Which Stat Sets Are Good For Which Builds?

Donari.5237

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/17038/what-is-this-stat-set-good-for#latest

That thread is focused on one stat set and questioning its overall validity. But it got me thinking -- right now as I gear up my new Elites I find myself searching for build recommendations and mostly finding raid/wvw/pvp suggestions when I really just want a solid open world build suggestion to act as a springboard for me to tweak to my playstyle.

So I'd like to ask here for some ideas that tackle it from the other direction. Looking through the 3/4/inconsistent sets of attributes in https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attribute_combinations , what would each support well? Eg I'm liking Viper for my condi Reaper. Viper works well for many other builds, too. So I'm talking broad strokes, not min-max deep analysis, as to what each stat set aids.

"That is not how it works. That is not how any of this work."

You cannot just pick a weird stat-combo and ask people to find a viable build for it. I did not answer to the guy with the vigilant request, because if I start it once there will be someone asking for builds for all the other weird stat-combos. We are not NPC's or work for you. We play the game as you do and are more or less willing to help those who have questions. I heared rumors that qT is on idle atm? If you are bored, make a build yourself. If you run into issues, we gladly help. But that request of yours is a joke.

The only thing I can offer you ...How to create a build?

The IdeaFirst of all, you need an idea. The more crazy it is, the better. In my case, mostly shower-thoughts grant the best results or playing old games on my consoles. Looking arround my retro-game collection ... Zelda ^^. Let's say I want to make a character which plays and looks like our good old friend Link from the Zelda game series. We have an elvish character, male, with a green suit, a shield and a shiny sword. Melee fighter, able to use bow and magic.

The raceThe elvish approach can be done with Sylvari and Human. I have made a coupld of light- and dark-elf cosplays in the past. Both work. In terms of creativity, asura is a cool alternative though. Depending on your sense of humor and which Zelda games you want to take as reference of the character.

The classMain weapon sword + shield = Revenant, Mesmer, Guardian, WarriorAlternative weapon bow = Revenant (either shield or bow), Guardian, WarriorAlternative attribute magic = Guardian

Result: Guardian/Dragonhunter

The traitsNow that we know we want to play a Dragonhunter, we know one traitline for sure. Dragonhunter.How about some traits which support our weapons?Bow is in Dragonhunter line, we select those traits as last. The elites are in most cases overpowered and should be (imho) used to finish a character build. To balance out weakpoints or overpower strengths depending on the spin the character receives from the other traitlines.Onehanded Sword - Right-Hand Strength in Radiance.Shield - Stalwart Defender in Valor.

Knowing that we play sword+shield and longbow, which are all direct damage weapons. We could already make decisions about the stats. But we need to finish the traitlines first. In addition we can already look out for some utility skill type we may want to improve. For survival and open-world builds I always focus on the healing-skill first. Guardian has a few very smart ones, like the littany of wrath. But as this is a crazy idea, I want to try out signets once again. Signet heal is over 8000 HP, which is pretty much, considering the low base HP of the Guardian. And as the radiance traits first minor grants us a good chance for light-aura/retalitaion, Retribution looks interesting.

Radiance: Right-Hand Strength = Retribution = Perfect Inscriptions

Now let us have a look at the Valor traitline. The previously selected Stalwart Defender is the middle trait. By chosing this, we cannot pick the group-buff for toughness and no improvement for blocking. So we can try to improve blocking with other traits, as we use a shield. Or ignore this feature in total. Smiter's Boon improves the healing skill and makes it deal damage. We do not use a focus and Strength of the Fallen is basically another attemtp to get rid of conditions. I personally prefer Smiter's Boon, because I used it in serveral builds and it worked excellent. The last one is a bit tricky. We can improve the blocking ability once again. Or we can abandon it again. Monk's Focus has a synergetic effect with Smiter's Boon, so it would be not a perfect choice to take anything else. On the other hand, we want an open-world build with hopefully weird stats, so we should pick Retributive Armor which allows and forces us to skill on thoughness, in order to improve our damage ^^.

Valor: Smiter's Boon = Stalwart Defender = Retributive Armor

Now we head back to the previously chosen Dragon Hunter traitline and recap what we have chosen in the other lines. We could use a source of retaliation. We use inscriptions, swords, sheilds. And we benefit from increased toughness. In addition, anything that improves blocking might be welcome. And we use the Longbow ofcourse. With the Dragonhunter, we get access to the traps, which I would use for the "magic" Link uses against his foes. Thinking about the SNES version, we have the medallions which call upon the elements and create massive area-spells. So we should consider using traps. Piercing Light looks promising. Hunter's Determination looks good as well. The alternatives are not much interesting, they do not boost any of our previous decisions. Now we have to decide, crit-power or direct damage increase. When I played the old Zelda games, I used the shield to block tons of attacks. If it was not for that shield, I would not have made it through the tutorial ever ... so I will stick with the blocking ability, which will result in a ferocity boost when blocking attacks - Hunter's Fortification.

Dragonhunter: Peircing Light = Hunter's Determination = Hunter's Fortification

Skillselection: Signet of Resolve (Heal) + Procession of Blades + Signet of Judgement + Light's Judgement + Dragon's Maw

Now we have the traits. We know that we focus on direct damage, and we can easily skill on toughness to get a good boost for ferocity. Guardians HP pool is a little low, as I mentioned above. So I usually use the trinkets/backpiece to outbalance major class weakpoints. So for that set, we should have something that gives vitality, a lot of vitality. Best way to get into stat selection is setting personal goals. Guardian's base HP is below 12k, our healing skill heals more than 8k. So 15-16k HP would be nice. That is one goal. I also know, that guardians have a very low crit rate. Our traits do not offer any crit rate boosts. As we want to use the ferocity boost, we should get at least to 50% crit chance. I know the dps deities recommend way higher scores, but we are talking non-efficient open world builds. So 50% should be fine. As it is a test-char, I will not waste ascended pieces on it. Exotic rarity should give us acceptable results.

First tryout:Full set of Knight stats (armor+trinkets+backpiece), Sentinel weapons, Superior rune of sanctuary (6). Sigils ... puh Superior Sigil of Frallity + Superior Sigil of Bloodlust.

Four-Stat-Attempt:Full set of Commander stats (armor+trinkets+backpiece), Assassin weapons, Superior rune of sanctuary (6). Sigils ... Superior Sigil of Strength + Superior Sigil of Frallity.

Weird-Stat-Attempt:Helm+Chest+Leggins = Assassin. Trinkets+Backpiece = Minstrel. Weapons = Marauder. Superior Rune of the Chronomancer (4) + Superior Rune of Altruism (2). Superior Sigil of Accuracy + Superior Sigil of Strength.Note: Guardian is one of the few characters in this game, which's healing skills scale excellent with the cursed healing-power stat. Even on the underrated sigil we have 125% increase. Which gets us very close to the 9k instant heal. With our 15k HP pool, it is nearly 2/3 instant heal. One of my favourite life-savers of the old Zelda games were the ridiculous potions, which allowed you to instnantly heal completely in no time. So this insane ability would suit to the concept.

And talking about PvE builds. The result of using google for 3 seconds:https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/780lzi/open_world_pve_builds/

I may have misphrased the question. I wasn't asking for weird combos of multiple stats, I was asking for examples of what, say, Marauder might support.

I don't see how to link to individual posts, but here's a sample answer from Illconceived Was Na in the thread I linked above that is the sort of thing I was hoping for and doesn't seem to think the question laughable:

"It really depends on your goal and the content. There are more-durable variations of Viper's (Trailblazer) & Berserker's (Marauder) that make sense for WvW. Celestial makes sense for people who don't much care about optimizing and who swap builds a lot. Griever's is benchmarked better than Viper's for Firebrand. And there are budget condi stats that are nearly as good as Viper's."

Thank you for the reddit link. As I am not in the habit of asking questions in this forum for which I have found an answer on my own I did indeed google, at length, for open world pve firebrand and Google did not see fit to give me that link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/780lzi/open_world_pve_builds/there are some great builds in this thread, like the Power Life Drain Renegade, but unfortunately the editor does not link the original build guides, which explain how and why the traits synergize with the skills and gear. Just dropping off gw2skills.net links without explanation is not going to help people become better at theorycrafting and building.Be aware, there are also some really really sad builds in there, specifically some Necro builds. Random skills thrown in, a mix between Power and Condition with full Berserker gear, named "Condi Necro" and using Signet of Power and Spite. Just... noThey have zero synergy and some decisions make no sense at all. Please ask before copying anything, criticize and if something seems strange then ask twice just to make sure.I would gladly create an "Open World builds" thread here, but there is no reason to as most people use the Reddit anyway and without a scroll by views, a "Builds" or "Open World/PVE" Sub-forum or a sticky function from the devs the thread would just be burried in a few days.

Archived