Mesmer Scepter Redesign Concept

Treetoptrickster.4205

New auto functions more like the necro scepter auto. There's a very quick visible line that comes out of the scepter and strikes the target, but there's no functional projectile. VFX updated for more pink shattery glowies around the scepter and a larger pink shattery pulse at the target.

Auto Chain:

1. Ether Bolt - Strike your foe's mind, inflicting confusion.
  2. Ether Blast - Strike your foe's mind again, inflicting confusion.
  3. Ether Strike - Scramble your foe's mind, inflicting confusion equal to the number of illusions you have targeting them. Always applies at least 1 stack.

Skill 2: Mirror CounterBlock attacks for up to 1 second. If the cast completes, summon 2 clones on your target that cast your auto chain, but don't apply extra confusion on Ether Strike.

- CounterspellStop blocking and cast a refracted bolt that blinds and applies torment to victims it passes through. Will not summon clones.

Skill 3: Confusing ImagesChannel a beam that damages and confuses your foe and enemies between them and you.

It is an improvement however I'm not sure it scratches the itch I have with this weapon. I think Anet needs to decide what this weapon does because since Axe and Staff ambush were introduced Sceptre has no real niche where I would use it. I think it needs to either grab a lot more utility or a lot more single target damage, I would prefer utility personally - with disabling conditions and effects.

@Coulter.2315 said:It is an improvement however I'm not sure it scratches the itch I have with this weapon. I think Anet needs to decide what this weapon does because since Axe and Staff ambush were introduced Sceptre has no real niche where I would use it. I think it needs to either grab a lot more utility or a lot more single target damage, I would prefer utility personally - with disabling conditions and effects.

Well the niche in this case would be high single target condi damage and block access to allow people to burst themselves on your blocks.

The change to activation of skill 2 is great to me, I loathe its current on-block-trigger mechanic. However, I'd like the effect of aa chain 3 to be on skill 2, and the clone generation to stay on the aa, because it gives unique flavor to the weapon (ideally, AA 3rd chain should apply 1 confusion and summon a clone, and skill 2 should apply confusion based on the number of illusions active and summon 1 clone).

About aa visuals: either make it a non projectile attack (similar to necro's), or make the projectiles big and pretty. Overall, scepter's animations need some work.

Depending on the numbers and the speed of the attacks, these changes could help the scepter. The weapon needs some love, just like the staff.

@bart.3687 said:The change to activation of skill 2 is great to me, I loathe its current on-block-trigger mechanic. However, I'd like the effect of aa chain 3 to be on skill 2, and the clone generation to stay on the aa, because it gives unique flavor to the weapon (ideally, AA 3rd chain should apply 1 confusion and summon a clone, and skill 2 should apply confusion based on the number of illusions active and summon 1 clone).

About aa visuals: either make it a non projectile attack (similar to necro's), or make the projectiles big and pretty. Overall, scepter's animations need some work.

Depending on the numbers and the speed of the attacks, these changes could help the scepter. The weapon needs some love, just like the staff.

The clone generation was moved away from the auto attack just so that clones can copy the whole chain without it being obvious that a particular guy's attacks are the ones summoning illusions. It also allows the clone summoning capabilities of the block to be raised to 2 clones.

The attack is no longer a projectile. It functions identically to the necro, except there is a streak of feint streak pink that shoots from the scepter to the target. The streak is more of an indicator of which target is attacking you and when they are since the other effects are a pink glittery stick waving around and a pink explosion around the head of the target.

@Treetoptrickster.4205 said:

@bart.3687 said:The change to activation of skill 2 is great to me, I loathe its current on-block-trigger mechanic. However, I'd like the effect of aa chain 3 to be on skill 2, and the clone generation to stay on the aa, because it gives unique flavor to the weapon (ideally, AA 3rd chain should apply 1 confusion and summon a clone, and skill 2 should apply confusion based on the number of illusions active and summon 1 clone).

The clone generation was moved away from the auto attack just so that clones can copy the whole chain without it being obvious that a particular guy's attacks are the ones summoning illusions. It also allows the clone summoning capabilities of the block to be raised to 2 clones.

The attack is no longer a projectile. It functions identically to the necro, except there is a streak of feint streak pink that shoots from the scepter to the target. The streak is more of an indicator of which target is attacking you and when they are since the other effects are a pink glittery stick waving around and a pink explosion around the head of the target.

Interesting thoughts on moving the clone generation. I'm not sure how I like the only clone generation on scepter being tied to failing to block an attack, but I like the idea behind that change. I think this needs more work though. Well maybe not, but a rebranding. You improved the block, I think you improved Scepter 3 but not really sure what you mean by it, its arguable whether you improved the auto chain or not (one negative of this change is that due to scepter being one of only a few weapons where you can perform the full auto chain without being in combat, you can "waste" the first 2 skills in it before engaging in combat and have a clone summoned immediately as soon as you engage in combat), but you haven't redesigned the weapon. Does this mean that overall you are satisfied with its skills and what its purpose is and just think it needs a buff? Or are you trying to give it a more unique identity?

@OriOri.8724 said:

Interesting thoughts on moving the clone generation. I'm not sure how I like the only clone generation on scepter being tied to failing to block an attack, but I like the idea behind that change. I think this needs more work though. Well maybe not, but a rebranding. You improved the block, I think you improved Scepter 3 but not really sure what you mean by it, its arguable whether you improved the auto chain or not (one negative of this change is that due to scepter being one of only a few weapons where you can perform the full auto chain without being in combat, you can "waste" the first 2 skills in it before engaging in combat and have a clone summoned immediately as soon as you engage in combat), but you haven't redesigned the weapon. Does this mean that overall you are satisfied with its skills and what its purpose is and just think it needs a buff? Or are you trying to give it a more unique identity?

It's not on failing. The new Mirror Counter blocks every attack during the 1s cast time, and so long as you don't cancel it it summons 2 clones. If you do cancel it it performs the attack instead of summoning clones.

There's actually no functionality change to Skill 3 as far as I know, current Confusing Images also can strike multiple targets along the beam path.

As for identity, I wanted scepter to be the mind melting weapon that stacks confusion, and causes you to blow yourself up wasting attacks on the block aspect of Mirror Counter.

I was satisfied with the scepter's purpose as a ranged condi weapon with good illusion generation and some defensive capability, I just though the whole thing could be better tied together using confusion on the auto, and allowing more blocks on skill 2 to synergize with confusion. The auto projectiles being removed was more to work with the idea of directly screwing with your opponent's mind.

I see, but to my mind, making clones cast full aa chain is an upgrade to scepter's deception anyway, so removing clone generation from 3rd aa part isn't neccessary. I also don't think that summoning 2 clones at once is a right way to go. It might make shatter burst too fast and too easy to prepare.

Oh okay, I see what you mean now. Fair enough, as long as it looks pretty :wink:

Also, did you think of any changes to Malicious Sorcery trait?Personally, I'd make scepter attacks faster baseline (it's vital for the weapon to work properly), and make MS a mesmer's version of Honed Axes:Malicious Sorcery: Gain bonus power while wielding scepter (optional). Confusing Images is now an AoE around your target (deals less damage & confusion to other foes). Scepter skills recharge faster.This way it would actually improve the weapon, not make it usable (as it does right now).

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention: I really like your idea of scepter applying only confusion. It would have a great synergy with Scepter's traitline (Illusions, Master of Misdirection trait).

@bart.3687 malicious sorcery increases your attack speed while wielding a scepter, not just increases the speed of scepter attacks. Making that attack speed increase baseline for scepter weapons would be a scepter buff, and overall a big nerf to that trait, since eveyrthing else would slow down while we were wielding scepter. I don't know how I feel about that off the top of my head, but I'll think about it some more.

@bart.3687 said:

I see, but to my mind, making clones cast full aa chain is an upgrade to scepter's deception anyway, so removing clone generation from 3rd aa part isn't neccessary. I also don't think that summoning 2 clones at once is a right way to go. It might make shatter burst too fast and too easy to prepare.

Oh okay, I see what you mean now. Fair enough, as long as it looks pretty :wink:

Also, did you think of any changes to Malicious Sorcery trait?Personally, I'd make scepter attacks faster baseline (it's vital for the weapon to work properly), and make MS a mesmer's version of Honed Axes:
Malicious Sorcery: Gain bonus power while wielding scepter (optional). Confusing Images is now an AoE around your target (deals less damage & confusion to other foes). Scepter skills recharge faster.
This way it would actually improve the weapon, not make it usable (as it does right now).

What about making scepter attacks faster baseline, and causing Malicious Sorcery to lower recharges, and cause Ether Strike to summon a clone if you don't have one? Or just causing it to summon a clone if you don't have three illusions.

@OriOri.8724 said:@bart.3687 malicious sorcery increases your attack speed while wielding a scepter, not just increases the speed of scepter attacks. Making that attack speed increase baseline for scepter weapons would be a scepter buff, and overall a big nerf to that trait, since eveyrthing else would slow down while we were wielding scepter. I don't know how I feel about that off the top of my head, but I'll think about it some more.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I've been thinking about it for some time, but if the removal of the bonus attack speed could lead to improvements to the scepter itself, then I think it would be a fair tradeoff. Of course, it's just an idea, everything needs testing so that it can be implemented properly.

@Arlette.9684 said:Seeing how Axe is a full on offensive weapon that seems to be intended to take over scepter as the go to main hand condi weapon, and how Mesmer lacks a defensive 1 hander it would make more sense if they redesign it as a defensive option.

Well I turned it into a channeled block with a blind on top so it's not all offense.

@Arlette.9684 said:Seeing how Axe is a full on offensive weapon that seems to be intended to take over scepter as the go to main hand condi weapon, and how Mesmer lacks a defensive 1 hander it would make more sense if they redesign it as a defensive option.

I agree. I'd be much happier if Scepter was a defensive or support/utility weapon than pure damage. We already have sword for power and axe for condi, which makes scepter like a 5th wheel right now. If you run mirage there is simply no need to ever use the scepter in my opinion.

Hi, I really like the proposal you propose for the skills of scepter. Especially for the skill 3 of scepter "Confusing Images".

But, I would like something like that:

Confusing Images

Channel a beam of energy that damages and confuses your foe. Also shoots shorts secondary beams at foes near your target, that inflict confusion.

Damage (x6): 1,300x6 ConfusionNumber of Targets: 5Range: 900Range of shorts secondary beams: 450

It would be very similar to skill Greatsword ambush "Split Surge".

But in general, in the other skill of the scepter, I see it well, except for skill 2, some changes would make it. And in the AA skill of the scepter, I would change it in the third attack that, when you have 3 illusions, inflicts Confusion and not another extra Torment.

Something like:

Ether Clone

Deliver a damaging attack directly to your target. Summon a clone that casts Ether Bolt. Inflict confusion instead if you have the maximum number of illusions.

Damage: 275x1 Torment (5s)x1 Confusion (5s)Range: 900

And then, I would like to focus and talk about the "Confusion" condition, I like that the scepter is focused on the "Confusion" and "Torment", in fact, the skill 2 of the scepter "Counterspell" is versatile if you combine it with the trait "Ineptitude" + "Malicious Sorcery", you get every 4s inflict x2 Confusion (With Counterspell).

The mesmer, what you really need, is more support or strength in the "confusion" condition, a specialty that reinforces this special condition. As a increase % in damage to the "Confusion" if the enemy has torment, etc.

Something like:

Malicious Sorcery

Increases attack speed while wielding a scepter. Reduces recharge on scepter skills. Confusion and Torment inflict more damage if the enemy don't use any skill or attack in a short time.

Increased Attack Speed: 20%Recharge Reduced: 20%Damage increase: 10% (10% + 10% = 20% damage increase)Umbral of time: 1s

Or also, other idea:

Malicious Sorcery

Increases attack speed while wielding a scepter. Reduces recharge on scepter skills. Inflict more Confusion when the enemy suffer torment.

Increased Attack Speed: 20%Recharge Reduced: 20%x3 ConfusionUmbral of torment for inflict confusion: 5

Other idea:

Malicious Sorcery

Increases attack speed while wielding a scepter. Reduces recharge on scepter skills. Confusion inflict more damage if the enemy have torment.

Increased Attack Speed: 20%Recharge Reduced: 20%Damage increase: 20%Umbral of torment for damage increase of confusion: 5

In conclusion, I really like the idea of the post, and my favorite weapon is the scepter for Mesmer, especially for the Confusion and torment. It's the closest thing to the mesmer of Guild Wars.

Usually, some trait needs the mesmer for the Confusion, a damage increase or something similar. There is no excuse, since the confusion damage is the same or similar as the damage of the bleeding, it is not like before.

@Arlette.9684 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:Malicious sorcery is already a very strong trait due to the attack speed increase affecting all of our skills instead of just scepter. It does not need any buffs.

Orly? I’ve been running the trait for a while now, never realised. Bugged I assume?

No, it's intentional I guess. Whenever you have scepter equipped and MS traited, your actions (not only attacks, but even gathering) will be 20% faster. It's been this way for years now.It's a cool feature, I agree, but due to how slow scepter is without this trait, it's a must-have if you plan on using scepter as your primary weapon. So the trait is basically not like a nice addition you can choose to have or not while using scepter, more like a fix to the weapon with some side effect attached to it.

@OriOri.8724 said:Malicious sorcery is already a very strong trait due to the attack speed increase affecting all of our skills instead of just scepter. It does not need any buffs.

It is not very good to have a GM trait in which, only contributes a + 20% of speed cast, and only depending on the scepter, if it was in the case that it is in general, while you hold other weapons, then yes, but now it is only for the scepter.

And since it's an exclusive GM trait just for the scepter, I'd prefer something more focused for the conditions, like the GM scepter Necro trait. But in this case, an increase of damage to the Confusion, since the other professions have at least one trait that increases the damage. The mesmer does not have any trait that increases a% damage condition.

I remember that the old GM trait of the scepter, granted +300 damage condition. A + 20% speed cast, yes, but for all weapons, not only when you hold the scepter, that's why I prefer something better than that.

A + 20% confusion damage (in general, for all weapons, no while wield a scepter), and a addition a 20% recharge in skills of scepter.

That seems that you prefer the worst for the mesmer, I'm sure that you do not play with the scepter, that's why you do not know what conditions that GM trait, so a + 20% increase in damage to the Confusion. You dont like it, because you know you hate the mesmer, and that would be a headache for you.

Edit: What I do not understand, and is not logical, how a GM trait dedicated only to the scepter, otorge a + 20% speed cast ... if it was for the sword or greatsword, I would understand, because it is speed for attack and power damage, but for the scepter ... when it is a weapon of damage condition ... is good if it is a damage increase for conditions.

@Angel de Lyssa.4716 said:

It is not very good to have a GM trait in which, only contributes a + 20% of speed cast, and only depending on the scepter, if it was in the case that it is in general, while you hold other weapons, then yes, but now it is only for the scepter.

And since it's an exclusive GM trait just for the scepter, I'd prefer something more focused for the conditions, like the GM scepter Necro trait. But in this case, an increase of damage to the Confusion, since the other professions have at least one trait that increases the damage. The mesmer does not have any trait that increases a% damage condition.

I remember that the old GM trait of the scepter, granted +300 damage condition. A + 20% speed cast, yes, but for all weapons, not only when you hold the scepter, that's why I prefer something better than that.

A + 20% confusion damage (in general, for all weapons, no while wield a scepter), and a addition a 20% recharge in skills of scepter.

That seems that you prefer the worst for the mesmer, I'm sure that you do not play with the scepter, that's why you do not know what conditions that GM trait, so a + 20% increase in damage to the Confusion. You dont like it, because you know you hate the mesmer, and that would be a headache for you.

Edit: What I do not understand, and is not logical, how a GM trait dedicated only to the scepter, otorge a + 20% speed cast ... if it was for the sword or greatsword, I would understand, because it is speed for attack and power damage, but for the scepter ... when it is a weapon of damage condition ... is good if it is a damage increase for conditions.

Excuse me, but I wouldn't say that @OriOri.8724 hates mesmer nor has little knowledge of the profession LOL.

As I said, the attack speed bonus on MS is a fix to scepter's otherwise low attack speed.Also, your suggestion wouldn't make scepter better. What it would do is improve condi mesmer overall and I highly doubt that condi mesmer needs buffs at the moment (at least in PvP).Imo, they shouldn't focus on condi aspect of scepter. Axe is simply better as a full condi option. Scepter has potential to become nice hybrid weapon, and we should embrace it. Let me remind you that hybrid was the original concept for scepter (it used to inflict no conditions on AA and Skill 2, only confusion on Skill 3).What I would like to see done to scepter is more focus on power aspect of the weapon, skill 2 reworked in PvE, one source of AoE, attacks made faster baseline, ambush reworked to be faster + more power and less condi oriented, and animations/sounds/visuals improvements. Think that would make scepter much more fun to use.

@bart.3687 said:

Excuse me, but I wouldn't say that @OriOri.8724 hates mesmer nor has little knowledge of the profession LOL.

As I said, the attack speed bonus on MS is a fix to scepter's otherwise low attack speed.Also, your suggestion wouldn't make scepter better. What it would do is improve condi mesmer overall and I highly doubt that condi mesmer needs buffs at the moment (at least in PvP).Imo, they shouldn't focus on condi aspect of scepter. Axe is simply better as a full condi option. Scepter has potential to become nice hybrid weapon, and we should embrace it. Let me remind you that hybrid was the original concept for scepter (it used to inflict no conditions on AA and Skill 2, only confusion on Skill 3).What I would like to see done to scepter is more focus on power aspect of the weapon, skill 2 reworked in PvE, one source of AoE, attacks made faster baseline, ambush reworked to be faster + more power and less condi oriented, and animations/sounds/visuals improvements. Think that would make scepter much more fun to use.

Axe is locked behind an expansion pack so using it as the condition damage choice over scepter for everyone and moving Scepter away from condi makes the only condi mainhand weapon pay to play.

@bart.3687 said:

Base mesmer wants to talk to you ; we have no axe , Please dont delete our only full condi weaponEdit; didnt saw tritoped allready said this (:

@FaboBabo.3581 said:

@bart.3687 said:

Base mesmer wants to talk to you ; we have no axe , Please dont delete our only full condi weaponEdit; didnt saw tritoped allready said this (:

@bart.3687 said:

Axe is locked behind an expansion pack so using it as the condition damage choice over scepter for everyone and moving Scepter away from condi makes the only condi mainhand weapon pay to play.

Well, yea, I see the point. I own PoF so having axe is kind of natural to me.But I've never said they should nerf scepter's condi application (besides the ambush, but if it was made less condi but faster and easier to perform then I think it's a good trade off. +Also, if you can ambush it means that you have PoF and then you can go axe anyway, so having scepter's ambush be more hybrid rather than full condi would be better imo), I just think the weapon would be much more interesting as a combination of power/condi. You'd still be able to use it as full condi just like you can right now. Frankly, to me scepter's overall damage is so-so, okayish (Confusing Images is a definition of a proper hybrid skill), I'd just like some more power damage (mostly on AA, maybe a little longer torment duration too) and Ambush changed because atm it's totally condi focused with really low power damage (on top of being clunky overall). I'll repeat, what Scepter needs the most is a cure to its clunkiness: faster attacks base, prettier+smoother animations, skill 2's mechanic changes, maybe some sort of aoe, and so on.

Archived