I don't like Transmutation Charges

Knacker.9520

I just worked out how the wardrobe feature works and im completely blown away by the IN-YOUR-FACE money grab on this feature. I'm beside myself. Its like $1 to change each item, and if you want to keep looking the same throughout your leveling experience, you need to keep spending a $1 for each piece of Armour you change out during the leveling progress...This is incredible. You guys make EA look like a bunch of school kids with this blatant money grab.

Not a bad game buy the way. Enjoying it so far.

@Knacker.9520 said:I just worked out how the wardrobe feature works and im completely blown away by the IN-YOUR-FACE money grab on this feature. I'm beside myself. Its like $1 to change each item, and if you want to keep looking the same throughout your leveling experience, you need to keep spending a $1 for each piece of Armour you change out during the leveling progress...This is incredible. You guys make EA look like a bunch of school kids with this blatant money grab.

Never transmute low level armour. Buy an outfit instead, the only thing I personally think they’re good for is levelling.

Map completion, pvp and wvw for transmutation charges. You also get 3/month from login rewards.

Not really a money grab if you can earn tons in game... I have 150ish charges atm.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Knacker.9520 said:I just worked out how the wardrobe feature works and im completely blown away by the IN-YOUR-FACE money grab on this feature. I'm beside myself. Its like $1 to change each item, and if you want to keep looking the same throughout your leveling experience, you need to keep spending a $1 for each piece of Armour you change out during the leveling progress...This is incredible. You guys make EA look like a bunch of school kids with this blatant money grab.

Never transmute low level armour. Buy an outfit instead, the only thing I personally think they’re good for is levelling.

Map completion, pvp and wvw for transmutation charges. You also get 3/month from login rewards.

Not really a money grab if you can earn tons in game... I have 150ish charges atm.

Pretty much this. Leveling in Gw2 goes very fast that any transmuted gear you have quickly gets outleveled. Once you hit lvl80, that is when you can focus on aquiring armor with desireable stats and hunt for skins you want to use to finalize that sweet look you have in mind.

Glad you are enjoying the game otherwise tho!

I haven't spend any gems on transmute charges; they drop from all sorts of other stuff. If you want to look the same for cheap throughout the leveling process, you can buy an outfit (US$5-10) and use it as often as you like for free after that (no transmutation).

Of course, as a new player, you don't have access to all these xmute charges; that's why some of us veterans forget the costs.

You can generate some of your own by

• Doing map completion in each city; with gliding or mounts, it's pretty quick and it helps you level up quickly too
  • As others have mentioned, you get a bunch from reward tracks in pvp and wvw. (You get a lot this way.)
  • A bunch of xmute charges drop for free from achievement chests & login rewards. (You get nominal amounts this way, enough to change the look of a few characters every so often.)

Even without the above, it seems cheaper to me than tons of other games. (Although obviously not as cheap as we could imagine.)

Keep in mind that the charges drop from some chests, they're not gem store only. You probably won't get enough to transmute every weapon and piece of armor while leveling to 80, but iirc you get a charge for map completion of a city and that's enough for a set of armor.As fast as the levels go though, it's less time-consuming to just wait and transmute everything at 80.

Not a bad game buy the way. Enjoying it so far.Did you simply bought the game? Watched no reviews, not comments reading, or any gameplay videos, no wiki reading?? But you managed come to forum and post yours "attentive" message, telling us that you were surprised. WHOLE internet could help you if you just ask! How serious is that? With approach like that our lives would be one big series of surprises.

Transmutation Charges are more like 30-35 cents apiece; here are methods of acquisition: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmutation_Charge_(item)#Acquisition (Links to Wiki pages with any parentheses won't work on these forums; you'll have to use the link on the page the posted link takes you to...sorry.)

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

If you don’t want to PvP/WvW and you have a char slot you can farm T charges by making a char and exploring cities 100% then delete and repeat. Once you get the routes it’s pretty fast. Doing PvP or WvW dailies is less tedious and will get you a slow but steady stream of T charges. I’ve never had to buy T charges as I’ve done the PvP dailies and map exploration, which earns them.

The link flags somewhere so it doesn't work as completely intended.

Skirmish chests are a really good way to get a charge although the other options such as 6 hero points are nice (proof of heroics or w/e).

Just a Flesh Wound also makes a really good point about the exploration plus it's cool to see all the cities.

@Lunarlife.5128 said:The link flags somewhere so it doesn't work as completely intended.

Skirmish chests are a really good way to get a charge although the other options such as 6 hero points are nice (proof of heroics or w/e).

Just a Flesh Wound also makes a really good point about the exploration plus it's cool to see all the cities.

I could have stated that better: The links with parentheses will take you, always, to a different page in the Wiki, which will then offer a link to the page the URL was copied from. Sorry.

@Umut.5471 said:Real money? I have over 350 transmutation charges and haven't bought any of them. It's a nonexistent problem.

depends on how long you've been playing, I ahve around the 200 and barely use them. I started playing during the headstart so it's no problem for me.If you're a new player however it is an issue if you want to change your gear (not that it's smart for non-exotic non lvl 80 gear to transmute).

Sorry OP but like others have intimated.. it's more a case of L2P really.Transmuting is in no way a forced money grab.You get enough charges free each month in game from a variety of game modes and logins that unless you are transmuting multiple times a day you shouldn't have a need for more.Leveling up in GW2 provides enough armours, weapons and such to not even worry about what you look like until you reach cap, then you can work on your particular style.. I mean levelling up a character takes like a week, maybe two if your slow like me... is that such a big deal considering how quickly your gear gets outdated through that process. If your transmuting your gear every level or two then... the joke is rightfully on you I am afraid.Easier to buy an outfit or two for your account and use them until you can loot, craft, the more desirable stuff in game after capping.

Glad your enjoying the game though, cos most players I know who feel they are/have been duped into a money grab situation have long left MMO's I play.

What Bloodstealer is saying in post right above joins what I was going to say. Transmutation points increase in no time while playing. Don't worry. The only thing is that you cannot expect to get everything immediately. Transmutation thingies are part of the earning from playing.Also, like said by someone else before, to use outfits as long as below level 80 is a good help to spare your transmutation points until you really need them: On your final armor.

As a new player I can see why it would be frustrating to not have the look you want when levelling. As a Veteran since Beta, I have never had to lay out anything for the transmutation charges. This doesn't help you in the immediate I know.

I've levelled a number of characters before and after the changes to WvW...for me WvW was and still is the quickest way to level if you get a good map. You can earn Tomes of Knowledge which if you don't already know, give you a level. Depending on how much play time you have you could get from L30-L80 within a week. In addition to the levels in WvW, you can earn coin and badges - the latter you can use to buy exotic gear from the WvW vendor - however a note of caution about the WvW gear - unless they've changed it you can't salvage it and retrieve your sigils and runes.

If you haven't yet hit L30 one way to speed that up is to participate in map events while you're doing your map completion. They give you tons of points, karma and other rewards.

There are lots of great tips here for dodging the costs but first and foremost - levelling can be pretty quick in this game so think about saving your transmutes until you hit 80. In the meantime hope you keep having fun, you'll be 80 before you know it!

Edited for accuracy: changed the word 'recycle' to 'salvage' (couldn't remember what the process was called at the time of writing)

Wow so much false info right from nowhere, I wish someone would review new topics before they go live.... And comparing Anet to EA, speechless.FoA, if you actually play the game you get many charges, and if you go PvP you simply said- poop them. Low level armor is pretty detailed and even on max level with all those fancy skins available I sometimes use simple one from the early levels. And dye system, use it. It can make anything look so different!

Wish there were more quality in forums.

I think we can agree you all got baited hard. And with every response you only encourage OP to repeat his actions in the future.

If we consider that some new players may be confused about transmutation system, it is not a surprise. Game has basically no tutorial. If I was to start the game today I would be spending more time reading wiki instead of exploring Tyria. However, at this point, there is no hope for the change. After 5 years game is more or less on life support stage of its existance - new players are not interested in old games so it should be catering to old players mostly to not lose whatever people are still playing.

I feel for new players entering the game. The whole "learning the game" has been forced upon community. So if any new player is confused as OP you shold find a non-raiding guild for yourself so people will teach you about the game.

Archived