Stacking stat weapon sigils disabled in instances intentional?

Zionka.6897

I wasn't sure if this belonged in the bug section, but since I can't really see any reason that the +power, +condi, etc stacking weapon sigils would be disabled in story and other instances, it seems like an oversight/bug to me. I've always liked them, getting +250 on a stat is nice, and as long as I don't get downed, actually helps. If it's an intended mechanic, my apologies, and if it's not, I hope it changes in the future :)

They aren't technically disabled, it's a weird historical issue instead.

Originally, killing foes in instances granted loot and XP. People exploited this in instances with respawning foes, to gain extra loot & xp, which creates all sorts of other problems. As a result, instance rewards were changed to be awarded upon first completion, and include specific loot plus a set amount of XP.

As a side effect, the foes stopped triggering the condition which allowed relevant sigils to build up stacks. Fixing that would probably require changing fundamental components of various mechanics, so it seems unlikely that ANet is ever going to get around to making the adjustment. Besides which: there are lots of instances in which we're unlikely to build up more than 10 stacks, so it's viable to work around it using sigils that give a pre-defined boost.

tl;dr instance foes stopped counting for stacking sigils as a side-effect of fixing another problem; it's unlikely that ANet is going to fix it, because of the relatively high cost and the benefit which applies to a tiny fraction of players in a tiny fraction of the game.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:They aren't technically disabled, it's a weird historical issue instead.

Originally, killing foes in instances granted loot and XP. People exploited this in instances with respawning foes, to gain extra loot & xp, which creates all sorts of other problems. As a result, instance rewards were changed to be awarded upon first completion, and include specific loot plus a set amount of XP.

As a side effect, the foes stopped triggering the condition which allowed relevant sigils to build up stacks. Fixing that would probably require changing fundamental components of various mechanics, so it seems unlikely that ANet is ever going to get around to making the adjustment. Besides which: there are lots of instances in which we're unlikely to build up more than 10 stacks, so it's viable to work around it using sigils that give a pre-defined boost.

tl;dr instance foes stopped counting for stacking sigils as a side-effect of fixing another problem; it's unlikely that ANet is going to fix it, because of the relatively high cost and the benefit which applies to a tiny fraction of players in a tiny fraction of the game.

Actually that is not quite true.

Unless they've made a more recent change since the last time I checked(it was a while ago). The mobs from old instances that used to give exp and drop loot DO give stacks. It actually shows that it is possible to have mobs that give no exp and drops but still have them count for the stacking sigils. It's the mobs from newer instances/infinite respawns/summons from other mobs that do not count.

Also It was less of an issue with respawning mobs than instances that just had lots of mobs which allows people to kill, restart instance and repeat.

Archived