Engineer Flamethrower — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Engineer Flamethrower

Ghos.1326Ghos.1326 Member ✭✭✭

I really feel this kit needs some kind of damage boost. It really has no place anywhere other than PvE, and it even barely fits there. Maybe just % damage boosts across the board for all the skills on this kit? I kind of like the duality of the power/condi feel it has, power being deeply embedded into the auto attack skill of this kit, and more the condi side on the other skills, but I really feel this kit underperforms as a whole.
Also, maybe even rework the kit's skill 2 and skill 4. Skill 2 just feels clunky overall and not very good to utilize in many situations, and skill 4 should be a ring of fire with a fire field.
A power boost/rework to this kit, as long as a change to how Mass Momentum performs would really put this kit in a good place to perform how, I believe, it should.
Any devs reading please give this thought? Some feedback would really be appreciated, I've inquired about this a few times, but nobody from the ArenaNet team really answered. Just some feedback from this thought would be much appreciated.
And please, others, be respectul here, this is not a complaining thread, just an inquiry thread, hopefully to get the response of someone on the other side who might be reading.
Thanks.

The greatest enemy to improvement, is ignorance. But the desire to learn will cast ignorance into the fire.

Comments

• Ghos.1326Ghos.1326 Member ✭✭✭

@Lunateric.3708 said:
    The only thing I'd like for FT kit is for the napalm ball to not need a second key press to detonate and act as phoenix on ele's scepter does, rest is fine for me.

Yeah that would be cool. I was even thinking, each of the other skills would augment the auto attack when pressed, and go on a cooldown once the augmented auto attack was used, would make for some interesting gameplay. I dunno, something needs to be done with the ft, it just doesn't do the damage it should. But yeah, blow up on contact and hit any unlucky guy who happens to be around the target, thumbs up for that.

The greatest enemy to improvement, is ignorance. But the desire to learn will cast ignorance into the fire.

Or even the skill 5 can be a smoke field instead of an on proc blind to nearby people, that could last like 3-4 seconds or something. I don't know, throwing out ideas.

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2017

If you can't get good damage from this weapon, you simply aren't working hard enough with it or the right stats. It's not the kind of build you slap Zerkers on and press 1. I has a pretty unique role if you are going to camp it ... the trait Juggernaut is actually quite fitting to the builds you can create around it. If you got the gold, I suggest you try something hybrid, centered around Might stacking/duration. You will find the damage you are missing.

That being said, if you are looking for 'meta' level damage, you're going to have to submit to the original class concept of swapping kits, etc... though I haven't given HOlo it's fair shake yet to see if that still holds true.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• "Swapping kits"

Completely forgetting that some of the kits are just plain better than the others damage wise.

• Chaith.8256Chaith.8256 Member ✭✭✭✭

Engi cannot camp kits, you have to rotate all the useful abilities from each set to have any damage output.

Juggernaut, and camping Flamethrower is for open world PvE, it seems.

Flamethrower is best as a pure condition build in PvP. Toolbelt burst, Air Blast, Napalm on down bodies.

twitch.tv/chaithh
    Forum Lord Chaith

Yeah, I've been doing some experimenting with it. It works real well with high crit chance, currently testing some builds. I just think it is lacking overall, and it feels a little clunky. But, I could be wrong, I am going to continue to test some things out with it.

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Lunateric.3708 said:
    The only thing I'd like for FT kit is for the napalm ball to not need a second key press to detonate and act as phoenix on ele's scepter does, rest is fine for me.

I actually like to position myself so the fire ball crosses the most possible enemies before exploding it manually on the last foe in the row.

• Chaith.8256Chaith.8256 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ghos.1326 said:
    Yeah, I've been doing some experimenting with it. It works real well with high crit chance, currently testing some builds. I just think it is lacking overall, and it feels a little clunky. But, I could be wrong, I am going to continue to test some things out with it.

If you try and centre a build around one Kit alone, no perfect stat distribution will fix the nagging feeling that the build is lacking. Engineer kits and weapons are all sub-par by design, as we have to maximize multiple skill bars at once to achieve equal results. Scrapper Hammer and Photon Forge are the exceptions to this rule. I'd say that Grenade Kit is the closest to being viable on its own, but it takes skill to land all projectiles.

twitch.tv/chaithh
    Forum Lord Chaith

• Are.1326Are.1326 Member ✭✭

Ever since they swapped the focus of flamethrower from power to condi, the kit have had one big problem; It want both Juggernaut and Incideary powder, but the two traits are compeating with eachother as grandmaster traits in firearms. If we say Juggernaut moved to inventions or alchemy, the kit would have a better chance in pvp formats.

It would still need some form of damage reduction against retaliation tho.

@Are.1326 said:
    Ever since they swapped the focus of flamethrower from power to condi, the kit have had one big problem; It want both Juggernaut and Incideary powder, but the two traits are compeating with eachother as grandmaster traits in firearms. If we say Juggernaut moved to inventions or alchemy, the kit would have a better chance in pvp formats.

It would still need some form of damage reduction against retaliation tho.

Exactly. juggernaut kind of promotes more of a power orientated build foundation, yet only 1 skill on the flamethrower deals power damage and it's sub-par compared to other kits in the engi's arsenal. Though, admittedly, elixir gun auto is also fairly underpowered, but I can see why, as it's more supportive. Then there is incendiary ammo, great for adding some good burn damage to crit hits, but doesn't do much for the flamethrower's auto, though the high crit chance can proc it almost all the time. But all in all, juggernaut is a little obsolete in pvp. Which is a shame, because I like build diversity, and I really like the flamethrower, and I also love pvp. I dunno, hard to explain without trying to sound like an kitten or a complainer, not really complaining, just expressing some ideas that would really make the flamethrower interesting, I think it has a lot of potential to be a fully hybrid kit in terms of burning and power damages. I've always played engi, so I am always theory crafting things for the engi. Funny, I actually got to plat, almost legend, using a power flamethrower build last season, before PoF came out. then all my HoT builds, including the scrapper power hammer meta build, became obsolete. I just want to see more overall balance, build diversity, and more attention on the engi side. Engi's are kinda forgotten, yet you don't really see many of us talking about it because we're used to it, while other professions shine and still get buffed more while engi just gets pooped on.

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Ghos.1326 said:

If you try and centre a build around one Kit alone, no perfect stat distribution will fix the nagging feeling that the build is lacking. Engineer kits and weapons are all sub-par by design, as we have to maximize multiple skill bars at once to achieve equal results. Scrapper Hammer and Photon Forge are the exceptions to this rule. I'd say that Grenade Kit is the closest to being viable on its own, but it takes skill to land all projectiles.

To be fair, the OP isn't asking for meta level performance from what I can tell. What you say is completely true if someone is looking for a high performance raid-capable build. I'm not sure that's what the OP was looking for.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.