Can someone explain servers to me please?

Veprovina.4876

I'm confused by how WvW matchups work.

Like, i'm on Gandara server, and one week, i was playing against my guildmate (can't remember his server), but next week we were playing for the same team.I have another firend, he's on Underworld i think, are we sometimes going to be randomly on the same team or what?How does this work?

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:So if i want to play with a friend, either of us needs to transfer a server?

if you want to be allies, yes. else, you will be allies at one point and enemy in another. or neither.

but in pve its ok

Ah, so there is a chance that at one point we will play for the same team? If so, that's ok.

I know about PvE, that's all one region but i'm always confused how WvW works.

@ThunderPanda.1872 said:Classic example on why bimonthly relinks should be changed

What do you mean?

originally, pve and wvw were on the same server / community. The pve community was having difficulty playing parts of the game because the servers weren't populated enough to keep every area in the game active 24/7, and people had friends on other servers they wanted to play with, guilds were linked to their respective servers.

Cue the mega-server which made it so all pve maps were as full as possible at all times by mixing servers to maps - The guilds were then made to be compatible with the mega-server system.

Meanwhile, wvw stayed with the old system of being hardwired to 1 server, but guilds were now focused on the pve aspect of the game, so now you can have members from any server in your guild. when a member of your guild from your same server is on wvw - you will always see them, when any other linked server which your guildmates are on, you will see them as well.

I hope that helps!

@Ricky.4706 said:originally, pve and wvw were on the same server / community. The pve community was having difficulty playing parts of the game because the servers weren't populated enough to keep every area in the game active 24/7, and people had friends on other servers they wanted to play with, guilds were linked to their respective servers.

Cue the mega-server which made it so all pve maps were as full as possible at all times by mixing servers to maps - The guilds were then made to be compatible with the mega-server system.

Meanwhile, wvw stayed with the old system of being hardwired to 1 server, but guilds were now focused on the pve aspect of the game, so now you can have members from any server in your guild. when a member of your guild from your same server is on wvw - you will always see them, when any other linked server which your guildmates are on, you will see them as well.

I hope that helps!

Thank you.

Is there a list somewhere which servers are linked? Do the links change each week or based on some score or something?

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Ricky.4706 said:originally, pve and wvw were on the same server / community. The pve community was having difficulty playing parts of the game because the servers weren't populated enough to keep every area in the game active 24/7, and people had friends on other servers they wanted to play with, guilds were linked to their respective servers.

I hope that helps!

Thank you.

Is there a list somewhere which servers are linked? Do the links change each week or based on some score or something?

1. yes.
  2. based on anet algorythm.

i believe each linking lasts 2 months- and as Sovereign said, it's based on an algorithm that factors attendance / score and all those kinds of stats of the last match, in an effort to make the matches balanced. we don't know who we will be matched up with next yet ...maybe somewhere it's known, but it's not public knowledge that I know of.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World#Currently_linked_worlds

This site has some more info on worlds, unfortunately it looks like the "currently linked worlds" is quite outdated....

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/12856/world-linking-10-27-2017#latest

Latest post from the dev's saying the current link. They usually post it here on the forums right after a new link (last friday each even month, the wiki also says this)

@joneirikb.7506 said:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World#Currently_linked_worlds

This site has some more info on worlds, unfortunately it looks like the "currently linked worlds" is quite outdated....

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/12856/world-linking-10-27-2017#latest

Latest post from the dev's saying the current link. They usually post it here on the forums right after a new link (last friday each even month, the wiki also says this)

Thank you! I guess i'll hope that someday i'll bump into a server link so we can play WvW as a team. If not, oh well, there's always PvE.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:the old home server thing should be changed into mega servers for wvw under 3 factions and multiple borderland instances. hehe.

Because EotM totally works, amirite?

it did once =) but then came pips

Yeah EOTM was quite popular some time ago. I wondered why it became a wasteland. Then i started playing WvW and saw you don't get pips in EOTM.

The singlehandedly broke an entire game mode with one design choice lol.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:the old home server thing should be changed into mega servers for wvw under 3 factions and multiple borderland instances. hehe.

Yeah EOTM was quite popular some time ago. I wondered why it became a wasteland. Then i started playing WvW and saw you don't get pips in EOTM.

Which is great because EOTM broke WvW when it was released.

EOTM was originally meant to be a queue overflow for WvW servers where you could win and get extra supply for your server as a way to contribute to your server's WvW match while you were waiting to get into a WvW map, but they instead released it as a conglomeration of the different colors. This caused it to become a giant ktrain map that sucked away a lot of players from WvW.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

Which is great because EOTM broke WvW when it was released.

EOTM was originally meant to be a queue overflow for WvW servers where you could win and get extra supply for your server as a way to contribute to your server's WvW match while you were waiting to get into a WvW map, but they instead released it as a conglomeration of the different colors. This caused it to become a giant ktrain map that sucked away a lot of players from WvW.

Huh? I'd argue static servers killed WvW on release. Despite the game selling a million or so copies, only a fraction from launch could actually play WvW at prime time (20 or 40 thousand players), or be left waiting in queue. Eotm just came too late from that perspective. It's still a bad map design though....

At this stage MistWars and EotM are two separate things, and it doesn't really matter any longer what they where supposed to be or not.

I think that if ANet could have done it at launch, they would have made the EotM style Megaserver for all of WvW from the get go. It does have quite a few good points in removing some of the problems with the server-style-WvW. But by then communities had already formed, and they realized the backlash would have been too big.

Personally I think there is room for both, but with some changes. But too lazy to start on that here. Essentially both have good and bad sides, different people is attracted to different things, and I wish ANet focused on that aspect, and rather tried to make different maps/modes, instead of forcing all into the same routine we already got.

And the first step for that, is to remove the "home" borderland map design, so we don't need 3 "identical" maps.

But think about this: How would you have reacted if GW2 launched with EotM style megaserver WvW only, and not the single server style? You can't miss what you've never experienced :p

Well all this server talk is hurting my brain lol, i guess i'll have to get used to it.Bottom line, before the digression, servers are linked every few months, and i can't play WvW with my guild mates or my friends unless we're on the same server or a linked server. Bummer, but WvW is fun without them anyway, so it's ok.

Is your WvW experience feeling a little down?Have most of your WvW guilds and players moved on to newer pastures?Well you can too with our new and improved Gem store!Yes, you too can buy Gems with real money and transfer to a new server where all your old WvW friends are now!But that's not all!When more and more players move to your new server and the challenges become too easy;Dont worry you can buy more Gems with real money and move to yet another server!So buy today and refresh your WvW experience!

Is your PvE experience feeling a little down?Dont worry for our special players we have created the MegaServer!No need to spend real money on Gems, we've decided to throw all players into the same instance!In a World Boss fight with not enough players?Then just press Y and use our hand LFG tool to move to a more populated instance where there are!No more dead server worries for you!But dont worry you dont need to pay for this service.The WvW players will pay as we continue to drag that game mode to it's grave!

Archived