I made it to plat [Motivation For You]

Aridon.8362

Let me first say first and foremost that my goal was not to reach legendary, I believe when you want that kind of title you are reaching for something to a sort of national level, and I don't want that. A few days ago, about last week Thursday I posted on this thread that the complaints about scourge are overrated. I still stick by that, though the difference in opinion doesn't matter, I just wanted to emphasize that scourges require just as much skill to take down as any other class. Yes I acknowledge scourge is a powerful spec but it's as strong as its player. In fact I would like to further add that the matches I did lose had 2 necros in them .In fact in my last match with two plat team members they absolutely hated each other and went afk for like 3/4 of the match out of anger. So it comes down to the player.

So you may be thinking woah dude you must be fucking crazy , speaking like this on forums, well, let me explain that it hasn't been easy for me despite my accomplishment. When I got my rating I was placed in t2 silver. Yeah t2 silver. My guildies who don't even pvp that much if at all, made gold without issue, so it was a little demoralizing. I made my way into gold with a 50% win ratio which to some extent still remains true to this moment. So I get into gold I push just as everyone else does into 1400 rating. This is where things became Irate, I actually made it to 1480 rating and in one whole day managed to get pushed back down to 1336. That was like two full blown days nonstop pvping down the toilet so I felt pretty demoralized and on the verge of quitting the game. And it's a point where you question why you really want to keep going, and why you enjoy the thrill of battle so much, whether or not to keep going or give up altogether. And at one point I just remembered this one video from Balouga TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVlEoX5L7wY

And I still stick by it. I played against him a few times back in season 4 as well, and boy was that a crappy season. And if I might add anything, it is that everything in that video is something I believe is still true to this very day. So I realized my weaknesses, patched them, and made my build stronger also improved my character, and did something I never did before in PvP, and that is to respect the enemy, for in pvp that enemy will be someone you have to work with. I pressed, I also learned to better time my rotations for both my bar and in map points, and I made it to plat. If you want to know my build here it is:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAW5ensADVDhdDBOCDkCjlEC7aZFASAYNgMQZa/feQboA-jZxHQBJ8IAosLCAyKDAgHAgP2fAA

Skip this if you arent a guardian:Since the trouble seems to extend from scourges I will explain the rotation to last 1v1's without problems. The way you use this against scourge is you start off by noticing whether or not a scourge breaches on you or slowly applies condi slowly (I'm also going to assume you have your mantras up). So if the condi spam is slow you have to observe your health bar and use opening passage. you can use smite condition if you are out of charges but not this is like your emergency charge. When you get breached you basically get all the condis, and you have to use your contemplation of purity to clear all of them. At this point the necro has to wait more and more for the breach to recharge. To keep your health up make sure you time your restoring reprive and rejuvinating respite, note that healing also removes condi when you do trigger the mantra. Also when you are deciding which tome to use, use your healing tome first, then use your defense tome. When I use the healing tome I'm mostly concerned on whether or not the scourge has dropped breach on me, if he or she still hasn't, I use my mantras and occasionally my 4 skill on the tome. But when that breach hits, if my contemplation is down, I step away from the red rings and cast my 5 skill on the healing tome, if the healing tome is down for some reason, this is when I use the defense tome. Finally the only skills I use are 4 and 5, 3 if someone is putting projectile pressure on me on me on the defense tome, the 4 skill being your major asset and priority, but you must time them carefully enough so your heals and cc clear cooldowns reset.

Anyway that's all I have to say. Hate me or don't for feeling optimistic, and hey if I go back down to gold, it doesn't matter because deep down I know I have what it takes to get back into plat, and I know that you do too. Here's a pic of my details (idk why it doesn't embed).

https://imgur.com/a/cm6mwhttps://imgur.com/a/OE881

Niceeeeeeeeee man! Tyvm for your post!It's really good to see some positivity in this sea of salt. I just had a meltdown days ago about the matchmaking, but it's just because i think this is the best mmo combat system we have on the market and i just don't want this to die 'cause of such minimal things.

Balouga was the guy that make me play PvP in this game. I've used his power druid build for a while. Now i just made some adjustments on trading GS for Staff (Scourges, right?), just improvise, adapt, overcome.

When i see people talking about match manipulations, ie, i can't understand the purpose of this! You are wasting your time to get your name on a leaderboard that gives you nothing except the prestige, wich is nice, but what is this prestige if YOU know you don't deserve it? Like Balouga said on his video: it's just like in real life, we have to keep trying, if you're competitive, don't give up, but stop blaming your team, stop making the community saltier, we are all here to have fun. If you are here to feel you're better than anyone, just play single player games and enjoy your selfishness without hurting people.

I don't have the goal to reach Legend, or even Plat. Of course it would be nice, but when i hit that matchmaking button all i wish is for a fair match, some intense fights and moments of fun i know this game can deliver.

Don't need motivation, i farmed gold to plat with core teef kek.

My advice: don't look at your ratings. Just kill what you can kill, learn from mistakes and play what you enjoy. If people harass you for playing your spec, just disable chat - game is more enjoyable that way.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ThirstyWanderingZebraPoooound

I like your attitude, I have seen 400 point swings, I have won ranked 4v5's when we were down a man. This is meme wars and the first team to blink loses. Keep up the attitude you posted in that video and not the attitude in this video and you will go far.

Some of the best games I have ever played are when we were down in points and the both teams start to get really serious, I have been on both sides of 499-500 games, its a rush.

Made it to like 1490 playing Deadeye and hovered there for 2 entire week ends until i decided to switch back to Daredevil and play my Holo more.

Why i switched? Mostly because of the community, getting literally harassed during some games just for playing Deadeye made it clear that this community has only one way of thinking. Seeing games being thrown by people raging at me in chat instead of playing the game is both sad and funny at the same time.

Results? Tanked down in the 1300s lol. I just don't enjoy Daredevil mechanics much, never did.

Glad things worked out for you though, must be nice for your preferred playstyle to land in the meta hivemind. But i guess that's always been my problem in these games, i enjoy the RPG aspect very much, take a lot of time to build my characters the way i want, enjoy the storyline and such, so its not natural for me to ignore everything i enjoy from an RPG to fit into a "meta" and it heavily dampens my enjoyment of the game to do so.

But if i want to make it to Plat i have to reroll the character i played 500 hours on (i'm a fairly new player) into an half naked Human Female Daredevil to fit in.

Not sure if i care enough to do so.

@Griever.8150 said:Made it to like 1490 playing Deadeye and hovered there for 2 entire week ends until i decided to switch back to Daredevil and play my Holo more.

Why i switched? Mostly because of the community, getting literally harassed during some games just for playing Deadeye made it clear that this community has only one way of thinking. Seeing games being thrown by people raging at me in chat instead of playing the game is both sad and funny at the same time.

Results? Tanked down in the 1300s lol. I just don't enjoy Daredevil mechanics much, never did.

Glad things worked out for you though, must be nice for your preferred playstyle to land in the meta hivemind. But i guess that's always been my problem in these games, i enjoy the RPG aspect very much, take a lot of time to build my characters the way i want, enjoy the storyline and such, so its not natural for me to ignore everything i enjoy from an RPG to fit into a "meta" and it heavily dampens my enjoyment of the game to do so.

But if i want to make it to Plat i have to reroll the character i played 500 hours on (i'm a fairly new player) into an half naked Human Female Daredevil to fit in.

Not sure if i care enough to do so.

i get it what you trying to say, but you have to understand as well that you are playing in a competitive mode. People will expect you to play the best build avaible to your prefession. You can allways go to Unranked and play whatever you want, play just for fun, but if you step on Ranked, I believe you should take a little more serius, even if you dont care for win or lose, theres other 4 people on the team. Myself i had 2 matches with a core guardian playing staff and sword/shield, he was even using a couple of signets...we obviously lose the match...did we lose cause he was playing a weird build? hard to say, but we surely would have a bigger chance to win if he was playing one of the meta builds.

@Furious.2867 said:Also, a tip for making it to Plat with the least resistance is to tryhard during placements and by all means minimize your losses there.

Not necessarily. They don't hard reset the ratings from the previous season. For example, last season I got a 5/5 win/loss on my placement matches and it still put me into plat (where I was the previous season). So even if you do tryhard at the beginning, if your ranking last season was low it is unlikely to place you in a higher tier.

Some people really talk like it is all skill and no rng at all. Every match my rotation is awesome, my portal placement is almost perfect, I win almost every 1v1, etc etc. You can try as hard as you want but when you cap close at the start as a Mesmer and you see everyone dead in mid before you even capped close there is NOTHING you can do about it. You NEED luck in this game.

@FOX.3582 said:Some people really talk like it is all skill and no rng at all. Every match my rotation is awesome, my portal placement is almost perfect, I win almost every 1v1, etc etc. You can try as hard as you want but when you cap close at the start as a Mesmer and you see everyone dead in mid before you even capped close there is NOTHING you can do about it. You NEED luck in this game.

You need luck in every game that has some sort of RNG, be it team comp or amount of crits you dish in 10 swings.But in general your winrate should be 60% to progress.It took me 120 matches this season to reach legendary, taking all leavers, AFKers and "we're losing they have ZAN so what's the point of playing"ers.So just play what is comfortable to you and have a good time, thats the point of gaming.

As of now I feel like I am done with PvP, maybe game period and I don't feel like coming back. I feel like after almost 400 matches played this season and zig zagging around 1400 and 1500 rating I am finally done with guild wars. I came to the realization that a lot of this game mode is about luck, whether your teamates are power based or condi based, or the enemy team is power based or condi based, everything just feels like it's about luck. And right now power builds are really strong especially in Holosmith and a well played Deadeye or Thief, also Warrior if played well to a good degree. As a firebrand I feel incredibly weak to not be able to have a nomads based kind of amulet to help counter such kind of builds and I have a stat that I really don't need, like who wants precision on an amulet that gives healing power anyway? Again I never have any trouble 1v1 bunking a condi based build, but power trains hit a Firebrand really hard. I feel like as a Firebrand I am at the mercy of whether or not my enemy is condi or not. I have tried using Aarken's Power Firebrand build, which is also a support build, but it's not as effective in the lower ratings because some teams need that extra bunking that you can dish out because they can go down easily.

I've also grown incredibly toxic since posting this post which is something I don't want to be or stress over, and everyone and I mean EVERYONE berates each other or me when I do. I could keep trying to go up the ladder but I think I am just going to stop, I am going to find something else to enjoy IRL before my guild's prime time in WvW. I had friends that kept telling me this game mode is trash, I don't think the case is because of condi, but just the amount of skill it takes to actually kill people in pvp, which is at this point little to none, and I can no longer stand for it. Peace out.

@Malafaia.8903 said:

When i see people talking about match manipulations, ie, i can't understand the purpose of this! You are wasting your time to get your name on a leaderboard that gives you nothing except the prestige, wich is nice, but what is this prestige if YOU know you don't deserve it? Like Balouga said on his video: it's just like in real life, we have to keep trying, if you're competitive, don't give up, but stop blaming your team, stop making the community saltier, we are all here to have fun. If you are here to feel you're better than anyone, just play single player games and enjoy your selfishness without hurting people.

+1 wish everyone would see the wisdom in this - and would add part of the fun of gaming is self-improvement

This season I'm doing a 70-point swing from 1520 down to 1450, then back up again... the up-down cycle repeats itself virtually every week. There's a chance I'll end the season in plat, but I don't envision easily cracking 1550 and staying up there for long.

I just resent that there's no reward for trying really hard to salvage a clear loss. What really stings are the 19-point losses when as a bunker druid I've done over 40% of my team's damage, offense, and defense. Even being able to shave 2-3 points off that loss would be greatly appreciated.

There's no balance in the pvp meta and grinding your face off trying to get lucky (as in a team of ppl who know what they are doing) is terrible and a complete waste of your time.

Most games I've played I've found people who don't know what they are doing at all and this is not in bronze tier. Furthermore the imbalanced classes are hugely prevalent and there's no skill involved in the pvp matches.

There's no reason to play pvp in gw2 and I'd advise everyone to not bother as it would be a huge waste of time for them. Do something more enjoyable and productive with your time.

Yeah,ive given up myself too. 4 Season long i stuck between 1500 and 1400. Always played mesmer and win most 1 vs 1, i go decap when the thiefs are deciding to fight in the middle or so...but yeah,its an endless cycle. You win 5 times...just to lose once and get back to where you startet 5 matches ago. Its not fun anymore. So im sticking to my matches for the dailies and thats it. Way to much luck involved becoming "good". If your teammates are shite then you cant do anything about. Gw2 pvp isnt skillbased...its purely luck getting competent teammates.

It's just number of games played imo. I went away for close to 1 year, started season in gold, went down to high silver cause I played my alt to get my legendary back piece. Now I'm in plat . To be honest I did not see an improvement of teammates or opponents from high silver to low plat. Seems the time of day have more to do with who you team up with and who you fight. It's pretty much 50/50 win/loss with the difference been the few games where I fight with and against just god awful players, I can carry my team to win by wining 1 v 2 and 1 v 3s in those matches and those are the ones that counts for all the mmr gains I had.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:This season I'm doing a 70-point swing from 1520 down to 1450, then back up again... the up-down cycle repeats itself virtually every week. There's a chance I'll end the season in plat, but I don't envision easily cracking 1550 and staying up there for long.

I just resent that there's no reward for trying really hard to salvage a clear loss. What really stings are the 19-point losses when as a bunker druid I've done over 40% of my team's damage, offense, and defense. Even being able to shave 2-3 points off that loss would be greatly appreciated.

the final states means nothing atm which is a shame. if you do most of the dmg it also mean it too you too long to kill someone. i saw warrior getting best healing (while my build is healer) as he fought too long on a point 1v1 so more healing output than me as a healer on my team which did very well to kill the enemies faster.

if the final state were improved it could mean something ans even to our progression on the ladder

Archived