, aoe area denial got tone down, boon spam nerf hard, cc spam reduced. I believe that is why good melee fight ruined.

@Crossaber.8934 said:It is a wish thats not gonna happen. There is always a favor in meta, i am slightly towards melee train, it is more fun to me anyway. But i also love to see range gets more play as well. Maybe the golden ratio is 65% melee 35% range.

I wish to see condi spam, aoe area denial got tone down, boon spam nerf hard, cc spam reduced. I believe that is why good melee fight ruined.

I don't see why they can't coexist. Melee keeps the pressure and range deals the damage. Just need to make range aoe bombs not be able to obliterate melee like what it is currently..

@ThunderPanda.1872 said:

@Crossaber.8934 said:It is a wish thats not gonna happen. There is always a favor in meta, i am slightly towards melee train, it is more fun to me anyway. But i also love to see range gets more play as well. Maybe the golden ratio is 65% melee 35% range.

I don't see why they can't coexist. Melee keeps the pressure and range deals the damage. Just need to make range aoe bombs not be able to obliterate melee like what it is currently..

65% melee and 35% ranged is coexist, man.What i mean is melee fights should be slightly more frequent as there are more classes are effective on melee range than pure ranged. Pirate ship mega is named so for a reason, 80%+ of group fights are 2 blob shooting each other until a well timed rush or portal bomb. Hammer train was no good either, 80%+ fights are pure melee, and range players are being forced to fight in melee range most of the time.

@Coldtart.4785 said:Your wording implies that this is ridiculous and impossible but it was reality in vanilla and vanilla had by far the best wvw meta.

Oops, sry if it came across that way. I guess in my definition, any side with more than 50% ratio counts as either melee or ranged. But I see now individual players have their own definition. I'm genuinely curious what the preference is.

So far, the votes seem to be skewed slightly towards melee but that could be just a response to WoD. You never know.

@Roxanne.6140 said:

@Coldtart.4785 said:Your wording implies that this is ridiculous and impossible but it was reality in vanilla and vanilla had by far the best wvw meta.

Oops, sry if it came across that way. I guess in my definition, any side with more than 50% ratio counts as either melee or ranged. But I see now individual players have their own definition. I'm genuinely curious what the preference is.

So far, the votes seem to be skewed slightly towards melee but that could be just a response to WoD. You never know.

The basic gvg comp for vanilla actually ran exactly 6 melee, 6 ranged and 3 pick in 15v15. Out in the field some would bring their pick team or leave them to roam but would typically still go for a 50/50 split on melee train and backlines.

beautiful meleetrains skkkkkrrr-ing through the apline bl's. Shouting hammerstun whenever you fly over to stun 5 targets. tempest healing their sorry asses for flying in too deep. Guardians dealing a little bit of casuality damage without going either full dps or full support, but doing a bit of both. Rangers absolutely useless (lol they still are!)

necro's with either corrupt shouts (less fucking spam of corrupt) and mesmers as veilbot. Thiefs non excistant and nothing that can 1 shot you in a tight meleeball raid

best meta ever.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:What is pirate ship meta anyways?

oh I love answering this question, no matter how many times

"rainisword.7860

The pirate ship meta has just become a more common place word used in wvw since the stab changes because its what pug fights have resulted in.

However, the pirate ship word and meta has actually been around for a while in the gvg scene but for different reasons. The main reason was because everyone ran super glassy ranged with plus condi, and had enough damage to 1 push each other, so people became to scared to push most times and a lot of gvgs resulted in pirate ship battles battles of range focus for about 3 minutes until someone spiked down an enemy and from there, people would use that downed to try to snowball the fight.

2 years ago"

"Deli.1302

Pirate ship = range meta

Two groups just stand and hurl range attacks at each other, like a battle between two pirate ships.

2 years ago"

@Roxanne.6140 said:

"rainisword.7860

The pirate ship meta has just become a more common place word used in wvw since the stab changes because its what pug fights have resulted in.

However, the pirate ship word and meta has actually been around for a while in the gvg scene but for different reasons. The main reason was because everyone ran super glassy ranged with plus condi, and had enough damage to 1 push each other, so people became to scared to push most times and a lot of gvgs resulted in pirate ship battles battles of range focus for about 3 minutes until someone spiked down an enemy and from there, people would use that downed to try to snowball the fight.

2 years ago"

"Deli.1302

Pirate ship = range meta

Two groups just stand and hurl range attacks at each other, like a battle between two pirate ships.

2 years ago"

Building catapults on the boat in bay would also have been an acceptable answer.

Depends on the incarnation.

HoT incarnations of both Pirate Ship and train were both garbage and literally anything is better as, including this crap we have now. Due to the obsession with hard counters and passive play, there really is not much choice, and thus no variety. Vanilla hammer trains was more or less the best despite leaving much to be desired

Ultimately none of this matters because the balance team can't and won't do anything about WvW, so just farm your pips. My condolences to the WvW team because I am sure they could do so much more but one of the aspects of gameplay seems completely out of their control.

The vanilla GWEN meta had by far the highest skill cap and the greatest reward for playing well.

Range heavy comps are boring. Full melee fights are monotonous, overly simplistic and way too random in outcome.

@Roxanne.6140 said:

"rainisword.7860

2 years ago

This, but not just because it was glassy backlines. Everyone used relatively glassy casters. Good GvG guilds would typically not open with blob-style synchronized well bombs. A pirateship was any comp specifically designed to try to one-push one or more enemies with a range bomb. Mostly, this involved either running more necros than usual, or using venoms.

In open field pugs/blobs the range bomb was the default strategy regardless - mostly due to the high number of players involved - so here the term simply described caster dominant groups and a general lack of melee pushes.

Archived