[PvE] Ranged (Staff) build - need help, please

alexscr.4269

Hello, mesmers.

I'm looking to make a ranged build that incorporates Staff and is more ranged oriented; and possibly, not that squishy.I would be doing general PvE, dungeons and some low-level fractals.

I have come up with this build and I would like some help to make it better, if possible, please.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAW7anELD1LjNoBWoBMrhlVDDdLcGqC+HwE4EssDUcCAA-jBCDQBOU5n5UC6OdDez8n/U/BAPBgjdRAu3+DkCYRlVA-e

Unfortunately, Staff is not a viable pve weapon. You can definitely use it for fun (for example IH ambush spam might stacking build), but it fails when it comes to being efficient in more serious pve.

Also, judging by your trait choices, I assume you plan on dealing damage through 3 iDuellists, but then there's very little reason to equipping the staff, imo.

@bart.3687 said:

Unfortunately, Staff is not a viable pve weapon. You can definitely use it for fun (for example IH ambush spam might stacking build), but it fails when it comes to being efficient in more serious pve.

Also, judging by your trait choices, I assume you plan on dealing damage through 3 iDuellists, but then there's very little reason to equipping the staff, imo.

Hmm, I understand. Then what build should I go with to build around Staff?

Here's a quick draft of a Shatter/Infinite Horizon build. Staff damage is pitiful outside of the Ambush skill, Chaos Vortex, so Infinite Horizon would work well with the build. However, that means the loss of Dune Cloak, and therefore the loss of Berserker or Renegade runes in favour of the Nightmare/Trapper combination. Besides that, since you specifically wanted a ranged--and presumably pure ranged--build, I left the secondary weapon set with a scepter, whereas the axe can generate clones faster with Lingering Thoughts.

I have personally done some preliminary tests with a similar build (using my current Phantasm Mirage runes, less-than-ideal sigils for the staff, and only 72% condition duration) and managed to squeeze out 9k DPS on the Fractal training golem (i.e. with no external buffs). This is comparison with the 6-7k average DPS I usually find in PUGs.

This is the build I used for a while in open world:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQFAGnsIiVoBOoBMMjlZjqMAqtkxsC2tPwv+3//H-jxxCQBoUJIAuAAVU5X70BgsHAgQ2fofq/AA-e

It's probably bad for group pve, but it's pretty fun for less demanding content (open world). It's super duper tanky thanks to full trailblazer. You basically keep your clones up and ambush (you might want to stand in front of your clones while ambushing so that you can get might & fury from their projectiles). Try to stay close to your target to strike it multiple times with your (and your clones') Winds of Chaos bouncing projectiles. Do not use iWarlock.

So you want a build that uses staff for open world, dungeons, and low level fractals? That's easy! Try this! It has good survivability, solid damage, and should be able to do all of the things you want to do (dungeons, low level fractals, open world):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDNohFMDWoBMMjlZjyf+7//vMAqtczMEWhWC-jxxHQBAZ/h5p+DteCAA4UAMO9BDU5XGVCSIgFrBA-e

You can always change axe to scepter if you prefer, although I think staff and axe play well with each other. The ability to double up the whirl combo on axe 2 when you have a chaos storm down adds some punch to your assault. On the other hand, you don't want to be at melee range when you run out of tricks and staff 2 is perfect for a quick teleport out of danger!

I went ahead and recorded a video of some gameplay using the build listed above with axe/torch and staff:

I went with the Infinite Horizon, suggested by @Ojimaru.8970, with Chaos instead of Dueling variant (got the Chaos inspiration from @AliamRationem.5172), but with Rabid gear until I get more Viper pieces. :smile:

My current build is this: LINK

Chaotic Transference gave me almost 200 condition damage, and I do nice damage and great survivability.

Thanks once again!

@alexscr.4269 said:I went with the Infinite Horizon, suggested by @Ojimaru.8970, with Chaos instead of Dueling variant (got the Chaos inspiration from @AliamRationem.5172), but with Rabid gear until I get more Viper pieces. :smile:

Chaotic Transference gave me almost 200 condition damage, and I do nice damage and great survivability.

Thanks once again!

Glad you enjoy it, but your choices in Illusions make no sense to me.· If you shatter frequently, it's better to go with Maim the Disillusioned and Master of Fragmentation instead of Phantasmal Haste and Phantasmal Force (I'd also take Bountiful Disillusionment instead of Chaotic Interruption in Chaos line on shatter build, but it's up to your preferences).· If you keep clones up, it's better to replace Illusions with Duelling imo.· If you really want to use Phantasm traits and keep Phantasms up, your equipped weaps' phants aren't the best options, especially on your current build. Keeping iWarlock up only makes sense on Power builds, and iMage isn't too good on any build. If you enjoy Phantasms gameplay I'd suggest going hybrid Pistol phantasm (you'll need Duelling for that), power Sword phantasm or maybe power Staff phantasm.

@alexscr.4269 said:I went with the Infinite Horizon, suggested by @Ojimaru.8970, with Chaos instead of Dueling variant (got the Chaos inspiration from @AliamRationem.5172), but with Rabid gear until I get more Viper pieces. :smile:

Thanks once again!

Well, I definitely like your utility choices (kind of hard not to, since you're using the ones I use in my build!), but I don't think your trait choices have good synergy. In my opinion, mirage and dueling should always go together for a condi build, even if it isn't shatter-heavy. My reasoning is that Critical Infusion and Sharper Images have particularly good synergy with condi mirage builds.

With mirage, vigor becomes an important offensive skill. You gain +150 condi damage while vigor is up through Nomad's Endurance and dodging more often means ambushing more often. With Infinite Horizon, that translates into a lot of additional clone attacks. And due to Sharper Images, a lot of those attacks will apply bleeding. That alone makes it worth taking, in my opinion.

That doesn't necessarily mean you need to drop Illusions, though. I just think you should choose either Illusions or Chaos rather than pairing the two together. If you take Illusions/Dueling/Mirage, go with a focus on shatters instead of ambush. The build is similar in that you generate clones, but instead of trying to maintain 3 clones and ambush as much as you can, you instead generate clones quickly so you can shatter them.

What I recommend you stay away from are phantasm builds. Phantasms are slower than clones and you benefit from keeping them in play so they have a chance to gain buffs and deliver damage. Traiting buffs to phantasms works against shatter and ambush builds. Obviously, shattering your phantasm negates the benefits of any traits you use to buff them! And if you're going to ambush, you should use clones.

There's nothing wrong with phantasms. I just don't think they're the best option for general use. They obviously work best in longer fights where they have time to deal some damage. Open world and small group play tends to favor faster builds like shatter and ambush.

On your particular trait choices, I'd switch Illusions to 3-3-3. Buff torch, scepter, and shatter instead of your phantasms. And since you're going to use shatters if you take illusions, I'd take the reduced cd and beefier burn damage on torch instead of the spotty +150 condi damage. Your chaos traits are good. If you end up dropping toughness you could take Chaotic Dampening for reduced staff cooldowns and better protection uptime.

Take this for what it's worth. I don't claim to be an expert on mesmer. In fact, I just recently picked it up and have been practicing various builds. So this is just my best understanding so far.

Edit: Actually, on Chaos GM traits I like Bountiful Disillusionment over Chaotic Interruption. Interrupts aren't reliable in PvE. But even with an ambush build you will shatter frequently, and all of the boons this trait grants are useful. You also get stability on demand and the boons apply to nearby allies as well! Nice!

Archived