WvW needs remake

Xar.1387

In my opinion WvW is done so bad. The idea was good but reality shows that concept was wrong.ArenaNet should finally totally remake this mode.

They could replace WvW by 3 things: Battlegrounds, GvG and one big open WvW map.

• Battlegrounds: People could join solo or with friends and have a fun there. It would be the essence of current WvW mode: e.g 30/40 minutes of attacking/defending a castle/towers/camps. Tactical gameplay. 30v30v30 or something like that. And after all players could get a real reward for the win - per battleground. While right now people have to look for epic battles, whats so boring.

• GvG: a cool place to compete for guilds. With leaderboards and stuff.

• Just one open WvW map: something we know from the current mode. But one big map of it could be enough if some1 likes to run around and zerg.

1) I fail to see the point of this. You say right now people have to "look" for epic battles yet your mode suggest random joining solo or more. Thats WvW. Or do you mean that Anet should have employees doing shiftwork 24/7 to give anyone joining an instant 30v30v30 fight? I dont get it.

2) WvW is not GvG.

3) Far beyond the technical capability of the current GW2 engine.

I honestly don't think WvW is that bad right now, and i really don't think we need to make WvW into structured PvP with rankings for guilds or a RTS game with 30v30v30. That would make it overly competitive, draw in more toxic players and make it not fun for people who are currently playing it. Especially if you make winners get something and losers nothing like you described in your 30v30v30 scenario. Right now, everyone who participates can get rewards depending on how useful and commited they are. If you make people fight each other for rewards, yo're just making another MOBA style community and we all know how bad that is. Just look at sPvP forums.

Currently, WvW is fun the way it is.

If you're bored with it, try some PvP, or play PvE.

I agree, WvW needs a revamp, remake, rework, restart, overhaul, whatever you want to call it. I'm in the boat that would like to see the servers blown up and new ones made in their place, create a new league with 12 brand new server names, let people choose where to call home at the start then lock them in unless they pay for a transfer. 12 servers should be about right to get them all full/nearly full, this is the only future that will really work, otherwise WvW is just going to continue to keep slowly dieing.

Idea: GWwW - a separate game, probably minus PvE, only WvW and the balance + traits from before the traitmerge in 2015.That stuff would sell, I'm telling you.Only real problem back then was small scale condi, some OP stuff regarding some classes, paying for upgrades and nightcapping. And coverage on NA which wasn't really an issue on EU. Now list the problems WvW of 2017 has got.

@Jana.6831 said:Idea: GWwW - a separate game, probably minus PvE, only WvW and the balance + traits from before the traitmerge in 2015.That stuff would sell, I'm telling you.Only real problem back then was small scale condi, some OP stuff regarding some classes, paying for upgrades and nightcapping. And coverage on NA which wasn't really an issue on EU. Now list the problems WvW of 2017 has got.

What are the WvW problems anyway? Except the condi "meta" that people seem to dislike. I'm somewhat new to WvW so i probably don't see the problems like someone who played WvW for ages.

@Veprovina.4876 said:What are the WvW problems anyway? Except the condi "meta" that people seem to dislike. I'm somewhat new to WvW so i probably don't see the problems like someone who played WvW for ages.Yeah well, it's pretty hard to explain to someone who just started WvW. Back in the day WvW made sense and was a competitive game mode. Bigger wasn't necessarily better as a good group could beat bigger if they were better as back then there was still combos which have been forgotten, nowadays you can faceroll and will still be doing fine. We also have the tactivators that can be a problem, back in the day the WPs were 'bugged' so you could port every 3 mins if the keep was contested - was more fun than emergency waypoint half of the people miss anyway and which leads to a lot of chat-fights. Then you have the map changes of WvW, most recently the moving of OW which destroyed further strategical elements of WvW, like the x that were before that. AoE on the walls is deadly, hasn't always been the case, defending has become harder and so on and so on.

2,5 years ago WvW still was a strategical game mode - it's not anymore.

ETA. The damage is also too high - they 'miscalculated 2,5 years ago, no balance as there's probably no balance team at all, thanks to no combos anymore there's only 2-3 classes that are looked for in a squad.. and if I pull an all nighter I might be able to complete the list. The problems of wvw are all entangled with each other - solve one and the next will become apparent.

@Xar.1387 said:In my opinion WvW is done so bad. The idea was good but reality shows that concept was wrong.ArenaNet should finally totally remake this mode.

They could replace WvW by 3 things: Battlegrounds, GvG and one big open WvW map.

• Battlegrounds: People could join solo or with friends and have a fun there. It would be the essence of current WvW mode: e.g 30/40 minutes of attacking/defending a castle/towers/camps. Tactical gameplay. 30v30v30 or something like that. And after all players could get a real reward for the win - per battleground. While right now people have to look for epic battles, whats so boring.

• GvG: a cool place to compete for guilds. With leaderboards and stuff.

• Just one open WvW map: something we know from the current mode. But one big map of it could be enough if some1 likes to run around and zerg.

WVWVW needs GW3. Complete with all that you mentioned above and then some. Various PvP maps, 10 vs 10, 20 vs 20, 30 vs 30, 40 vs 40, one huge map, and full GVG support.

As for strategic game mode, I havent seen that since about 1 1/2 to 2 years after the game launched. Back then even tier 7/8 servers had populations at prime time at least that are equal to todays linked T3 and T2. I remember very well coordinated attacks across multiple maps etc. All of that is completely gone now.

Archived