Condi Mesmer Help - Tell Me What I'm Doing Wrong?

VeritasWaits.3501

So I've thought of Mesmer as my main character since I bought the game 4+ years ago. I dip in and out of GW2, but Path of Fire brought me back again and I'm trying to get up to speed. I've only ever played PvE, but have recently started dipping into WvW to try it out and to grind hero points to finish unlocking Chrono.

So far I've actually really enjoyed the whole realm combat thing, but I feel like I get absolutely destroyed anytime I get pulled into a solid duel with another player. Things seem fine, then suddenly I'm stunned or stuck and then dead. Obviously I have a lot to learn about PvP play. I've watched a handful of build guide vids for both power and condi mesmer, and the play clips always show people blinking around, evading, and generally seeming to do fine staying alive.

Is this just a "git gud" thing? Or am I completely missing some essential playstyle elements that are needed for PvP? I'm currently running Staff, Scepter/Torch with Dire exotic gear. I'm using Blink, Decoy, Signet of Domination, Signet of Humility and (I think) a perfectly solid trait setup, so I think the issue is more playstyle and skill than gear or build.

Any Mesmer masters out there want to share your thought process or tips for improving at PvP combat? Thanks!

What traits are you running? If you are running Mirage you shouldn't be getting stun-locked to death because your mirage dodge (with traits) removes both CC and conditions, allowing for easy escapes. Also for PvP if you are running mirage you are much better using Sword/Torch over Scepter/Torch because the Sword adds so much more mobility and kiting than the Scepter.

Recreate your build here:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/

Then we can help you more. And if you want a good condi mesmer build in WvW, you really should spec Mirage if you already aren't.

Here's roughly what i use in WvW, it's not perfect, but i manage to stay alive in duels most of the time.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQRAnf7fnELDFMjFoBmpBMMjlXDDNAkTOC+7vBYC0MFsMqJA-jVRTwA+0PwV9njKBvo8Dw+DAA-w

Thanks, here's the link: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAW7flknhy0YjawBNwsGLAHEaM6RJMTQECw5I+QpB-jlSHABsouDmKBB4iA0huAGVJwNNC7o8ws9HoRJWAPBAA-w

Not sure if it's 100% accurate, but it gives the gist. Unfortunately, I don't have either of the elite specs fully unlocked. I would absolutely run Mirage if I did. What'd I'd really like is advice on the vanilla build or on general playstyle that would be reasonably workable to WvW with so I can work on unlocking them. I don't expect to be able to 1v2 or anything, just hold my own.

You have a lot ofvitality and toughness , you should be fine. Play more defensively, focus on watching your opponent then dodge and respond with your skills. Most of the time you can tell when they are casting or about to attack. Getting good may not necessarily be about what you do, and most of the time is not about being on the offensive. It's observation of the opponent. When you get good at that not only do you survive but you can time your bursts when you notice a gap and window of opportunity. You have decoy stealth and blink stun breaks. I suggest trying signet of midnight for extra stunbreak and detargetting stealth as well as the Condi duration which can help stack condi more. You have torch invisibility and scepter 2 block which is super helpful. Staff 2 has a phase retreat which is super useful in getting away and kiting. Chaos armor, chaos storm, plus your traitlines, you are built to survive. Also know what classes you are facing, how they work etc. And know for sure if they are likely to have enough Condi cleanses which makes your condi build less effective. If you see them dealing with your Condi like nothing maybe it's not a fight you can win easily or at all. Also your build builds up boons via PU, staff skills etc. The opponent may be able to strip boons or corrupt boons into condi. Its important to know who yoh arenup against Keep in mind that a mesmer fight style is hit and run kiting, less so than thieves but still. Be sure to put distance between you and the opponent. Be sure to run a bit and get some cooldowns back and reposition before engaging again. once you get the rhythm and observation down, I found that building more offensively with more damage tends to turn fights more in my favour. The pressure causes enemies to retreat and push you less, and also can end fights of course. The intent of the build for survivability may really only serve as a time to learn and practice, not for long term decisive fights. With mirage spec you can invest more into damage and still survive better

I'd slightly change your Illusions traits to 3-3-3. Shorter CDs and more burns on torch are more valuable than non-permanent condi damage bonus, and Maim the Disillusioned is essential to condi shatter builds.I'd also suggest taking some more condition cleanses. I recommend Mantra of Resolve / iDisenchanter (in place of Signet of Domination), or Sigils of Cleansing, or both.You can also try Mantra of Recovery (remember to trait Restorative Mantras then) for 2 more cleanses and decent, short cd heals. You'll have easier time charging it due to Malicious Sorcery's casting speed boost and PU which helps you cover your cast with stealth when neccessary.Basically, run around, watch how other professions play and try to fight them, and swap traits/sigils/runes or even gear (because full condi might not be for you, personally I prefer more hybrid, power oriented builds, so that may be the case for you, too) until you find the right setup you're comfortable with.

Even with a perfect build, learning GW2's combat will take it's own time. There are dozens of little mechanics and tricks that will be etched into your memory as time passes, but for now try to always learn something new when you get defeated. This way you will start to understand what profession does what, what skills do what, what skills to look out for and dodge, etc. Once you've learned that, you have the knowledge to set up tactics and counter-attacks, and soon you will be the one downing newbies.

There are guides for roaming and fighting, sure, but this isn't something you will learn in a day. GW2 combat has a steep learning curve, and to get better, you're going to spend alot of time in the downed state.

Have fun!

a few tips if you use staff you like a free blink for pvp and one of your bigist friends for condi mes is confusion becouse you can easly stack that you can kill a thief with like 6 stacks of confusion becouse they use so meany skills its funny to see them try to ham you and then all you see is them taking over 20k confusion damage becouse of skill spam. as for pve you focus on torment and kiteing your targets so they take damage from chasing you witch can be used in pvp/wvw too. this should help you out a little more and help you understand it more.

@Belishine.7493 said:a few tips if you use staff you like a free blink for pvp and one of your bigist friends for condi mes is confusion becouse you can easly stack that you can kill a thief with like 6 stacks of confusion becouse they use so meany skills its funny to see them try to ham you and then all you see is them taking over 20k confusion damage becouse of skill spam. as for pve you focus on torment and kiteing your targets so they take damage from chasing you witch can be used in pvp/wvw too. this should help you out a little more and help you understand it more.

Guess you forgot to mention the amount of condition cleanses they have...

For the OP, try not to spam your shatters or try to get a duel over with in one blow since it’s predictable and majority of the time players and if you run into a thief, will almost always condition cleanse burst conditions the moment they have them - then there goes all those stacks.

But just like others, just keep practising and study each class and their elite specs. It’ll always come down to what player(s) you fight but hey, you win some and lose some and there’s nothing wrong with saying that you tried.

Archived