Character names

Teurastaja.2437

Because whole Western Civilizations Way of life, Standards and its Culture is build upon Christianity, not Islam or Norse mythology.So, in Game originally created by American company, US are quite religious, names of Saints and/or "Holy" beings are generally highly respected, feared even.I myself do not mind this, but in the light of existence of other Major Religions it is literally hilarious.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:There's only a double standard if one things there's no substantive difference between naming a character after a deity that's no longer widely recognized and one that is revered by billions of people.

it's a super popular name in mexico. bet there are a ton of people playing this game who are literally called Jesus.

personally I would love a purple Jesus character. I would need an emote where my character licks their weapon before combat tho. need that rp cosplay boiis

also, there totally is a double standard as you can use names from other faiths that are widely practiced. only Jesus is off limits.

lastly, sentances. I would recommend using them next time.

edit: lol. this forum hates the Big Lebowski. shower me w downvotes if thats your opinion dudes B)

yet again another Character names topic today ;/ . so i will say this on this topic of names for your toons . anet should and needs to remove all Jesus names and other names that have anything at all to do with religion . and politics and government as well as removing and banning toons with inapropriate names . and make the banns life time of the game . for these facts it is a video game . and i do not want or need to see or hear inapropriate names religion names and or politics and government in my video games this is why i play video games to get away from that kitten crap !! like i said anet should just life time ban all them names fully

Here is an excerpt from Anet staff (although I don't know if he works there anymore) on reddit about the name policy. You can read the full comment via the link:https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3wsxb7/character_name_banned_now_picked_up_by_someone/cxz697n/

Essentially; if your name doesn't express hate and doesn't violate our game-rating we're probably gonna let it live on. This includes deity names. Going forward you're probably going to see Jesus Christ, God, and Allah running around Tyria.

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:yet again another Character names topic today ;/ . so i will say this on this topic of names for your toons . anet should and needs to remove all Jesus names and other names that have anything at all to do with religion . and politics and government as well as removing and banning toons with inapropriate names . and make the banns life time of the game . for these facts it is a video game . and i do not want or need to see or hear inapropriate names religion names and or politics and government in my video games this is why i play video games to get away from that kitten crap !! like i said anet should just life time ban all them names fullyDo you really get that upset over seeing a name? When I see offensive names I just roll my eyes and drive on. I'm not sure any name deserves a lifetime ban. It's almost as if you're wanting to create a safe space and subject everyone to some punishment of censorship just to protect your feelings. That's not cool, man. Not cool.

this is why i play video games to get away from that kitten crapNo it isn't. This game has a number of Gods, infinitely powerful beings, governments, wars and politics. If you're trying to escape that stuff this is the wrong game, buddy.

@Chickenooble.5014 said:

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:yet again another Character names topic today ;/ . so i will say this on this topic of names for your toons . anet should and needs to remove all Jesus names and other names that have anything at all to do with religion . and politics and government as well as removing and banning toons with inapropriate names . and make the banns life time of the game . for these facts it is a video game . and i do not want or need to see or hear inapropriate names religion names and or politics and government in my video games this is why i play video games to get away from that kitten crap !! like i said anet should just life time ban all them names fullyDo you really get that upset over seeing a name? When I see offensive names I just roll my eyes and drive on. I'm not sure any name deserves a lifetime ban. It's almost as if you're wanting to create a safe space and subject everyone to some punishment of censorship just to protect your feelings. That's not cool, man. Not cool.

this is why i play video games to get away from that kitten crapNo it isn't. This game has a number of Gods, infinitely powerful beings, governments, wars and politics. If you're trying to escape that stuff this is the wrong game, buddy.

not sure who this buddy is your talking to or speaking of at all . and not only that but you miss my points but that is ok i can get it . but i am sure anet will ban any one with some things like that with out a question at all . and i hope it is a life time game ban for them . bring in religion and politics or real world government topics and maters into video games never ends well when real life religion and politics or real world government topics are brought into video games . thus they should be banned for life . something that just does not belong in video games at all even

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:anet should and needs to remove all Jesus names and other names that have anything at all to do with religionBut how will they know if it is pronounced as /ˈdʒiːzəs/ or /heɪˈsuːs/?

AsqdC3u.png

does not matter if it has any thing at all to do with all Jesus names and other names that have anything at all to do with religion it should just be banned out right for life . something the game just does not need . and this would just add more problems than its worth so just ban it and not have problems works far more better

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:anet should and needs to remove all Jesus names and other names that have anything at all to do with religion

Then they would have to entirely remove Abaddon from the game and lore.

you as well miss my point of what i said . and i refer back to what i said and you need to reread what it is i did say and how i said it too. as what your saying does not have one thing at all to do with what i did say in the first place . and not only that it is part of the game of what your saying

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:anet should and needs to remove all Jesus names and other names that have anything at all to do with religion

They'd have to remove practically every name. Given the assorted number of saints across the various religions

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

you as well miss my point of what i said . and i refer back to what i said and you need to reread what it is i did say and how i said it too. as what your saying does not have one thing at all to do with what i did say in the first place . and not only that it is part of the game of what your saying

You do realize that Abaddon is the name for one of the various realms of the dead in various religious texts, right? Greek mythology (the religion of the Greeks turned into Greek Mythology), Judaism, Christianity.

So if the game were to ban anything related to real world religions, they would have to remove Abaddon and any assorted lore. Or at least rename it. It's hypocritical is it not if you say members can't use those names, but ANet can.

Plus, several religious names are popular names for regular folk. Do you have problems with people who name their humans: Matthew, Paul, John, Sarah, Ruth? And my display name is the phonetic spelling of the Japanese pronunciation of my name: Sarah. So you're saying I should be banned for life because of my real life legal name?

Goddess and God derived names are popular even in the modern day, particularly in Europe. Dianne is a good example. Still, I would prefer not to see the name "jesus" anything in GW2. There are several reasons for this I'll name a couple.

Tyria does not have an xtian faction. Introducing such a faction would wreck the entire story line and create massive social issues.

ANET has a franchise in China. Such a name would very likely be offensive to Chinese users and / or the Chinese government. I suspect this is a major obstacle to our returning to Cantha.

Many people, myself included, dislike xianity. I personally would feel pretty hostile to a player so named. In Star Trek Online, (STO) an NCsoft game, such names of ships are permitted. Ships and players so named are pretty much considered trolls.

No, let's keep those politics out of Tyria please.

@Seera.5916 said:

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

You do realize that Abaddon is the name for one of the various realms of the dead in various religious texts, right? Greek mythology (the religion of the Greeks turned into Greek Mythology), Judaism, Christianity.

So if the game were to ban anything related to real world religions, they would have to remove Abaddon and any assorted lore. Or at least rename it. It's hypocritical is it not if you say members can't use those names, but ANet can.

Plus, several religious names are popular names for regular folk. Do you have problems with people who name their humans: Matthew, Paul, John, Sarah, Ruth? And my display name is the phonetic spelling of the Japanese pronunciation of my name: Sarah. So you're saying I should be banned for life because of my real life legal name?

you fail to get what i am saying part ways . but for the religion stuff yes ban it fully from the game . that is something that does not have to do with the game or video games . and far as real life legal name why people do that stuff i will to this very day never understand that one at all . i play video games and never have or never ever will use my real life legal name or any thing even close to it .

using real life legal name is very breaking the game for me . it is like wanting a steak but instead you get a hot dog with no chips . or you want a good drink but are only given water .

@Seera.5916 said:

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

you fail to get what i am saying part ways . but for the religion stuff yes ban it fully from the game . that is something that does not have to do with the game or video games . and far as real life legal name why people do that stuff i will to this very day never understand that one at all . i play video games and never have or never ever will use my real life legal name or any thing even close to it .

using real life legal name is very breaking the game for me . it is like wanting a steak but instead you get a hot dog with no chips . or you want a good drink but are only given water .

You're missing the point. It's not about people using their real-life names of "Matthew" or "Paul" if they're named "Matthew" or "Paul," but rather your suggestion that all sources of religion within the game -- character names, conversation and presumably story -- should result in a ban. The game is rooted in religion. There are Gods that travel between planes of existence. There are lesser-beings that worship their own Gods. There is ethereal magic that flows through the world like some mystical life force.

You have an issue with names -- we get it. Just ignore religious names if you find them offensive.

Not everything deserves your anger. You'll be happier in life if you were to realize that.

@Chickenooble.5014 said:

@Seera.5916 said:

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

You're missing the point. It's not about people using their real-life names of "Matthew" or "Paul" if they're named "Matthew" or "Paul," but rather your suggestion that all sources of religion within the game -- character names, conversation and presumably story -- should result in a ban. The game is rooted in religion. There are Gods that travel between planes of existence. There are lesser-beings that worship their own Gods. There is ethereal magic that flows through the world like some mystical life force.

You have an issue with names -- we get it. Just ignore religious names if you find them offensive.

Not everything deserves your anger. You'll be happier in life if you were to realize that.

you still do not get the point at all and you missed politics i think they should be banned as well too from the game . but something that is in the game and is part of the game should not be banned thats being super stupid . i am talking about real world religions and goverments and politics that need to be and should be keep out of the game . as them real world things should be left in the real world and not brought at all into video games for any reason . just how i see it on this topic

@Celtic Lady.3729 said:So, a political name like Nevah Trump would really bother you?

being the last name is part of a real world now government that name should be banned . how ever the first name would be good . like i said and it is a very proven fact when politics of the real world come into video games it never ends well. and i seen a few foolish people getting banned for using that last name . as it is a real life real world name and part of a real world government . thus it should be banned fully from the game . keep that stuff the kitten out no need for it at all

@"Celtic Lady.3729" said:So, a political name like Nevah Trump would really bother you?

being the last name is part of a real world now government that name should be banned . how ever the first name would be good . like i said and it is a very proven fact when politics of the real world come into video games it never ends well. and i seen a few foolish people getting banned for using that last name . as it is a real life real world name and part of a real world government . thus it should be banned fully from the game . keep that stuff the kitten out no need for it at all

I'm calling BS. Give me a source that says, "politics of the real world and video games never end well," because I'm going to disagree with that.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:There's only a double standard if one things there's no substantive difference between naming a character after a deity that's no longer widely recognized and one that is revered by billions of people.

Sure, because -- according to your logic -- Islamic holy figures are not widely recognized and the religion does not harbor billions of faithful people? Hmm, let me think. You might be severely wrong there. ;)

Either remove all of the currently religiously connected names or leave them all in. Double-standards are never sending a positive message.

@Chickenooble.5014 said:

not sure who this buddy is your talking to or speaking of at all . and not only that but you miss my points but that is ok i can get it . but i am sure anet will ban any one with some things like that with out a question at all . and i hope it is a life time game ban for them . bring in religion and politics or real world government topics and maters into video games never ends well when real life religion and politics or real world government topics are brought into video games . thus they should be banned for life . something that just does not belong in video games at all even

Obviously you weren't here for S1 because it shows. There was actually a campaign and election during that first year. Sure sounds like gov't to me. Perm Ban indeed (idiocy). Don't like a name then just ignore it and move on. You seem to forget it's all pixels and has no bearing on how you play the game. GET over it.

Archived