Newish to WvW

Oh Griffo.3148

Hey guys, i'm fairly new to WvW (Less than rank 100). Just wanting to get some good advice on a good way to get involved. I have a fully leveled and berserker geared necro and a fully leveled and marauder geared guardian. When i've been playing, i've mainly been running around in zergs, but find it difficult to fight anybody in small groups etc. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Concerning your guardian, with a full marauder you can eventually play a Roaming medi trapper.https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_Meditrapper_roamerYour goal will be mainly to either cap/defend camp and sentry or evolving around a zerg to take down valuable targets that are out of position.

If you want a meta build to evolve in small scale or zerg you will either need a Celestial or a Minstrel build to go Firebrand Frontline/Support.

Players that run in small groups generally run different builds than what you would find appropriate for zerging. They are more like what you would find used in PvP. If you want to get better in small fights, I would recommend practicing some PvP. This will give you good experience with learning classes, and especially with how to counter them, and their strengths and weaknesses etc.

There are certain things you will pick up over time. Like prioritizing and focusing specific targets over others. Using your surroundings to your advantage. Swapping skills out as needed. Knowing how to watch a map like looking for dots, ri timers to give you an idea of where and how far a group might be, seeing swords, looking for missing sentry flags/caravans etc.

One of the best ways to learn is to join a guild. Most wvw guilds have their own builds. You can also check out a lot of guides online. Check out sites like Metabattle.com to give you an idea, and look at videos on YouTube. Also make use of a build calculator to play around with numbers when you feel comfortable enough to make your own build.

Another good way to learn is, yes to follow the group. Hop into the servers communications like TeamSpeak or discord. Familiarize yourself with the terrain, lingo and terms used for objectives, etc. There are many things you want to pay attention to. Like how and where to place siege.

My personal advice is not to run full glass when you are new. Good luck to you.

@Oh Griffo.3148 said:Hey guys, i'm fairly new to WvW (Less than rank 100). Just wanting to get some good advice on a good way to get involved. I have a fully leveled and berserker geared necro and a fully leveled and marauder geared guardian. When i've been playing, i've mainly been running around in zergs, but find it difficult to fight anybody in small groups etc. Any advice would be appreciated :)

If you don't have the expac, you can forget it.

@Oh Griffo.3148 said:Hey guys, i'm fairly new to WvW (Less than rank 100). Just wanting to get some good advice on a good way to get involved. I have a fully leveled and berserker geared necro and a fully leveled and marauder geared guardian. When i've been playing, i've mainly been running around in zergs, but find it difficult to fight anybody in small groups etc. Any advice would be appreciated :)

-Don't run glass cannons unless you are roaming and can survive with that gear-I don't recommend using an external meta build, usually every server or server guild uses different builds and strategies, and most of those builds are also really different from pve-Joining a guild is a good way to adapt and learn how to play on an organized squad-If you don't have much gold, building cele on a class like core guardian/elementalist and maybe some others is a great way to test different playstyles as a dps/healer/etc. Defining your preferred playstyle helps a lot when you gotta end up choosing a build.-Core classes are still ok as long as the squad composition can back you up and/or you also provide something to it. The most clear example is the base guardian, which is still an amazing tanky support. Some might say that the firebrand can outshine it, but for a more simplistic playstyle, core guard is a hell of a lot more friendly with new players.

Basically, it's about testing and finding a way to build your current classes into the needs of the squad, for that guilds and communication in a between them is pretty much the foundation of WvW. (Unless you are on a 74983748395 blob that could stomp a server with 15 people pressing 1-1-1, but that's another matter)

Archived