Scourge is Actually Pretty Balanced in SPvP

Jackalrat.5493

...Just kidding. It is in fact a hot sac of wet garbage suffocating this game mode to death and this post is gonna make the dead sea seem about as salty as a cup of cold cream.

If the original class balance team for Vanilla WoW could time travel from WoW's conception to now, they'd be like, "Iunno about this Scourge thing. I think it might create some instances of unfair PvP."

WoW of course being a game that GW2 far outclasses, in terms of gameplay. It's like GW2 is a slice of delicious cheesecake and WoW is lukewarm gas station sushi, but if you choose the cheesecake of PvP right now the chef comes out and kicks you in the groin every time you take a bite and then throws his arms up in confusion, "I don't know what's making this cheesecake experience sub par! It's impossible to tell! Maybe I used too much vanilla extract in the crust? Maybe it's me repeatedly kicking your nads? Let me do 3 months of research and maybe after I've rendered everyone infertile with smashed genitalia we'll have gotten to the bottom of this." kick kick kick

But don't worry, melee players, there's a way for you to fight Scourges. You just have to come up with a build that has indefinite cleanse for a full row of condis and no reliance on corruptible boons without making yourself worthless against all the other builds.

I mean, some of you lesser pleb condi classes focus on one or two primary conditions for your damage and I'm here to say you're doing it wrong. That can be conceivably cleansed! No you gotta:Burn 'em like a kerosene doused hay field in a California droughtPoison 'em like they supersede you in line for the crownTorment 'em so it's like having a hangover after a stretchless 8 hour leg dayAnd inflict weakness until they literally turn into Michael Cera's chin

No, no, no. I'm being unfair and dramatic. A lot of us have complained that Scourges cover large areas in clouds of agonizing sudden death; Areas such as the capture points SPvP centers on. But have you considered just not going to the capture point? How has nobody thought of this obvious solution????

Actually, it's quite possible that Scourges have produced the ultimate balance in SPvP because it's pointless to play anything else. If we just run 5 scourges vs 5 scourges then Arena Net has at last achieved ultimate balance!

...Hoookay, I'm done. And while I do sincerely hope Scourge gets nerfed, I'm just posting this for fun because SPvP isn't that right now and I know nobody gives a crap. Hopefully nobody takes this too seriously. :P

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ravezaar.4951 said:This guy has cried so much on the Forum past 2 months Iam suprised he has any gametime at all

Accurate. Extremely accurate. Guess I'm just really desperate to see something change, but I'm sure I'll give up shortly like most of us have.

@Stebene.9275 said:That cheesecake comparison with the chef kicking you in the nuts made my day. That's pretty much how it is, except the chef talks to the customer more than arenanet.

Glad someone had a laugh. (:

@Jackalrat.5493 said:...Just kidding. It is in fact a hot sac of wet garbage suffocating this game mode to death and this post is gonna make the dead sea seem about as salty as a cup of cold cream.

If the original class balance team for Vanilla WoW could time travel from WoW's conception to now, they'd be like, "Iunno about this Scourge thing. I think it might create some instances of unfair PvP."

WoW of course being a game that GW2 far outclasses, in terms of gameplay. It's like GW2 is a slice of delicious cheesecake and WoW is lukewarm gas station sushi, but if you choose the cheesecake of PvP right now the chef comes out and kicks you in the groin every time you take a bite and then throws his arms up in confusion, "I don't know what's making this cheesecake experience sub par! It's impossible to tell! Maybe I used too much vanilla extract in the crust? Maybe it's me repeatedly kicking your nads? Let me do 3 months of research and maybe after I've rendered everyone infertile with smashed genitalia we'll have gotten to the bottom of this." kick kick kick

But don't worry, melee players, there's a way for you to fight Scourges. You just have to come up with a build that has indefinite cleanse for a full row of condis and no reliance on corruptible boons without making yourself worthless against all the other builds.

I mean, some of you lesser pleb condi classes focus on one or two primary conditions for your damage and I'm here to say you're doing it wrong. That can be conceivably cleansed! No you gotta:Burn 'em like a kerosene doused hay field in a California droughtPoison 'em like they supersede you in line for the crownTorment 'em so it's like having a hangover after a stretchless 8 hour leg dayAnd inflict weakness until they literally turn into Michael Cera's chin

No, no, no. I'm being unfair and dramatic. A lot of us have complained that Scourges cover large areas in clouds of agonizing sudden death; Areas such as the capture points SPvP centers on. But have you considered just not going to the capture point? How has nobody thought of this obvious solution????

Actually, it's quite possible that Scourges have produced the ultimate balance in SPvP because it's pointless to play anything else. If we just run 5 scourges vs 5 scourges then Arena Net has at last achieved ultimate balance!

...Hoookay, I'm done. And while I do sincerely hope Scourge gets nerfed, I'm just posting this for fun because SPvP isn't that right now and I know nobody gives a crap. Hopefully nobody takes this too seriously. :P

Your rank is very relevant here. I play Scourge in ~1600 and it's pretty much balanced out (in some matches I would dare say it's required to have one) because the top players actually counter the condi meta by going druid, core guardian and holosmith. Try killing a good druid with anything that's not a mesmer or scourge and you'll see that the balance problems in this game are far worse than you are claiming yourself. Do not for a moment think this is exclusive to one class.

It was the same last year with Dragonhunter trap builds, you always have the low risk high reward folks swarming through silver and gold and people only able to beat these at the top levels of play (where the high skill high reward builds are more plentiful). This is a serious problem with design and you're not telling us anything new, but it would take Anet, to start with, a full split between PvP and other modes just to scratch the surface of the problem. Some classes like Necro would probably have to play completely different from one mode to the other to actually be viable in both, and so on and so on. Don't see it ever happening unfortunately, most they seem to do is rotate between which professions are the flavor of the month.

@maxwelgm.4315 said:

Your rank is very relevant here. I play Scourge in ~1600 and it's pretty much balanced out (in some matches I would dare say it's required to have one) because the top players actually counter the condi meta by going druid, core guardian and holosmith. Try killing a good druid with anything that's not a mesmer or scourge and you'll see that the balance problems in this game are far worse than you are claiming yourself. Do not for a moment think this is exclusive to one class.

It was the same last year with Dragonhunter trap builds, you always have the low risk high reward folks swarming through silver and gold and people only able to beat these at the top levels of play (where the high skill high reward builds are more plentiful). This is a serious problem with design and you're not telling us anything new, but it would take Anet, to start with, a full split between PvP and other modes just to scratch the surface of the problem. Some classes like Necro would probably have to play completely different from one mode to the other to actually be viable in both, and so on and so on. Don't see it ever happening unfortunately, most they seem to do is rotate between which professions are the flavor of the month.

At the time I did my last ranked game I was only in gold (and at my best since Scourge's release I never got out of Gold III) but I saw people in the top 250 were still as low as sub 1550 at the time. I agree with most of what you're saying, and I have definitely experienced the bunker druids but it's less frustrating to face an impossibly resilient enemy, IMO, than it is to face one that just decimates you with little to no counter play available (other than switching classes/builds 100% to prioritize only that thing).

The other issue here is where skill is a factor. I'm a middle-of-the-road Gold player, but I can see at this skill range I have lots of interesting fights with druids, holosmiths, guardians, warriors, necros, etc. The Scourges stuck at my rating do not provide interesting fights, they annihilate everything and lose only when the opposing Scourge is better (or they are stuck with worse support/outnumbered).

I main a power reaper btw, so it's worth mentioning I have basically the worst matchup vs Scourge. But before they showed up, I was climbing happily with a 60%ish win ratio into Gold 3.

@Jackalrat.5493 said:

@maxwelgm.4315 said:

It was the same last year with Dragonhunter trap builds, you always have the low risk high reward folks swarming through silver and gold and people only able to beat these at the top levels of play (where the high skill high reward builds are more plentiful). This is a serious problem with design and you're not telling us anything new, but it would take Anet,
to start with
, a full split between PvP and other modes just to scratch the surface of the problem. Some classes like Necro would probably have to play completely different from one mode to the other to actually be viable in both, and so on and so on. Don't see it ever happening unfortunately, most they seem to do is rotate between which professions are the flavor of the month.

At the time I did my last ranked game I was only in gold (and at my best since Scourge's release I never got out of Gold III) but I saw people in the top 250 were still as low as sub 1550 at the time. I agree with most of what you're saying, and I have definitely experienced the bunker druids but it's less frustrating to face an impossibly resilient enemy, IMO, than it is to face one that just decimates you with little to no counter play available (other than switching classes/builds 100% to prioritize only that thing).

The other issue here is where skill is a factor. I'm a middle-of-the-road Gold player, but I can see at this skill range I have lots of interesting fights with druids, holosmiths, guardians, warriors, necros, etc. The Scourges stuck at my rating do not provide interesting fights, they annihilate everything and lose only when the opposing Scourge is better.

Putting it this way, I gotta agree that it is frustrating (even Scourge vs Scourge is basically two atomic bombs trying to fire on the other first), whereas fighting anything else is more fun. They could start by changing Sand Savant into a barrier trait, because having the AoE the size of a point is at least 20% of the problem; then we would have to deal with the excessive boon hate from punishments, and the elephant in the room that is ghastly breach (why did they believe it was a good idea to create a powerful PvP spec to a class that only needed a jump in PvE?).

@Ravezaar.4951 said:This guy has cried so much on the Forum past 2 months Iam suprised he has any gametime at all

Some people actually can play one or two games and watch Netflix or post on forums at the same time. It's called being able to multitask with multiple monitors. It a really really good trait and skill.

Actually I'd say having multiple monitors is a requirement in order to play PvP in GW2. More so with all of the match manipulators, afkers, and trolls. It makes farming PiPs in GW2's Ranked PvP actually viable, in a times of constant horrendous match quality.

@Reaper Alim.4176 said:

Some people actually can play one or two games and watch Netflix or post on forums at the same time. It's called being able to multitask with multiple monitors. It a really really good trait and skill.

Actually I'd say having multiple monitors is a requirement in order to play PvP in GW2. More so with all of the match manipulators, afkers, and trolls. It makes farming PiPs in GW2's Ranked PvP actually viable, in a times of constant horrendous match quality.

I'll confess, this crybaby actually has 3 monitors! Granted, one is a cintiq, but still.

Rangers (any spec, as long as it's got longbow), Dragonhunters, and of course, Thieves (Pistols or Deadeye), the bane of the necromancer's existence since the beginning. Seeing as they decided necromancers weren't allowed to have any projectile mitigation save for a crappy corruption skill (Corrosive Poison Cloud) that no one would use otherwise, and requiring a trait that helps kill them (Master of Corruptions) to be effective.

@Jackalrat.5493 said:...Just kidding. It is in fact a hot sac of wet garbage suffocating this game mode to death and this post is gonna make the dead sea seem about as salty as a cup of cold cream.

10/10 rant that covers all the absurdities of scourge atm. Even when they get arround to fixing the path of corruption bug I predict this class will continue to be a problem.

@Nilkemia.8507 said:Rangers (any spec, as long as it's got longbow), Dragonhunters, and of course, Thieves (Pistols or Deadeye), the bane of the necromancer's existence since the beginning. Seeing as they decided necromancers weren't allowed to have any projectile mitigation save for a crappy corruption skill (Corrosive Poison Cloud) that no one would use otherwise, and requiring a trait that helps kill them (Master of Corruptions) to be effective.

At levels platinum and above, if you're taking LB into sPvP as a ranger, you're doing your team a disservice. Other classes will pick you out and faceroll you with ease. They cover the weakness that the scourge exhibits (lack of defense against range). That's just what I've noticed. Maybe I wrong. I wish I was because I love LB zerker builds.

@Nicknobreak.7543 said:

@Nilkemia.8507 said:Rangers (any spec, as long as it's got longbow), Dragonhunters, and of course, Thieves (Pistols or Deadeye), the bane of the necromancer's existence since the beginning. Seeing as they decided necromancers weren't allowed to have any projectile mitigation save for a crappy corruption skill (Corrosive Poison Cloud) that no one would use otherwise, and requiring a trait that helps kill them (Master of Corruptions) to be effective.

At levels platinum and above, if you're taking LB into sPvP as a ranger, you're doing your team a disservice. Other classes will pick you out and faceroll you with ease. They cover the weakness that the scourge exhibits (lack of defense against range). That's just what I've noticed. Maybe I wrong. I wish I was because I love LB zerker builds.

The horrid matchmaking ensures that only those who know how to exploit that system will reach platinum and stay in it for long anyways. Oh, and I forget one other profession : Mesmer. Constant clone shattering into confusion, torment, and vulnerability and dazing you constantly through it all, along with invulnerability after invulnerability making it impossible to fight back.

Archived