Why the useless shards (advanced crafting materials tier 3) have high price?

Atamazon.7062

(I know this is maybe an unnecessary question, but it just bugging me)

For example this one: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Corrupted_ShardI don't see anything worthy that can be crafted out of it, but it can still sell for 30s and there are ppl buying it? Is the wiki lacking and you can craft some useful things with it? (this apply for all "shard" in the same tier 3)

The supply is only 3k on a demand of 2k, which compares to nearly a million supply of corrupted cores compared to a demand of only 55k. That explains the price difference.

However, it leaves the question of: what are those buyers planning on doing with 2000 shards?

One possibility: someone has tried to corner the market and make a profit by putting up their own buy offers in the 20 silver range so they can sell in the 30s range.

• Only 344 buy offers are for >20s
  • 350 are for 2-12 silver
  • 775 are for 1-2s
  • 540 are <= 0.5s.

That "top" stack & half of buy offers requires only 75 gold. Selling a stack at 35s would turn a small profit.(There are ways to counter that strategy, but they basically mean blowing a bunch of gold just to eliminate the suspected power trader's stock.)

tl;dr I speculate that someone is trying to make a few gold using a relatively low risk strategy of buying up all the cheap stock, putting in their own buy offers at a steep markup, and then reselling the original stock for a modest fortune.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The supply is only 3k on a demand of 2k, which compares to nearly a million supply of corrupted cores compared to a demand of only 55k. That explains the price difference.

However, it leaves the question of: what are those buyers planning on doing with 2000 shards?

One possibility: someone has tried to corner the market and make a profit by putting up their own buy offers in the 20 silver range so they can sell in the 30s range.

• Only 344 buy offers are for >20s
  • 350 are for 2-12 silver
  • 775 are for 1-2s
  • 540 are <= 0.5s.

That "top" stack & half of buy offers requires only 75 gold. Selling a stack at 35s would turn a small profit.(There are ways to counter that strategy, but they basically mean blowing a bunch of gold just to eliminate the suspected power trader's stock.)

tl;dr I speculate that someone is trying to make a few gold using a relatively low risk strategy of buying up all the cheap stock, putting in their own buy offers at a steep markup, and then reselling the original stock for a modest fortune.

344 buy offers for >20s and that is from at most 9 people

Archived