game freezing a lot recently

banni.6478

Before I elaborate, here're my relevant specs:intel core i7 7700 @ 3.60GHz16 GB ramNvidia Geforce GTX 1070

I think I've had this issue before on other PC's, off and on, so maybe it's just a matter of servers overloading. But my game keeps freezing up at random again lately. It will stop responding and I can't minimize it or do much of anything. I can pull up ctrl+alt+delete menu but if I select task manager, it opens behind the game so I can't use it anyways. I can use that method to reboot my PC if needed, but normally if I just wait long enough the game will finally close out or catch up again. Then it will continue to lag (or lag prior to freezing), but eventually it snaps out of it and I can play again.I'm just tired of this happening in the middle of doing something ingame, you know?

So is this a common issue or just me?

I've also had the same issue lately, so it's not just you. I'd say it's been present for about a week now (for me at least), starting when Halloween ended. Happens randomly, in different zones and usually when I'm mounted and turning while jumping on the raptor for example. Had it happen in Domain of Vabbi and Blazeridge Steppes so it's not just in the new areas.i7 6700K, 32GB, GTX 1080, Win10 64bit

Same thing happening to me. Started around the time of the Halloween Patch. Game just locks up solid. Music and sound effects playing in the background. Task manager shows that the client isn't showing "Not responding". Have to shut it down via task manager. Definitely something odd going on. Think there has been one NVIDIA Graphic Card update around the same sort of time. Not using any screen recording software (either Microsoft or Nvidia).

This sounds exactly similar to a recent post I commented on having the same issue. I'm running the program with compatability set to Windows 8 now and its stopped crashing (hopefully) but I have brief freezes instead. That's on top of the game's server-based lag which people have also been complaining about recently.

Relevant stats: i7 CPU 9610@3.20 GHz, Windows 10 Home v. 1703, GTX 1060 6GB, 12 GB RAM, x64 system, Windows and Nvida patched to the latest versions.

With that set up I don't think I should be getting the freezes, crashes or fps I get.

• 2 weeks later...

intel core i7 4770K @ 4.4 Ghz16 GB ramNvidia Geforce GTX 980Ti

Same problem here and I think it also started for me after Halloween patch. Tried different drivers from 388.00 to 388.43 (latest).Installed now with option to reset to defaults enabled and reinstalled DirectX9.

Same issue for as the OP. For me it seems to happen more often/always when mount's ability is used. Only way I found to avoid restart is to use ctrl+escape (or windows key) and log my account out (saves a bit of time on restarting). GTX1060. Originally blamed it on my aging mainboard/cpu, but replacing everything short of video card (and PSU) did nothing. Based on previous posts this seems like Nvidia driver issue with GW2.

• 3 weeks later...

@Zania.8461 said:Same issue for as the OP. For me it seems to happen more often/always when mount's ability is used. Only way I found to avoid restart is to use ctrl+escape (or windows key) and log my account out (saves a bit of time on restarting). GTX1060. Originally blamed it on my aging mainboard/cpu, but replacing everything short of video card (and PSU) did nothing. Based on previous posts this seems like Nvidia driver issue with GW2.

Now that you mentioned it, last time mine froze was because I used raptor long jump. Hmm.

Further to my post on the 20th November this is still happening. Was just in the new Istan zone, someone mentioned that the Legendary bounty Smoldge was up. Headed over to his spawn point. There were quite a few players at the location including commander. As I glided over towards them on my Griffon, the game just came to a standstill. Frozen Screen, yet the game music was playing in the background. Task Manager showed that the game wasn't "not responding".

It clearly happens when there are large numbers of players on the map. In this instance I don't think it was down to the sheer number of mounts, since the Legendary was well engaged and a lot of people would not have been on them.

Whilst my machine isn't the latest all singing all dancing system it runs GW2 fairly well (and judging by the posts above it doesn't matter if you do have a top spec machine) - its a Intel Q6600 based machine (don't laugh it works quite well to be honest) it has 8gb memory, an Asus Nvidia 970GTX graphics card with 4Gb memory, Running Nvidia drivers V388.43 and has a 1tb SSD drive so loading of zones etc it pretty quick.

I doubt I'm the only one with this issue.

16 times in four days. This is getting very old - so why aren't we being answered on these crashes that are ongoing and damaging to players' game time?

*Addendum 16 crashes so far in three days. 16th just five minutes ago. Four crashes in less than two hours... 29 Dec 2017

**Addendum 4 crashes 30 Dec 2017 All freezing to a solid screen, can still hear and see what's going on but not even ctrl, alt, deldoes a thing - the computer must be hard booted every single time.

Hard boot required as you watch the game playing, your music is still playing in the background (as it has for five years)and all the while losing buffs and loot.

The game is in dire condition, for some, at present.

We need to stop asking why individual computers are crashing but others are not and look to the network when a computer is completelyclean and has no other crashes except (markup from the button above is broken too) Guild Wars 2.

If it's not drivers, client side networking issues, malware, viruses and everything else runs without GW2 running, we needto ask why the servers are miscommunicating with our computers to cause such a hard freezeout.

Not a small issue - buffs take a while to build up, game time is limited for so many who work at all (I can't, I am too ill to do so but did workfor 33 years, ergo I play GW2 to keep my mind off pain - a lot of pain).

As a computer expert who has gone through hours and hours of troubleshooting on this single issue in the last week, I can tell you it'snot all computers but in the Silverwastes three of us had almost constant drops out of the game over a two hour period.

Something is wrong since all of our computers are completely different and our areas of the world where we play, were diverse to say the least.

It's not fixed for me either. Game freezes randomly, how much time passes is completely arbitrary. It can be just 1 hour or I can play for many hours on end before the picture freezes and I have to terminate the game via task manager. At least it usually takes longer rather than shorter time before it happens, so the game isn't completely unplayable. But it is still extremely annoying, and I wish there was a quick fix for this soon. The few other games I play seem to work fine. (I don't play that many nowadays though).

I just saw an article at the Register that says that there are some design flaws in Intel CPUs that can be used to circumvent security. In order to mitigate this, they have been working on a patch, which unfortunately will incour up to a 30% hit in performance. This not only effects personal PCs, but also server farms such as Amazon's cloud servers.

Quote from the article: "There is presently an embargoed security bug impacting apparently all contemporary [intel] CPU architectures that implement virtual memory, requiring hardware changes to fully resolve. Urgent development of a software mitigation is being done in the open and recently landed in the Linux kernel, and a similar mitigation began appearing in NT kernels in November. In the worst case the software fix causes huge slowdowns in typical workloads. There are hints the attack impacts common virtualisation environments including Amazon EC2 and Google Compute Engine...

I wonder if this could be part of the reason of the lag that we have been experiencing. They have been working on the patch to the flaw since November. Which coincides with when we started getting the lagginess...

• 2 months later...

Hi there !

I read this post today and i refresh them because i have the same problem of freeze from... i dont know exactly but several weeks for sure (in combat too, not only with raptor or other mount). I think too it's from nvidia graphic card because i don't have window's update before than the game freeze, but i can't install an old version of the pilot to test.

So if someone know something about this problem that it will be great to have news ! :)

( GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, pilot version 391.35 (last as now but the previous had freeze too) / Intel QuadCore i7 7700 / 16Go RAM )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My game locks up oddly sometimes (unfortunately, now more often than not, lately) when I Alt+Tab out of the game (fullscreen mode). I can hear the in-game sounds but I am unable to Alt+Tab back into the game. My mouse, even though I am on my desktop, looks like the GW2 in-game mouse.

I'm unable to do anything (unable to interact with the mouse or keyboard in any application or the desktop) as the game has 'focus' even though I am unable to bring up GW2 window again.

For instance, I am able to Ctrl+Alt+Del and bring up the Task Manager, but because the game has 'focus', I am unable to interact with the Task Manager to End Task for GuildWars2.

I can only Ctrl+Alt+Del and restart my computer (or use 'Sign Out' and then have to restart all applications again).

This has been an issue for me for several months now (starting with the PoF release to be exact) though it now happens with much, much greater frequency as of the last few days.

Another way I can sometimes--though much more rarely--trigger this same issue is to dismount from any of my mounts. Game freezes and I am forced to restart (or Sign Off) computer.

I have the Windows 10 1803 build, I have Focus Assist turned off (including "When I'm playing a game"). I have an nVidia card and am using the most current drivers.

• 1 year later...

Sorry, for kinda necro-ing this thread, but I recently came across this problem, too.In my case, the game always freezes during high zerg battles during WvW. Sound still plays, but the game itself freezes and I have to ctrl+alt+del it.Did someone come across a good solution?

• 7 months later...