PSA: When there is a scourge in the enemy team, calm down with the ally boon..giving(?)

reukies.6418

Whenever I see a scourge I try my best to just focus and kill it asap. It has a load of condi skills, without boon corruption (its punishment skills that most run at least 2 of), but still somewhat manageable as long as I don't boon up (until it's dead anyway) because its not instant death. But it becomes so much harder when I have boons coming on me and then it getting instantly corrupted. What you have done by putting boons on me has made the Scourge so much stronger and just damaged me. You have indirectly put stacks of burning and torment on me for maybe a second of might or fury or whatever. Not saying never use them, just wait a bit until the Scourge is dead.

This is most likely just an issue with lower ranks, but still frustrating.

I die a little inside when I see people sitting in Ghastly Breach while putting boons on and then it getting corrupted...

Literally when I see someone sitting in Ghastly Breach I look at the top left of my screen (ally health bars) and watch them putting boons up and then getting torment and burning stacks per boon they try...

I guess I am being kinda harsh on people because I did play Scourge a bit before I switched to weaver, so I know what skills to watch out for and what the big nopes are against one.

This is especially triggering when you load in and you see a Firebrand spamming boons at spawn.

Then again, there are so many skills/traits that apply boons on any profession that Scourge always has a field day. Way easier to get boons than to cleanse condis, it's ridiculous.

@Dawdler.8521 said:How the heck are you supposed to "calm down" with boons when every other trait give them out like candy?

Are you supposed to change your build and weapons on the fly in PvP?

I am no expert in classes, and have no idea what skills offer boons with skill cast on many classes. But if a skill gives allies boons for some damage, just don't use it. Area might + fury on all of us? That will cause more issues than help against a scourge. Each boon is a stack of torment + burn (more depending on how the scourge is spec'd) FOR EVERYONE YOU GAVE THOSE BOONS TO. It would be much more helpful if in that situation you use something that can deal pure damage or at the very least only give yourself the boon rather than the whole team.

I don't know all the classes, but there has to be some skill every class has that can be used that won't give the whole team boons while still doing good enough damage or being helpful in a way that doesn't team boon (team cleanse for example).

There is also baiting the Scourge into using punishment skills first by having 2 or 3 boons or once you see Ghastly breach+ the trail skill has been popped and are on CD, cleanse+ team boon all you want.

I would rather not have a 2v1 against a scourge be a disadvantage for us when my teammate thinks they are helping me by giving me all the boons under the sun.

While a strategy change might be necessary to deal with current Scourge, and this post has a point...

Let's not forget the obvious issue here that if we have a class that counters a major mechanic used by essentially every other build so core to gameplay...there's a problem.

I actually noticed that, when fighting Scourges, gaining stability is just my way of instantly fearing myself. Almost all the time. That's absurd.

@LUST.7241 said:This is especially triggering when you load in and you see a Firebrand spamming boons at spawn.

Then again, there are so many skills/traits that apply boons on any profession that Scourge always has a field day. Way easier to get boons than to cleanse condis, it's ridiculous.

So basically Firebrand is useless in pvp atm? I am honestly dissapointed by this "elite" spec performance in this mode. I love the idea of it, I want to play it, but it's "fuck you, pvp is not for you if you play FB".

@MichalAniol.5807 said:

@LUST.7241 said:This is especially triggering when you load in and you see a Firebrand spamming boons at spawn.

So basically Firebrand is useless in pvp atm? I am honestly dissapointed by this "elite" spec performance in this mode. I love the idea of it, I want to play it, but it's "kitten you, pvp is not for you if you play FB".

Same goes for Spellbreaker for PvE. Same goes for ranger in WvW. However FB is far from useless in PvP. That is if you are a FB that's worth your weight in your division that is.

@MichalAniol.5807 said:

So basically Firebrand is useless in pvp atm? I am honestly dissapointed by this "elite" spec performance in this mode. I love the idea of it, I want to play it, but it's "kitten you, pvp is not for you if you play FB".

Firebrand is excellent in sPvP as far as Quaggan knows.

@MichalAniol.5807 said:

Not really, FB is really really strong. From what I have seen FB relies on having a lot of boons on them giving them really good survivability and damage PLUS they make everyone on their team dish out really high DPS. However Scourges will punish(ment) you and whoever you gave boons to, to death.

Also note that people say Scourge + fb in a team pretty much wins. Which is true...sometimes. When I used to play scourge and had an FB on my team I was happy, free win! Until I realised we kept losing against 1 scourge who kept corrupting all the boon the FB gave us...basically as it currently stands FBs have to play really carefully cause they can completely destroy a team (enemy team or their own).

The best thing to do (imo) as FB while against scourge in enemy team in a team fight is to focus the scourge asap, give your team quickness + team cleanses. Once it is dead, go crazy with all your boons and win the fight. Of course that is harder and messier in practice.

@Jackalrat.5493 said:While a strategy change might be necessary to deal with current Scourge, and this post has a point...

Let's not forget the obvious issue here that if we have a class that counters a major mechanic used by essentially every other build so core to gameplay...there's a problem.

I actually noticed that, when fighting Scourges, gaining stability is just my way of instantly fearing myself. Almost all the time. That's absurd.

Agree 100%, boons = good, conditions = bad. But against scourges, boon = conditions = bad.

I mean it is not healthy that some classes can have 32442331 boons at one time either. That needed a counter which is why punishment skills are here now...which for every one of those 32442331 boons you have will give you x2 the condis! :D ... :(. We need a toning down on all the boons and conditions in this game imo.

Well the thing is its not like players intentionally create builds that revolve around boons. Its that nearly every skill and trait gives boons in some way. So you are being punished because of uncontrollable game mechanics.

Its ironic that initially guardian was suppose to be THE boon oriented class. Now everyone can nearly have a full row of boons with ease.

There are a lot of traits that give people boons automatically. Its ridiculous to say well don't use those traits when they are on some of the strongest builds. Im fine with having to use condition cleanses but with this stupid bug there is no amount of condition cleanses in the world to keep up with the boon currupts. The answer is fixing that dumb bug immediately not asking everyone else to adjust to it.

@MichalAniol.5807 said:

No, they are really good...if they use the right build. Bunker Firebrand is stupidly sustainable. Problem is, there are Firebrands that don't follow the build which just severely handicaps your team.

@brannigan.9831 said:There are a lot of traits that give people boons automatically. Its ridiculous to say well don't use those traits when they are on some of the strongest builds. Im fine with having to use condition cleanses but with this stupid bug there is no amount of condition cleanses in the world to keep up with the boon currupts. The answer is fixing that kitten bug immediately not asking everyone else to adjust to it.

Wait what bug? As far as I know punishment skills work as intended against boons.

Kinda ridiculous to say something is OP when it can be made trash if boon generation wasn't so high. Literally, if we didn't have so many boons as we have now, scourge would lose so much damage. Which is why people find it sucky in PvE, mobs don't really use many boons.

@Aza.2105 said:Well the thing is its not like players intentionally create builds that revolve around boons. Its that nearly every skill and trait gives boons in some way. So you are being punished because of uncontrollable game mechanics.

Its ironic that initially guardian was suppose to be THE boon oriented class. Now everyone can nearly have a full row of boons with ease.

But at that points its risk vs reward. If you know that skill A will do a lot of damage and also gives you some boons. You can either use it now and make the skill do a lot of damage, except it also damaged you because of that boon it put. Or you know...use that other skill that does moderate damage and gives no boon for now until the scourge used its punishments or is dead.

There are also situations you want to use the "skill A" to bait the scourge into using its punishment against you so you can use all the other skills with boons at your disposal. Playing the baiting game is risky though, depends on how ballsy the enemy scourge is and how much boons you need to have for them to think its time to use punishment skills.

Even then, a skill such as "skill A" is fine. You are not dooming your entire team with it. It all goes to shit when someone uses skills that gives boons (notice the plural) to ALL TEAM MEMBERS. That is the main point of this thread. I don't care how helpful you think this team buffing skill is, when there is a scourge around do not use it. It is not a massive problem if it is 1 boon each for the whole team(like quickness for the entire team as someone else pointed out), it's when they spam all the boons they can at the team.

@Chaith.8256 said:The amount of scourge corrupts are going to be about 40% less after Path of Corruption stops making F2 corrupt 4 boons on the whole field instantly. So just wait until this afternoon before discussing Scourge countermeasures

Even after that gets fixed, it still stands. Don't boon your whole team with all the boons you have while a scourge is around. It will still melt you. More boons = more stacks of torment and burn per boon.

Eles don't have a choice in the matter. The class sucks if you take neither arcane nor water, and both of them rely on boons to be useful (Arcane because a minor trait gives AoE boons on attunement, Water because you need regen for cleanse and you might as well afk if you don't have cleanse, it might actually be more effective).

@reukies.6418 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:The amount of scourge corrupts are going to be about 40% less after Path of Corruption stops making F2 corrupt 4 boons on the whole field instantly. So just wait until this afternoon before discussing Scourge countermeasures

Even after that gets fixed, it still stands. Don't boon your whole team with all the boons you have while a scourge is around. It will still melt you. More boons = more stacks of torment and burn per boon.

I disagree. Without bugged F2 and without standing in Ghastly Breach, you're not going to be totally cleaned of boons, meaning he'll not be corrupting less boons if you spam less. Resume boon spam, try to cover the good ones. Now, with two Scourges present, forget that last point.

Just make sure you're not making a dingus move by taking ticks from Ghastly Breach to revive or be aggressive.

@P Fun Daddy.1208 said:Eles don't have a choice in the matter. The class sucks if you take neither arcane nor water, and both of them rely on boons to be useful (Arcane because a minor trait gives AoE boons on attunement, Water because you need regen for cleanse and you might as well afk if you don't have cleanse, it might actually be more effective).

With all that torment spam, IT IS more effective to AFK lmao

Archived