Core S/D

TreK.3794

Hey all.

I've returned to gw2 after a while and have both elite specs unlocked. Interestingly enough what I found is that core s/d thief is quite strong. I would like to ask your opinions on what you think about the current state of s/d core thief compared to let's say dd s/d or dd d/p? I think it's quite competitive, but then again, I haven't played in a while, so I'm not sure what's been the meta nowadays. :)

Thanks!

Boonhate meta, S/D is okayish, but core S/D lacking dodges. You lose like 3 dodges (2 from steal assuming you running acro, and 1 from being daredevil), also you lose pulmonary impact and some great utilities S/d should run nowadays. (Bandit defense).Imo core S/D weaker than DD S/D

In my opinion Core s/d is a better fit for the set then using Daredevil. (Taking ACRO over Daredevil specifically)

I never found much need for the extra dodges given the ability to port in and out at will if need be. PI is not as used in Core s/d as the set has few Interrupts in the weapon meaning they come to you out of traits or utilities (you are just not going to be able to spam PI like a d/p user can). Acro gives Swindlers and don't stop and either PR or Instant reflexes synergizes very well with the build.

You can then take DA in a TR/ACRO/DA build with improv or executioners. With Swindler this means more steals which means more mugs which makes up for the damage of PI. Core thief stolen items gives multiple use in short order (fear, fear fear, fear....hide hide hide hide is a heck of a lot better then just fear, fear or hide ,hide). You always have poison. You can apply weakness with regularity via serpents/lotus poison and innate. You get an always on 10 percent bonus to sword. I found It just works better for applying constant pressure and you still get the always on swiftness and immob breaks that UC offers plus always on regen if PR selected let alone always on vigor.

Point of example if you really want to wreck someone using Core. Steal fear off Necro with improv traited. You now have 2 uses back to back. You will get an evade and reset which will give you 2 more uses. That 4 fears will do a lot for you.

I've been tinkering with DD, DE, CS, or DA paired with TR/ACR and sw/d(p). I definitely like CS or DA over DD and DE makes for interesting play, but all those steals from core to stay on target are too good. My build is already a little tanky so CS seems to be giving me the best mileage.

I only play wvw if you're asking about other game modes. Almost everything about core s/d, something like da/acro/trick with shortbow, feels just right for me but the little bit of extra distance Dash can clear is noticeable without. Having DA with Executioner and probably scholar runes and enough precision should make most fights pretty short and hanging around 18k health should let you bail most of the time if your shortbow 3 & 5 game is strong or if you have a refreshed Steal to land on trash far away. If you're trying to be competitive solo or with a group you're likely to end up going Daredevil still but it doesn't hurt to keep the feel of a core build in your fingers whenever you get a chance.

I enjoy core power sword dagger (DA, acro, trickery) the best out of all specs (in pvp). I like staff daredevil for pve.

I don’t really miss the dodges on daredevil. I feel like I have enough evades between dodges and sword 3. I also feel like I have enough mobility with sword 2 and steals.

I feel like I actually do better on the core spec. Plus to me it’s a lot more fun. Hits hard, is fast, and survives just fine.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah for me personally what I figured is I'm more consistent with core s/d than dd s/d in terms of damage output and rotations. I also really like Upper Hand cause it helps me stay in the fight longer if need be. Thanks again! :)

With the recent nerfs to Dash, Core S/D with DA/TR/Acro definitely feels better than something like DA/TR/DD or TR/Acro/DD. Deadeye only offers increased damage (coupled with DA it's remarkably bursty) which the set doesn't actually need imo. I've always played S/D for its sustainable damage, not so much the burst, so Deadeye just feels a bit lackluster to me for S/D (though it does work!)

Right now with the current meta, S/D does definitely have the potential to fill a niche. There's many boons and many blocks, so S/D does counter that rather nicely. So yeab. Not surprised that you feel core S/D does well, it simply soft counters a lot of the current meta builds and provides enough sustain to actually get something done.Sadly it won't be meta for PvP due to the nerfs to Dash very much hindering it's sustain and ability to function as a bruiser/dueller. Without Daredevil and Dash, you simply lack the mobility to keep up with the proper rotations in PvP. But for lower tiers and WvW, Core S/D is actually indeed a great alternative and a very enjoyable one at that. So enjoy it while the boon&block meta exists (bluntlyput, obviously), because it'll definitely maintain its niche during it, I'd say.

EDIT: Typed on phone, sorry for typos and weird grammar...

Archived