Just Loaded Into Path of Fire Story & The Crystal Desert! ==> My Thoughts!

Dainank.1308

I would just like to say that the Path Of Fire expansion is already looking a lot better. The intro mission is actually engaging and makes you want to know more about what is going on! Furthermore, the mobs, setting and environment just feel a lot nicer as well as the lore thus far. Everything seems far more exciting! I don't know, I just felt like pointing this out as I do think Arena Net really did a good job for the opening of the expansion, and I can not wait to delve into more!

@Randulf.7614 said:It (mostly) maintains this throughout imo

By mostly you mean not at all. The story boils down to constantly asking why you are running around for no reason with no plan even though you have an actual goal you need to accomplish despite never working towards that goal.

This is the 2nd half of vanilla's and HoT's story problems all over again.

You spend the entire story spinning your wheels doing nothing and then the writer pulls a last minute deus ex machina ass pull to resolve the story because they realize that they spent absolutely no time trying to resolve the plot. And yes, Logan literally pulls an airship out of his ass to kill Zhaitain. Why did you go into the cave in the first place instead of launching all the airships to kill Zhaitain? Why did you spend no time attacking Zhaitain? Where was Zhaitain this whole time while you were faffing around in Orr for no reason with no actual purpose or goal in mind? Why did you only join one of the factions when you knew at level 30 that you would need all 3 factions? Why do you spend your time with that faction doing nothing related to hunting down a way to kill Zhaitain? Why does the story try to tell you that you are ineligible to become the Pact Commander because you chose to join a faction when the only reason why you joined a faction was because the story forced you to join a faction for no reason simply to progress the story where you did absolutely nothing related to the reason why you joined that faction and thus invalidated the point of joining a faction? The writer's only reason for making your character take an action which made no sense for that character to take and which you knew was going to hurt you later was because they wanted an excuse they could use later as to why you couldn't be the Commander of the Army which was the very reason why you didn't want to join a Faction.

It was Mass Effect 2 all over again where the story forces you to work with Cerberus despite the player having a hundred legitimate objections and then blaming the player for working with Cerberus when the game never gave you the option to not work with Cerberus. I mean sure, you could have stopped playing the game, that would have been the only way to not work with Cerberus, but that defeats the entire point of buying the game. Instead no one is willing to work with you or believe you because you work for Cerberus and the only reason why you work for Cerberus is because the game won't let you do anything else even though there is no reason for you to continue working for Cerberus considering that you were just reinstated as a Spectre and have this fancy ship you could "commandeer" from Cerberus.

This at least would have been justifiable if you gained knowledge that you could not have gained some other way or discovered a weapon to help fight the Reapers that you couldn't have gained any other way. But that isn't what happened. Instead you are forced to work with Cerberus because the writer wanted to tell a side story instead of writing the story they needed to write where you ran around the Galaxy finding a way to both beat the Reapers, convince the Galaxy that the Reapers are a real and immediate threat, and then unite the Galaxy to prepare to meet the Reapers. But you don't do any of that even though that is the most important thing you should be doing.

The story has ups and downs.

• Good action sequence.
  • Go do stuff to explore the map.
  • Good action sequence.
  • Go collect some crystals to explore the map.
  • Grind mount mastery.
  • Good action sequence.
  • Another good action sequence.
  • Have a general direction of where you're supposed to go.
  • No one knows where you're supposed to go.
  • That guy said go there, but then someone else said go somewhere else.
  • Eventually find where you're supposed to go.
  • Interesting game mechanics are introduced in three pretty boring quests.
  • Canach and Rytlock make out.
  • The final two quests are top-notch and epic. Great action sequences.
  • Dialog.
  • Dialog.
  • Dialog.
  • Cutscene.
  • The End.

Archived