Do people STOMP anymore?

nekretaal.6485

Well do they? I'm not even complaining that my teammates no longer seem to stomp, it seems like it is now meta to ignore the stomp key altogether and just kill the downed players.

Why?

1. Power creep (increased damage for everybody) means that it's quicker to just kill downs
  2. AoE damage over time fields (mostly from scourge, but everybody has them) and conditions continue to pulse on the downed players even after they get downed, leaving them over-killed and almost dead again
  3. Cleaving damage will hit anybody who tries to resurrect
  4. Pressuring the downs with damage is also safer because you can better use defenses without losing progress.

Pvp chat is now full of players calling other players noobs for trying to stomp. They aren't really wrong. Why stomp if you can kill faster, safter, and cleave down ressurectors?

The only exception is necromancers. Necromancers have a billion health points and a completely non threatening downed state. That's the only class that it's safe to stomp anymore.

RIP stomping.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are still times when it is best to stomp but it really is the more all or nothing option. If you go for cleave, at least you punish anyone that attempts to res with significant aoe so that they likely die soon after even if they get the successful res. On the other hand if the stomp fails either because a res happens or the stomp is interrupted, the stomper not only failed to accomplish anything during the stomp animation, but also probably took a ton of damage. Additionally, stability stomps are exceptionally unreliable right now due to all the boon hate flying around right now, so probably the only classes that should ever be trying to stomp are things that can invuln stomp which would be mesmer, engis, and eles with focus. Bunk guard can also go for stomps if they know that there isn't anything near by that can remove the stability, otherwise cleaving is generally the way to go.

generally, no. i usually do not attempt to stomp in team fights - to many ways to prevent stomping in team encounters. sometimes, if I am 1v1 and attempting to hold point, i will not stomp either, and prolong the downed opponent in a downed state to keep him out of action (re-spawning) as long as I can. in situations where i could rez a teammate faster, i might attempt a stomp, but generally no stomping; it is risky many times.

When I’m on Firebrand Bunker, I will stomp at times, depending on who’s around since there’s so much stab on that build. However, if there’s a good boon hate class nearby, I usually don’t risk it.

When I play Daredevil, I get a good number of stomps from running Impact Strike. Since the meta is so never heavy, I find this often is better than basilisk.

@Ledavi.1803 said:funny no one mentioned stomping when you have teammates in downed state. That is what puts me in a minor rage - teammate busy button 1 spam cleaving downed opponent while I'm downed and then someone comes and stomps me. I would have been up 10 seconds ago. Rant over

I don't get any credit at all? Man, that's tough love :)

Archived