Living World - Daybreak trailer

Bry.8140

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it seems a new map and not a re-design of an existing (recently released) map. That is good.To speculate about the location. I do not expect this map as big as the PoF map. So my first bet would be west of riverlands.Some things I noted: You see a vaabian themed building with an observatory on top. Krait cages hanging from high cliffs. A big hallway. A significant Square. A harbor with lots of buildings. I would not expect such a significant harbor so close to Amoon. I wouldn't be surprised if it is in Istan. Maybe even Spamadan.

@Erasculio.2914 said:They really didn't have to begin the trailer pushing on us the very poor story point of "did you think the Six Gods were silent because we were gone? Nah, just kidding! We'll be gone from now on. kthb!". :/

Just because humans worshipped them, doesn't make them gods. Bacon is more worthy of being worshipped than those aliens.

Who is that guy whom Rytlock talks to ? The very one that says "Aurene ?!" I truly hope he isn't. We never see the guy in PoF game, as far as I know, yet he seems to take a central part in the whole story, as we also saw him in PoF trailer.

Ok. Straight and bold.

Is that guy supposed to be the hero, aka the Player's Character ? If so, what about players who chose another gender or another race ?

If so, how am I supposed to feel involved in the whole story if I'm watching someone else live the story in the trailers ? Are ANet's storytellers so far away from players that they're now telling their own stories for themselves ? Are the players bound to only be watchers of the whole plot ?

@ThomasC.1056 said:Who is that guy whom Rytlock talks to ? The very one that says "Aurene ?!" I truly hope he isn't. We never see the guy in PoF game, as far as I know, yet he seems to take a central part in the whole story, as we also saw him in PoF trailer.

Ok. Straight and bold.

Is that guy supposed to be the hero, aka the Player's Character ? If so, what about players who chose another gender or another race ?

If so, how am I supposed to feel involved in the whole story if I'm watching someone else live the story in the trailers ? Are ANet's storytellers so far away from players that they're now telling their own stories for themselves ? Are the players bound to only be watchers of the whole plot ?

Likely just a placeholder for us. Our hero is both "the" hero and a grand heroic adventurer depending on the context. There isn't anyway the trailer could actually show us, so they prob show a random Character in our place.

@ThomasC.1056 said:Who is that guy whom Rytlock talks to ? The very one that says "Aurene ?!" I truly hope he isn't. We never see the guy in PoF game, as far as I know, yet he seems to take a central part in the whole story, as we also saw him in PoF trailer.

Ok. Straight and bold.

You try designing a character that represents all races, all professions, all choices and both sexes at the same time. I'm sure anet would love to hear about this omni character.

In the meantime i just mentally replace them with my main.

@Shirlias.8104 said:I don't really like to be the main character tbh.I would have prefered to be part of a large crew, working with the name ones.

The urge of being the main character is imho ruining part onsef the story and dialogues.

Commander, to me!We had that opportunity in Personal Story. Caused so much outcry that ANet changed the direction and made our character the focus for all future installments. And then murdered Trahearne just so people won't be upset over him hogging the "leader of the Pact" spot, replacing him with Logan and changing the position into desk job one.

@Randulf.7614 said:

Ok. Straight and bold.

Is that guy supposed to be the hero, aka the
Player's Character
? If so, what about players who chose another gender or another race ?

If so, how am I supposed to feel involved in the whole story if I'm watching
someone else
live the story in the trailers ?
Are ANet's storytellers so far away from players that they're now telling
their own
stories for
themselves
? Are the players bound to only be watchers of the whole plot ?

Likely just a placeholder for us. Our hero is both "the" hero and a grand heroic adventurer depending on the context. There isn't anyway the trailer could actually show us, so they prob show a random Character in our place.

Ok. Straight and bold.

Player's Character

someone else
their own
stories for
themselves

You try designing a character that represents all races, all professions, all choices and both sexes at the same time. I'm sure anet would love to hear about this omni character.

Don't ask impossible things. They can't portrait each and every possibility, and I'm not asking that.

As far as I remember, in previous trailers, they never impersonated the main character in such an obvious and univocal way. Previously, I saw them :

• Use a small pack of people, which is fine because players can see them as "random generic characters following the crew", as Ardid said,
  • Make known NPC's (Rytlock e.g.) talk without him being on screen (transitions, landscapes, black screens...), so that players can figure the Charr is talking to them
  • Use the first person view in situations where the PC was supposed to be there.

I'm sure there're plenty of other ways to let the viewer know that the PC is involved, without using a placeholder. I don't want to "mentally switch the placeholder with my main". I'm not watching a movie and dreaming I'm Gandalf the White. I'm playing a Role Playing Game, and I'm supposed to be the main character in it (or whatever other role can be). That guy isn't my character. How am I supposed to feel like things are made for me as a player (who said "customer" ?) ? Then again, how am I supposed to feel involved ?

There're things that I can understand and cope with because it's a MMORPG and I'm an adult. But this ! Using a placeholder in trailers ! It's a path that I fondly disagree with. What will be next ? Devs playing the whole new chapter on youtube while I'm watching ? A movie release ? Guild Wars 2 living story on Netflix ?

It can be made without a placeholder. So please get rid of that nonsense, work your videos so that the player feels involved and in the center of the story.

@ThomasC.1056 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Ok. Straight and bold.

Player's Character

someone else
their own
stories for
themselves

Ok. Straight and bold.

Player's Character

someone else
their own
stories for
themselves

Don't ask impossible things. They can't portrait each and every possibility, and I'm not asking that.

As far as I remember, in previous trailers, they
never
impersonated the main character in such an obvious and univocal way. Previously, I saw them :
  • Use a small pack of people, which is fine because players can see them as "random generic characters following the crew", as Ardid said,
  • Make known NPC's (Rytlock e.g.) talk without him being on screen (transitions, landscapes, black screens...), so that players can figure the Charr is talking to them
  • Use the first person view in situations where the PC was supposed to be there.

I'm sure there're plenty of other ways to let the viewer know that the PC is involved, without using a placeholder. I don't want to "mentally switch the placeholder with my main". I'm not watching a movie and dreaming I'm Gandalf the White. I'm playing a Role Playing Game, and I'm supposed to be the main character in it (or whatever other role can be). That guy isn't
my
character. How am I supposed to feel like things are made for me as a player (who said "customer" ?) ? Then again, how am I supposed to feel involved ?

There're things that I can understand and cope with because it's a MMORPG and I'm an adult. But this ! Using a placeholder in trailers ! It's a path that I fondly disagree with. What will be next ? Devs playing the whole new chapter on youtube while I'm watching ? A movie release ? Guild Wars 2 living story on Netflix ?

It can be made without a placeholder. So please get rid of that nonsense, work your videos so that the player feels involved and in the center of the story.

It's a trailer, is it really necessary to bust their balls over it?

@DarcShriek.5829 said:

@ThomasC.1056 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Ok. Straight and bold.

Player's Character

someone else
their own
stories for
themselves

Ok. Straight and bold.

Player's Character

someone else
their own
stories for
themselves

never
impersonated the main character in such an obvious and univocal way. Previously, I saw them :

I'm sure there're plenty of other ways to let the viewer know that the PC is involved, without using a placeholder. I don't want to "mentally switch the placeholder with my main". I'm not watching a movie and dreaming I'm Gandalf the White. I'm playing a Role Playing Game, and I'm supposed to be the main character in it (or whatever other role can be). That guy isn't
my
character. How am I supposed to feel like things are made for me as a player (who said "customer" ?) ? Then again, how am I supposed to feel involved ?

It's a trailer, is it really necessary to bust their kitten over it?

Of course ! I'm supposed to be hyped. That's what a trailer is made for ! I'm supposed to be eager to log my character in, and go see Rytlock, share his hopes that Aurene still knows who her friends are, and watch the plot unveil as my character lives the whole story !

Right now, I'm no really hyped, because I saw Rytlock talk to some random guy that I don't know, about business that my character is supposed to be concerned about.

@ThomasC.1056 said:

@DarcShriek.5829 said:

@ThomasC.1056 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Ok. Straight and bold.

Player's Character

someone else
their own
stories for
themselves

Ok. Straight and bold.

Player's Character

someone else
their own
stories for
themselves

never

my

It's a trailer, is it really necessary to bust their kitten over it?

Of course ! I'm supposed to be hyped. That's what a trailer is made for ! I'm supposed to be eager to log my character in, and go see Rytlock, share his hopes that Aurene still knows who her friends are, and watch the plot unveil as my character lives the whole story !

Right now, I'm no really hyped, because I saw Rytlock talk to some guy that I don't know about business that my character is supposed to be concerned about.

I think some people put too many expectations in trailers.

Archived