anet , can you fix axe ambush , and give mirage actual buff/ redesign — Guild Wars 2 Forums

anet , can you fix axe ambush , and give mirage actual buff/ redesign

musu.9205musu.9205 Member ✭✭✭

are we going to leave this be since we have our moment in pve due to a bug .which was same for burn zerker , scepter / warhorn tempest etc . and guess what happened to those builds .
mirage as a melee dps spec still has so many problems . lacking of aoe , cc and utilities , it still has unused utilities in all game mode . and if bug gets fixed , it's not even a strong dps spec except cairn and matt (i'm aware after last balance patch , phant build still does good dps on golem since others are nerfed .but for real , phant build suffers so much more in actual raids )
our core mechanic shatter is still bad in pve .
our top dps builds (phant or clone ) both use two signet . it's super fun to have two skills on your bar that you never use for passive stats buff ./s
and why we have two condition dmg signet to begin with ?
and on top of that , phant build doesn't use clone skill , clone build doesn't use phant skill ever.
it's so much fun to play a "complicated" "high skill ceiling " class and ignore half of its skills in a dps rotation ./s

Comments

• Vyriis.6258Vyriis.6258 Member ✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017

We're not exactly "forced" to use both signets for optimal dps. Yes, for max dps we need both; but situationally Domination or Midnight are enough alone. Midnight for long drawn out boss fights and Domination for clearing trash mobs. And if you don't think you'll have time between trash mobs and a boss you can easily stick with Midnight. The dps loss is so minimal it doesn't overly matter if you aren't trying to push for min/maxed dps.

On cc's we have Dom sig with a 3 sec stun, three clones for diversion for 3 (4) second stun, and if you run staff in offset we have Chaos Storms stun (also if running Decent into Madness for CS on heal). You can also run pistol offset for Magic Bullet, soft cc's with blinds on shatter, cripple on Lingering Thoughts. If you want to stay true melee you can run sword mh in offset for iLeap for the immob.

Shatters.... Makes me so sad that this is a class mechanic when it only really sees use in PvP. I was happy when Mirage dropped with lingering thoughts having two charges that would allow us to spam clones along with deceptive evasion and self deception for even more clone gen on deception use; just to come to the conclusion that no matter how much you want to shatter for dps in PvE - it's just a bad idea. Honestly think shatters should be removed and replaced with a hex based and hex spread mechanic, as that's what Mesmers were all about in GW1 anyways. Going for the physical illusion and shatter based style that we have in GW2 really killed the theme of Mesmers from GW1.

Another point I'd really like to bring up: the target breaking we are supposed to have with Mirage that never actually seems to work in PvE. Given our clones are supposed to naturally confuse enemies and take aggro from us, which never seems to actually happen; the target breaking might break the target, but the mobs still seem to always know which one we really are and retarget right away. Was working on the Kraitkin collection, going around killing the Champion Krait Witches and such: Not once did they break targeting from me to attack my clones. Managed to get them down by running around dodging my tokus off and hiding around objects when needed. I had to swap off Mes to get the UW one in Kessex, even. Why is it Ranger pets can take aggro with no issue, Necro minions will take aggro with no issue, but Mesmers, who are supposed to be able to confuse their enemies with identical clones, are unable to break targeting even when offered two skills for it. No matter how many times you use them you keep aggro (Even when going invis mobs will de-aggro and start moving away and regen health if a clone doesn't attack it; and when you come out of invis it will turn right back to you ignoring the clone that attacked it).

So to the bulk of your post, I agree. To the idea of fixing the bug: I hope they leave it be as a "working as intended" deal. To the idea of buffing/redesigning 'Mirage': Mirage as a spec works for the class it was thrown on. Buff would be nice, but honestly a redesign of current Mesmer is what we need. Take away this crippling design of Clones + Shatters which only works in a PvP scenario and give them back their hex spreading, shut downing, debuffing madness from GW1 days.... Sorry for the rant.

• Having mained Mesmer in gw1, I personally hated the whole hex spreading concept. To me it was very boring, so I'm very glad of the gw2 illusions, although I agree the shatter skills need either a rework or replacing with something else. Do you think it would be too OP for the shatter effects to not consume illusions? Or perhaps the shatter skills could only shatter clones and not phantasms? Hell, you could even do something like this:

Mind Wrack - Summon an illusion for up to 5 seconds at your target's location. After 5 seconds the illusion shatters dealing damage to all nearby enemies. You can detonate the illusion early by activating the skill a second time.

This would allow us to use our shatter skills without having to resummon our phantasms every time we use a shatter skill.

• FaboBabo.3581FaboBabo.3581 Member ✭✭✭✭

Really like shatters and i use em in pve too. Max content is t2 fractals , so i dont need 40k dps. The Spike dmg of shatter is often nice to finish the phase of the boss faster, or to contribute at least something to that phase, cause bosses are melted in 15 secs, so you dont need sustain damage, u want the burst. Shatter is a rare way to generate burst on a class which usually needs to ramp hard.

Sure some utilitys of mirage need a rework kind of + some traits are heavily underwhelming, but overall mirage is nice right now.

There is probably only one BIG designer mistake ; mirage Mirrors can stack at on place, for example with a 3 illusion f4 ( traited ) why should i create 3 mirrors, when they are on top of each other and all proc at the same time without stacking duration ?

Activating heal + sand throuhg glass results in the same problem ; 2 mirrors on top of each other. This is a BIG reason why mirror Design is a fail. Bandaid; make it stackable in Duration ; result ; 100% op with traited f4.

Solution ; mirror rework

I am sad to say this, but it's true... I really wanted them to be good...

Mirage since Day 1 - It got better!

• Having mained Mesmer in gw1, I personally hated the whole hex spreading concept. To me it was very boring, so I'm very glad of the gw2 illusions, although I agree the shatter skills need either a rework or replacing with something else. Do you think it would be too OP for the shatter effects to not consume illusions? Or perhaps the shatter skills could only shatter clones and not phantasms? Hell, you could even do something like this:

Mind Wrack - Summon an illusion for up to 5 seconds at your target's location. After 5 seconds the illusion shatters dealing damage to all nearby enemies. You can detonate the illusion early by activating the skill a second time.

This would allow us to use our shatter skills without having to resummon our phantasms every time we use a shatter skill.

I loved the hexes of GW1. Pile them up on the strongest enemy in the group then BAM! Kill the whole group with one quick spread. I do agree, though, that it's not always fun, which is why I'd switch it up to an Assassin's Promise: Echoing Chaos build and spam Chaos Storms all over the place nuking all. Or a build which focused on shutting enemies down by constantly interrupting them or throwing the better version of Backfire on them and make them deal more damage to themselves than they are throwing at the player. Can't quite do that with GW2s Chaos Storm or interrupts, sadly.

And don't get me wrong; I do like how Mes plays in GW2; it's just not fun when all of our damage comes from AI that is tethered to a single target and our main mechanic is meant only as a finishing blow or for support (Diversion and Distortion), you can't actually use them in a dps rotation. And it's also sad that we can't just drop shatter as a function without removing the physical form illusions take on, as in some cases they could get stuck attacking something we need them to not attack (looking at things like orbs on KC or in Shattered Observatory Challenge Mote) or just holding aggro/body blocking something we need to move.

Activating heal + sand throuhg glass results in the same problem ; 2 mirrors on top of each other. This is a BIG reason why mirror Design is a fail. Bandaid; make it stackable in Duration ; result ; 100% op with traited f4.

Maybe don't use both of those simultaneously? In all honesty, though, Sand Through Glass is just a bad utility. Instead of spawning a mirror and throwing you back it should just tp you backwards leaving a clone (two if traited) in your place and apply cloak. Fixed.. The backwards evade leaving you to run back up to grab it, or use Symmetry to get to it, is a bad design.

• FaboBabo.3581FaboBabo.3581 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017

@Vyriis.6258 said:

Having mained Mesmer in gw1, I personally hated the whole hex spreading concept. To me it was very boring, so I'm very glad of the gw2 illusions, although I agree the shatter skills need either a rework or replacing with something else. Do you think it would be too OP for the shatter effects to not consume illusions? Or perhaps the shatter skills could only shatter clones and not phantasms? Hell, you could even do something like this:

I loved the hexes of GW1. Pile them up on the strongest enemy in the group then BAM! Kill the whole group with one quick spread. I do agree, though, that it's not always fun, which is why I'd switch it up to an Assassin's Promise: Echoing Chaos build and spam Chaos Storms all over the place nuking all. Or a build which focused on shutting enemies down by constantly interrupting them or throwing the better version of Backfire on them and make them deal more damage to themselves than they are throwing at the player. Can't quite do that with GW2s Chaos Storm or interrupts, sadly.

And don't get me wrong; I do like how Mes plays in GW2; it's just not fun when all of our damage comes from AI that is tethered to a single target and our main mechanic is meant only as a finishing blow or for support (Diversion and Distortion), you can't actually use them in a dps rotation. And it's also sad that we can't just drop shatter as a function without removing the physical form illusions take on, as in some cases they could get stuck attacking something we need them to not attack (looking at things like orbs on KC or in Shattered Observatory Challenge Mote) or just holding aggro/body blocking something we need to move.

Maybe don't use both of those simultaneously? In all honesty, though, Sand Through Glass is just a bad utility. Instead of spawning a mirror and throwing you back it should just tp you backwards leaving a clone (two if traited) in your place and apply cloak. Fixed.. The backwards evade leaving you to run back up to grab it, or use Symmetry to get to it, is a bad design.

using oasis + i-ambush anyways. Sand through glass felt like a more controlled version of a dodge backwards which i think is usefull in some situations, but it appears (maybe ping issue) to have a weired "cast time", or maybe it can get queued after other skills and it doesnt cancel current skills idk, but was weired to use it in fight. Yeah This + renewing double Mirror made me drop Sand after like 20 minutes.

Edit : I'd make it a phase retreat(+stun break too here) + stealth for 3 seconds. No Mirage cloak or Mirror. 1 clone usually, 2 when traited. 25 seconds CD would fit for the stealth part. Mirage could actually need Stealth.....

"Basically they blend into whatever their surroundings are" .....

Mirage since Day 1 - It got better!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.