Permanently Immobilized

https://imgur.com/a/3sxcF

My character was permanently immobilized, unable to chase down the person. It wouldn't have mattered if I condition cleansed, because he had immobilization on a short cooldown. It got up to something like 5/6 stacks within the couple of seconds we battled. So my character stood there taking it until he finally downed my character. Effortless.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a thief using pistol mainhand. I'm no expert on the build, but he clearly had some poison and bleed stacked, so cleansing would not have been wasted effort. Something to understand about the thief class is they work off of initiative on their weapon skills rather than cooldowns. This is nice for them in that they can spam abilities like that 1.5s immobilize on body shot back to back. On the other hand, all of their weapon skills draw from the same finite resource pool. In other words, the thief can spam immob and lock you in place, but if you cleanse those bleed/poison stacks he won't deal any damage in the process because the purpose of that skill is to apply immob and vulnerability, not to deal damage.

The problem from what I can see in your combat log is that you stood there letting poison and bleed tick away your health while immobilized when you should have cleansed those. The thief can immob you all he wants, but if you cleanse the abilities that are actually dealing damage all he's doing is keeping you from getting close enough to rip his face off.

Well i'm a Guardian so there's 0 chance of killing the guy. Also I tried battling shortly after. I have a habit of standing there with immobilization, to add a bit of dramatic effect. The difference is the immobilizations continued stacking, so even after I cleansed it didn't matter. Full health and the immobilizations continued, on top of Daze and other ridiculous things. I activated maybe two or three skills and was already done.

That's just broken.

Wei Qi near full ascended gear and my character goes down like butter, even with a -10% incoming damage signet. Either that class is beyond broken, or Guardians are beyond useless.

@Toolbox.9375 said:It's easy to feel that way in WvW. It takes a lot of time and experimentation, but you do eventually find ways to fight back and improve. Research what you can to know what exactly is happening/has happened in each fight, and you'll pick up on how to make these fights feel less futile.

Yeah maybe you're right. Perhaps I should just not play Guardian, because no matter what build I try it never works.

Edit: By "No matter what build I try" I do mean "ALL FOUR" possible builds out there for Guardian. Meditation, Signet, Consecration, Shout. Greatsword, Focus/Scepter, Staff, Sword/Shield, Mace/Shield. List goes on. Doesn't matter, because Guardians are just trash.

@"Almighty Dervisher.6720" said:Well i'm a Guardian so there's 0 chance of killing the guy. Also I tried battling shortly after. I have a habit of standing there with immobilization, to add a bit of dramatic effect. The difference is the immobilizations continued stacking, so even after I cleansed it didn't matter. Full health and the immobilizations continued, on top of Daze and other ridiculous things. I activated maybe two or three skills and was already done.

That's just broken.

Wei Qi near full ascended gear and my character goes down like butter, even with a -10% incoming damage signet. Either that class is beyond broken, or Guardians are beyond useless.

A few thing to note Guardian/Dragonhunter counter Thief -10% damage Signet doesn't reduce Condi damage which is what you were facing a Condi Build most likely Pistol/Dagger.

DH has some of the best traits and skills to cleanse Condi especially Immob, can't really give to many specifics since we don't know your build, but there are a few builds that work extremely well against Thieves both power and Condi, the main one is Meditrapper both the Variants one using Pack Runes or the one using Durability Runes.https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_Meditrapper_roamer

This is more of a learning issue and figuring out mechanics.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@"Almighty Dervisher.6720" said:Well i'm a Guardian so there's 0 chance of killing the guy. Also I tried battling shortly after. I have a habit of standing there with immobilization, to add a bit of dramatic effect. The difference is the immobilizations continued stacking, so even after I cleansed it didn't matter. Full health and the immobilizations continued, on top of Daze and other ridiculous things. I activated maybe two or three skills and was already done.

That's just broken.

A few thing to note Guardian/Dragonhunter counter Thief -10% damage Signet doesn't reduce Condi damage which is what you were facing a Condi Build most likely Pistol/Dagger.

DH has some of the best traits and skills to cleanse Condi especially Immob, can't really give to many specifics since we don't know your build, but there are a few builds that work extremely well against Thieves both power and Condi, the main one is Meditrapper both the Variants one using Pack Runes or the one using Durability Runes.

"Signet Passive: -10% incoming Damage, -10% Incoming Condition Damage". Yeah it does reduce condition damage.

@choovanski.5462 said:learn to play the meditrapper build @BlaqueFyre.5678 linked above. you will have no issue w thieves ever again. burn guard can work well too, but I've always liked power myself

DH hardcounters thief in PvP, and it's almost as good in WvW. you are on a good class to kill those thieves

Yeah sure i'll just SPEND MONEY to play a profession that's useless. Seems like a good initiative.

@Almighty Dervisher.6720 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Almighty Dervisher.6720 said:Well i'm a Guardian so there's 0 chance of killing the guy. Also I tried battling shortly after. I have a habit of standing there with immobilization, to add a bit of dramatic effect. The difference is the immobilizations continued stacking, so even after I cleansed it didn't matter. Full health and the immobilizations continued, on top of Daze and other ridiculous things. I activated maybe two or three skills and was already done.

That's just broken.

DH has some of the best traits and skills to cleanse Condi especially Immob, can't really give to many specifics since we don't know your build, but there are a few builds that work extremely well against Thieves both power and Condi, the main one is Meditrapper both the Variants one using Pack Runes or the one using Durability Runes.

"Signet Passive: -10% incoming Damage, -10% Incoming Condition Damage". Yeah it does reduce condition damage.

I stand corrected, I haven't looked at that Signet in a long time. But even in that case that's only 10% reduction which is very low in the grand scheme of things.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Almighty Dervisher.6720 said:Well i'm a Guardian so there's 0 chance of killing the guy. Also I tried battling shortly after. I have a habit of standing there with immobilization, to add a bit of dramatic effect. The difference is the immobilizations continued stacking, so even after I cleansed it didn't matter. Full health and the immobilizations continued, on top of Daze and other ridiculous things. I activated maybe two or three skills and was already done.

That's just broken.

I stand corrected, I haven't looked at that Signet in a long time. But even in that case that's only 10% reduction which is very low in the grand scheme of things.

I won't disagree about that. Guardians have some of THE most useless skills in the entire game. 30 second cooldowns, pointless CC that's ineffective. Burst that is done better on every other class. The only thing Guardians are known for is some questionable bunker build (which is done way better by another profession now btw) and Empower on the staff. I've never experienced more frustration with ArenaNet about a profession. This is THE WORST profession, and ArenaNet doesn't seem interested at all about fixing each type of build the Guardian can use.

@choovanski.5462 said:learn to play the meditrapper build @BlaqueFyre.5678 linked above. you will have no issue w thieves ever again. burn guard can work well too, but I've always liked power myself

DH hardcounters thief in PvP, and it's almost as good in WvW. you are on a good class to kill those thieves

Yeah sure i'll just SPEND MONEY to play a profession that's useless. Seems like a good initiative.

The build is far from Useless as it is one of the main staples of WvW in both zergs and is a really strong Roaming class, it just seems your build may not be up to par, even Core Guardian can be a strong Roaming class if built right not as strong as DH but strong, since Guardian has ample Condi cleanse and heals, and Defenses through blocks and projectile hate.

Again it's a learning issue.

DH and Guard are very strong pics with both Power Builds and Condi.

I guess if Guard is so useless why it the main staple class of WvW? It must be so useless lol when majority of WvW players play it.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

The build is far from Useless as it is one of the main staples of WvW in both zergs and is a really strong Roaming class, it just seems your build may not be up to par, even Core Guardian can be a strong Roaming class if built right not as strong as DH but strong, since Guardian has ample Condi cleanse and heals, and Defenses through blocks and projectile hate.

This is not a learning issue. There's nothing to learn in this game. Mesmers like illusions and punish the player who doesn't get up close to them. Warriors are just warriors, simple enough. Don't get caught by 3 or 2. Elementalists I actually forget, you don't see a lot of those. Thieves do burst damage after stealth typically. Though apparently that's changed into just long ranged BS. Necromancers are what Guardians could have been. Tanky, Conditions, mobility, even stealth. Rangers have a lot of conditions and CC, along with some potential pet cheese. They also have a lot of annoying mobility/blinds. Engineers? Don't fight on their ground pretty much.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

This is not a learning issue. There's nothing to learn in this game. Mesmers like illusions and punish the player who doesn't get up close to them. Warriors are just warriors, simple enough. Don't get caught by 3 or 2. Elementalists I actually forget, you don't see a lot of those. Thieves do burst damage after stealth typically. Though apparently that's changed into just long ranged BS. Necromancers are what Guardians could have been. Tanky, Conditions, mobility, even stealth. Rangers have a lot of conditions and CC, along with some potential pet cheese. They also have a lot of annoying mobility/blinds. Engineers? Don't fight on their ground pretty much.

this is a learning issue. don't get caught by 2 or 3 warriors? stealth necromancers? ranger blinds? what are you even talking about.

@Dethl.2875 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

this is a learning issue. don't get caught by 2 or 3 warriors? stealth necromancers? ranger blinds? what are you even talking about.

Probably trolling, but i'll respond anyway. Warrior Greatsword, one of the most common things you see in pvp or wvw. 2 is a huge damage attack over a second or two, but is easy to notice. Three is the mobility move that also tends to do a great amount of damage. Avoid either of those and you've pretty much won the fight against a warrior, if your class isn't trash. Necromancer stealth I mispoke a bit, though I swear one's stealthed at one point. Rangers can blind.

oh geez, you know nothing of the other classes. Make some alt characters and play some other classes, then you'll learn their weaknesses instead of just noticing your own. Also in wvw and pvp the last thing you want is to get caught by a thief in the open by yourself. They are designed to hit and run. His build and pistol are meant to do exactly what it did. Be more aware of you surroundings and don't let the thief get close or stick with people. Pistol and condi thief is a pain in the ass.

@ScottBroChill.3254 said:oh geez, you know nothing of the other classes. Make some alt characters and play some other classes, then you'll learn their weaknesses instead of just noticing your own. Also in wvw and pvp the last thing you want is to get caught by a thief in the open by yourself. They are designed to hit and run. His build and pistol are meant to do exactly what it did. Be more aware of you surroundings and don't let the thief get close or stick with people. Pistol and condi thief is a pain in the kitten.

Guild Wars 2 isn't rewarding enough to try another profession. Simple as that. I also played that way in Guild Wars. Started off with Warrior but specialized in Dervish. Even after the heavy nerfs i'd still make some builds that crushed players. Whether it was a burn, balth runner, lyssa sweeper, or something hilarious like 2~3 shot guarantee no condition elite (forget the name of that one).

On Guild Wars 2... not so many options. I press 1 over and over and sometimes other skills, and get bored. Weapon swapping doesn't improve quality of gameplay.

Archived