Tomes of Knowledge

sweetrules.8359

I was wondering why we seem to get so many of these in WvW when we can't use them for WvW levels or trade them in for anything. And while I have used some for when I make a new character, that happens extremely infrequently in comparison, and I always end up with more anyway. And unlike some people who have been playing much longer than I have, they have stacks upon stacks of these and nothing to do with them. I was wondering if anet had considered adding in an option to trade them for something more useful to WvW players. Whether it be the WvW material, one of the currencies, or just WvW experience. I'm not saying get rid of them entirely, because I think it can be useful for newer players to get them, but for people who have been playing for a couple or so years, it just gets out of hand.

@sweetrules.8359 said:I was wondering why we seem to get so many of these in WvW when we can't use them for WvW levels or trade them in for anything.

The original intention was to enable WvWers to level-up alts without having to go to PvE. It takes about 10 full reward tracks or 78 WvW ranks (or more likely, a combination of the two).

Like a lot of rewards introduced 2-5 years ago, veterans now feel these aren't all that valuable (and that's true... for the veterans), while newer players can't get enough. It's nearly impossible to balance each reward type so it feels comparably valuable to all players for all times and all occasions. It's inevitable that some rewards will start to feel worthless.

And that really ought to be fine for us all. We should be okay with a variety of rewards, as long as enough of them are worth something to us. Arguably, ANet's succeeded at that best for raids and fractals, Silverwastes, HoT metas. PvP & WvW rewards have gotten major boosts in more recent times. And dungeons are technically more valuable now than they were before HoT, but dungeon fans are often convinced otherwise (despite evidence). In other words, even when the rewards are good, sometimes we players refuse to see it that way.

I don't understand how allowing us to trade them in for a few badges of honor or something so that they aren't clogging inventory/bank space would harm new players? I said not to take them out entirely because I Know they have a value for newer players. I'm just saying that letting them sit around and be entirely useless to clog inventory begs the question of what to do with them? And no, spirit shards aren't a good answer, considering you get plenty of those already The only thing they should add as QoL for spirit shards is consume all. Since they already added consume all to multiple other things. Unless you are constantly crafting and Mystic forging them all away every day. I have nearly 3.8k of them and unless I start mass crafting, I'm probably not even gonna dent that number as it keeps rising.

I'm happy with WvW rewards though. Tomes are the only real issue I think is left with WvW when it comes to loot.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

Like a lot of rewards introduced 2-5 years ago, veterans now feel these aren't all that valuable (and that's true... for the veterans), while newer players can't get enough.

About a year ago I was trying to create all the professions on an alt account so I could do the HOT elites, I think I was missing 3 of the 9 professions.

I have stacks of tomes on my main account, but only had a few tomes on this alt (and it's 4 years old :)). Anyway, I gained enough tomes in wvw to finish leveling those professions I was missing to 80, but it was painful and slightly sad knowing I, as a player had earmed plenty of extra tomes (on my main) but couldn't give them to my alt.

I don't need the extra on any account now, spirit shards are nice, but other options for usage would be nice also.

Archived