Do you game with your kids?

Super Hayes.6890

Okay, I apologize in advance that only a percentage of you will be able to relate to this. When I game my 5 year old and 2 year old like to sit in my lap and "participate." It has led to some very interesting moments. My current favorite is my 5 year old asking me to jump off the tower (Lion's Arch lighthouse) for the sole reason of waiting for me to fly off so she can hit the spacebar and watch me plummet into the water. I then swim over to the beach nearby where she laughs while I make my character dance on the fire.

Do any of you have moments like this that you want to share? I thought this might spark some interesting sharing :)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My older son (9 years-old) loves watching me do jumping puzzles. His favorites are the Wintersday and Clocktower JPs. He doesn't do this anymore, but he used to get SO into watching me do them that he'd hop/jump anytime my character did. It could get distracting, but it was also adorable. He also cheers along with the gingerbread men at the end of the Wintersday JP.

I don't have any kids but I've got some great memories of playing games with my parents. Especially a point and click puzzle game called Legend of Kyrandia which my whole family played together. It worked well because we all had our own strengths - mum made maps of the levels, dad was the methodical one, my brother and sister had all kinds of crazy "lateral thinking" ideas which sometimes worked and I collected and tried using all the items.

Sadly my parents never got into big, long RPGs so they don't play GW2.

My mom did join a D&D game session with me back in the 80's when I was in college. She played a cleric of Coyote and she got us out of a tough situation by intimidating an enemy via coyote yipping to call her god on the baddie if he didn't stand down. Yep, sitting there at the table, yowling :) She didn't get into lengthier RP with me, alas, not having the time. She envied me since when -she- was in college, long-lasting Monopoly games were about all there was in that vein. But as her SF library is what got me into F&SF and from there to D&D and tabletop and LARP and then MMOs, I'm not complaining.

If I had kids I would of course be having them play with me ... assuming I had time to play games. Seems like all my friends who spawn young then essentially disappear from my MMOs for a few years. I do have one guildie who has four toddlers using up her time and still manages GW2, ESO, lengthy RP, and tabletop gaming, but she's super mom or something. Another guildie's ferret has been contributing interesting strings of letters to Discord chat.

Last Wintersday there was an amazing video of a 4 year old girl acing the festival JP. If I had a child, I'd want me one like that, heh.

I don't have kids but I've got a little brother who I look after. He got into the game after seeing me play it. He likes playing as the Sylvari and Ranger is his favourite class because of the pet.

He loves to embarrass me in the guild we're in. He makes up stuff all the time and I can't leave myself logged in otherwise he types in chat from my character.

In an MMO we used to play before this we wiped on the first group of mobs and I jokingly made a comment about the healer. Turns out the healer was me and I forgot... He loves to tell that one.

@Reinthir.1349 said:

@Donari.5237 said:Last Wintersday there was an amazing video of a 4 year old girl acing the festival JP. If I had a child, I'd want me one like that, heh.

Part of me really wants to see that video. The other part doesn't want to admit that a 4 year old is better than me at this game.

Watch or not as you see fit then:

• ArenaNet Staff

We've been gaming with our kids since they were little. They're older now and we still do, tabletop and PC.

I don't have a specific single moment, but lots of little ones over the years of raising gaming kids. My oldest daughter playing GW1 with me and her dad when she was 11. Helping my youngest through her personal story last year. My oldest took a game design course her junior and senior years in high school and is now an advisor for the class--and her brother is taking the class now. I finally picked up Overwatch last week and am playing it with my two oldest, so we're still making gaming memories. :)

My kids are not interested in GW2. I think they see it as 'mum's game' and not anything they would play (sorry Anet) but when they were younger, I used to watch them play their video games and offer advice. I was never much good at them myself but I 'knew' the best way to do it.

My grand-daughter played GW2 for a while a few years ago. I remember feeling proud, and a little envious of her fearlessness and dexterity, when she bobbed her way up Morgan's Spiral on a broomstick.

Both of my kids have GW2 accounts. My daughter played at launch, and when my son got a little older I got him his own account. He still plays. She pretty much only logs in at Halloween. My favourite moment was playing Living Story Season 1 with my daughter. We were lucky enough to be able to play the Southsun Karka Queen event, without either of us getting disconnected. We also played the Marionette event together.

I would play with my daughter now she's but older but we don't have the space currently to set up another pc. She has her own account already; all the characters are named from Frozen.

@Donari.5237 said:

@Reinthir.1349 said:

@Donari.5237 said:Last Wintersday there was an amazing video of a 4 year old girl acing the festival JP. If I had a child, I'd want me one like that, heh.

Part of me really wants to see that video. The other part doesn't want to admit that a 4 year old is better than me at this game.

Omg, that was so smooth. No matter it was a four yo doing it but there wasn't any lagging or stuttering lol. So many dreams...

@Donari.5237 said:

@Reinthir.1349 said:

This 4 year old is plays so much better then me in JP. Wish I have someone to help me clear all my JPs :expressionless:

Archived