I think "thumps up/down" will do more harm than good

zealex.9410

Specifically thumps down. It can prevent ppl from giving honest meaningful feedback out of fear that they will get downvoted to hell regardless of its true or not.

If a subject is controvesial and just doesnt sit well with a certain demographic that thread will get downvoted into oblivion.

Now, i have faith that anet will act (as they have done) against ppl that are being flat out hateful and agressive towards them or others so i believe this system wont really help or add anything meaningful.

Im saying downvotes in specific because upvotes dont really work like that. Sure if a post has alot of support will show that alot ppl thing its true but if a response of someone with a diff pov is also true that will show based on upvotes.

So yeah this is what i thin about the whole downvote system, i personally like the upvotes abd really really like the "helpful" votes.

I will end with something quite a few ppl jave pointed out and that is blizzard as well had this system and they ended up remove it. That imo shows something.

given the other topic got locked due to some people getting stupid . on this topic i see not one problem with it at all. and think it should be left as is . and if people are so scared from giving honest good feed back for the reason they might be down voted is stupid . then they are worrying over noting but foolishness plain and simple . and not only that but read from that same locked topic this has some changes coming to it . and if that is true the best fix if they do feel the need for it . is to remove both up and down voting fully. noting half way or leave up voting on at all . the reason i will down vote a post is if i do not like what the post says or its a pile of salt post. but if i read a good post i will upvote it till the system is changed . so leave it as it is and live with it or take it all away for ever just that simple

I am not sure how people disagreeing with a post in a simple manner would send it to oblivion or to kitten.

At the end of the day there will be commentary for and against the post as well as people expressing agreement and disagreement regarding the OP as well as subsequent posts via a thumb option. There isnt really a significant, if any, difference between hitting a thumbs up button or typing, "I agree with this."

@zealex.9410 said:Idk i already regret posting this. Looking at the downvotes makes me depreseed lol.

Could have been avoided with our nifty new Search function!I kid, I kid.Sorry you got hit with the downvotes. We've had two threads locked on the topic already, because ironically, people got cranky and toxic trying to defend their position on not having downvotes. :P Gaile has directed us to the New Forum Feedback thread if we wish to discuss this further.

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:given the other topic got locked due to some people getting stupid . on this topic i see not one problem with it at all. and think it should be left as is . and if people are so scared from giving honest good feed back for the reason they might be down voted is stupid . then they are worrying over noting but foolishness plain and simple . and not only that but read from that same locked topic this has some changes coming to it . and if that is true the best fix if they do feel the need for it . is to remove both up and down voting fully. noting half way or leave up voting on at all . the reason i will down vote a post is if i do not like what the post says or its a pile of salt post. but if i read a good post i will upvote it till the system is changed . so leave it as it is and live with it or take it all away for ever just that simple

Yeah but the thing is alot of ppl care about their image be it online or offline. U wont to keep that positive or negative if thats your thing and that may infuemce what u wonna say.

"i will downvote a post of i do not like what the post says" this imo is part of the problem. Its not about i like something or not its more about how true and helpful something is imo to a discussion. Note that i dont try to offend u just sharing my view on it. I will also downvote someone whos just trolling being toxic or salty as he genually add nothing.

Your concerns are very much valid. Gaile has made it clear on her own Forums Feedback post: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/269/feedback-new-forums#latest, that we should give this a try for a few weeks and if it doesn't work out she'll do something.

I also recommend making your concerns noted in that same forum if you haven't already.

@zealex.9410 said:Idk i already regret posting this. Looking at the downvotes makes me depreseed lol.

Well, now it's probably because multiple threads about this have been closed as redundant. I'd imagine all similar posts will suffer the same fate, and rightly so since there is already a thread for this discussion. Here's Gaile's quote from one of the recently closed threads:

"If I'm not mistaken, this is actually the fourth thread on this subject. And as anyone can see, opinions vary wildly on the whole idea of reactions, what types we should offer, and the whole nine yards.

This is something we know it a topic of interest and concern for the community, and it's very likely that we will be making changes in the near future. In the meantime, I'm going to close and then merge threads. While we have an official feedback thread here (now) on the GW2 Discussion Subforum, and you're welcome to post your input there, again, we have been tracking these many conversations closely, and posting again on this particular subject isn't necessary."

@Ashen.2907 said:I am not sure how people disagreeing with a post in a simple manner would send it to oblivion or to kitten.

At the end of the day there will be commentary for and against the post as well as people expressing agreement and disagreement regarding the OP as well as subsequent posts via a thumb option. There isnt really a significant, if any, difference between hitting a thumbs up button or typing, "I agree with this."

Ture bit the vote stays alot more than someone response on a thread. Possitive or negative.

@Baltham.8796 said:

Well, now it's probably because multiple threads about this have been closed as redundant. I'd imagine all similar posts will suffer the same fate, and rightly so since there is already a thread for this discussion. Here's Gaile's quote from one of the recently closed threads:

"If I'm not mistaken, this is actually the fourth thread on this subject. And as anyone can see, opinions vary wildly on the whole idea of reactions, what types we should offer, and the whole nine yards.

This is something we know it a topic of interest and concern for the community, and it's very likely that we will be making changes in the near future. In the meantime, I'm going to close and then merge threads. While we have an official feedback thread here (now) on the GW2 Discussion Subforum, and you're welcome to post your input there, again, we have been tracking these many conversations closely, and posting again on this particular subject isn't necessary."

Ah ok i didnt know about it thanks for letting me know :)

@Alimar.8760 said:Your concerns are very much valid. Gaile has made it clear on her own Forums Feedback post: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/269/feedback-new-forums#latest, that we should give this a try for a few weeks and if it doesn't work out she'll do something.

I also recommend making your concerns noted in that same forum if you haven't already.

It will prob be merged so my concers will be there so theres that id assume.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:I am not sure how people disagreeing with a post in a simple manner would send it to oblivion or to kitten.

Ture bit the vote stays alot more than someone response on a thread. Possitive or negative.

I dont agree.

Fifty expressing vehement disagreement with an agreement with an OP says more, IMO, than fifty people just hitting thumbs up.

I gave you one of them. I don't agree with you.

from what I am given to understand simply expressing that I think you're wrong. has made you feel terrible, 'depressed' you say. gosh. that must be so awful for you. knowing that people don't agree w you.

sorry to say though, I'm not going to take it back. I still think you're wrong.

but that leaves us at a debacle. can people disagree with you without making you feel 'depressed'? is that even possible?

so like dude, I feel like your issue is a personal one. something meant for sessions with the therapist.because dude, removing the downvotes will not stop people disagreeing with you. it's still gonna happen on the forum, and it's gonna happen irl too. so if people disagreeing with you makes you feel that bad, I urge you to seek therapy. you need professional help.

@zealex.9410 said:

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:given the other topic got locked due to some people getting stupid . on this topic i see not one problem with it at all. and think it should be left as is . and if people are so scared from giving honest good feed back for the reason they might be down voted is stupid . then they are worrying over noting but foolishness plain and simple . and not only that but read from that same locked topic this has some changes coming to it . and if that is true the best fix if they do feel the need for it . is to remove both up and down voting fully. noting half way or leave up voting on at all . the reason i will down vote a post is if i do not like what the post says or its a pile of salt post. but if i read a good post i will upvote it till the system is changed . so leave it as it is and live with it or take it all away for ever just that simple

Yeah but the thing is alot of ppl care about their image be it online or offline. U wont to keep that positive or negative if thats your thing and that may infuemce what u wonna say.

"i will downvote a post of i do not like what the post says" this imo is part of the problem. Its not about i like something or not its more about how true and helpful something is imo to a discussion. Note that i dont try to offend u just sharing my view on it. I will also downvote someone whos just trolling being toxic or salty as he genually add nothing.

sounds like a lot of people got some serous big time mental problems going on . if they are so worried about a online video game forum image which that is very foolish and stupid as it means noting at all in real life. nor has it to do with any thing at all in real life . . but i do get what your saying here but yet people see things differently and will not always agree on every thing at all . just how it is

Use the downvotes constructively. You feel bad because you were downvoted. You were downvoted because people disagree with you or the post. In the future you should: 1) Search for duplicate threads before making your own and 2) formulate a better argument for removing the feature other than an emotional appeal. By avoiding duplicate posts and making better arguments, you'll likely receive fewer down votes. Fewer down votes will make you less sad.

Arguments that are made through emotional appeal don't work with every audience; Logic, reason and facts typically do.

@choovanski.5462 said:but that leaves us at a debacle. can people disagree with you without making you feel 'depressed'? is that even possible?

so like dude, I feel like your issue is a personal one. something meant for sessions with the therapist.because dude, removing the downvotes will not stop people disagreeing with you. it's still gonna happen on the forum, and it's gonna happen irl too. so if people disagreeing with you makes you feel that bad, I urge you to seek therapy. you need professional help.

Giving OP a thumbs down for duplicate post. Giving Choo a thumbs up because he's a genius.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

I dont agree.

Fifty expressing vehement disagreement with an agreement with an OP says more, IMO, than fifty people just hitting thumbs up.

Whenyou click a person to see their profile for example and see a high numbers of downvotes that can infuence how u behaive around that person without havingtaken the time to see some one the points he makes be it good or bad. This behaiviour we also see in game with ppl getting blacklisted even from ppl who dont know them and only kjow them by name.

@Chickenooble.5014 said:

@choovanski.5462 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Idk i already regret posting this. Looking at the downvotes makes me depreseed lol.but that leaves us at a debacle. can people disagree with you without making you feel 'depressed'? is that even possible?

so like dude, I feel like your issue is a personal one. something meant for sessions with the therapist.because dude, removing the downvotes will not stop people disagreeing with you. it's still gonna happen on the forum, and it's gonna happen irl too. so if people disagreeing with you makes you feel that bad, I urge you to seek therapy. you need professional help.Use the downvotes constructively. You feel bad because you were downvoted. You were downvoted because people disagree with you or the post. In the future you should: 1) Search for duplicate threads before making your own and 2) formulate a better argument for removing the feature other than an emotional appeal. By avoiding duplicate posts and making better arguments, you'll likely receive fewer down votes. Fewer down votes will make you less sad.

Arguments that are made through emotional appeal don't work with every audience; Logic, reason and facts typically do.

Giving OP a thumbs down for duplicate post. Giving Choo a thumbs up because he's a genius.

This has nothing really to do with dissagreements nor with emotionally driven arguements but eh. I can agree on the duplicate tho and my bad for not searching before i post i suppose.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

I dont agree.

Whenyou click a person to see their profile for example and see a high numbers of downvotes that can infuence how u behaive around that person without havingtaken the time to see some one the points he makes be it good or bad. This behaiviour we also see in game with ppl getting blacklisted even from ppl who dont know them and only kjow them by name.

Why are you looking at their profile instead of reading what they have to say?

Why are you judging someone based on what others think of their ideas instead of based on what you think?

Why do you care about the opinions of those who judge based on looking at votes in a profile rather than based on reading the posts themselves?

People will disagree with you. Sometimes you will be wrong and people will point it out. Accept it. Dont stress over the fact that some people said, "I disagree," using a single key press instead of several.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

I dont agree.

Whenyou click a person to see their profile for example and see a high numbers of downvotes that can influence how u behaive around that person without havingtaken the time to see some one the points he makes be it good or bad. This behaiviour we also see in game with ppl getting blacklisted even from ppl who dont know them and only kjow them by name.

i just happen to read your post and then took a look at a profile . and honestly truth be told here i did not see a thing at all that would even influence me at all. and will say the profile i looked at was ok i guess but it meant noting to me at all . other than it was just another forum member and they got some kinda good or bad marks on their profile which still meant noting to me at all . . also too people who do what your suggesting with this blacklisted stuff and so forth really got some big time mental problems going on as well as reading way far too much than what is not even their at all to begin with even . which is even more stupid and sad as well as a sign they should seek out some mental help

@Myrdreth.6829 said:I wish we could see who gives us a thumps down. Some thumps down just feel like trolling. People are always so brave behind the security of the anonymousness.

sounds like reading more into it than their is and foolishly worried over noting at all even . with fake fears of worrying about something that means noting at all . but hey do not have to worry i think anet will be changing that in a few weeks or so . than no one will maybe have to be so worried or scared over noting at all

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:I wish we could see who gives us a thumps down. Some thumps down just feel like trolling. People are always so brave behind the security of the anonymousness.

sounds like reading more into it than their is and foolishly worried over noting at all even . with fake fears of worrying about something that means noting at all . but hey do not have to worry i think anet will be changing that in a few weeks or so . than no one will maybe have to be so worried or scared over noting at all

I am not scared. I just think if people are given the chance to upvote or downvote something it should show their names. On another website I am on they do that and I like it this way. People actually THINK before they just click something.

On that note I am also wishing for a list of names of the people who gave me a thumps up. I like to look them up and read their comments. Sometimes a thread is just too long for me to read everything, but I always make sure to read the comments of people that reacted to my own comment in any way.

Archived