I Want Alternatives to Raiding

Ordin.9047

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fractals, Dungeons, WvW, PvP, World Bosses, Achievements and Collections.There you go, alternatives.Now if you want easier content with the same level rewards, that makes no sense does it?

An easy mode with less rewards (like only Legendary Insights for last boss, and less Magnetite shards) could be a way to introduce people into raids.

But, even though i'm in no way someone that could be identified as a Raider (although my guild are starting to get into the content, early as you can see), i don't think it's worth discussing other alternatives for raids.

Are you seriously comparing just 1 Living Story release to all 4 raid wings released so far? Or are you suggesting you can finish the entire living story in an hour? Either way it's wildly inaccurate, but some clarification would be helpful.

I also find it amusing that you're suggesting that if you don't raid there's nothing to do in the game, when the main reason I've never even tried raiding is that I have too much other stuff to do. Same reason I don't play much PvP or WvW. I've just recently finished the PoF storyline and started on the collections to get the griffon, I also want to do map completion on all the PoF maps and some of the achievements, and there's no way I'm going to finish that before the new Living Story starts. There's also dozens of achievements and other things I haven't finished from HoT and even the base game.

Obviously it depends a lot on how much time you have to play, and what you do when you are playing. I've never finished a living story release in an hour because I spend too long talking to all the NPCs and exploring the map (yes even within instances). But I can't see myself ever reaching the point where I feel like I have nothing to do in this game except raid or grind.

I personally think there is so much to do too. I constantly say to myself that I want to progress my other characters but I just don't find the time to do it. I don't do Raids because I feel like it takes a fair amount of "time" commitment to the game in order to have the gear and finding the right group and so on, which I don't have. So I do PvP and achievements. I'm still working on my first Legendary. I always put stuff on hold coz I find new stuff that I must have like the griffon at the moment.

Unless you have a lot of gaming time and have already finished everything, I feel that as a casual gamer, you should have lots of stuff you can choose to do.

@Ordin.9047 said:Moving title contents here: Please give the 80% of us who don't raid more to do than

An hour worth of living story and a bunch of grind.

First of all, I think a lot more than 80% of the game don't raid, or at least hardly every raid. That said, it's a valid content release for people who like harder content who bought the game and want that content. Apparently it's not a large team working on it, and it fills a niche, which is part of a developer's job. If the niche is too small, raids will eventually stop being made.

But I don't think taking the five people off the raid team is suddenly going to make you thousands of dollars.

For my money, though, I'd have preferred new dungeons to raids.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Ordin.9047 said:Moving title contents here: Please give the 80% of us who don't raid more to do than

First of all, I think a lot more than 80% of the game don't raid, or at least hardly every raid. That said, it's a valid content release for people who like harder content who bought the game and want that content. Apparently it's not a large team working on it, and it fills a niche, which is part of a developer's job. If the niche is too small, raids will eventually stop being made.

But I don't think taking the five people off the raid team is suddenly going to make you thousands of dollars.

For my money, though, I'd have preferred new dungeons to raids.

agree with all if this, raiders deserve content too as long as the investment is not unpoportional (and it seems reasonable at the moment). The only other potential problem is classes getting screwed over in the rest of the game by niave developers trying to balance around the rotation based play that you get in raids.

I'm not sure what you're looking for. The release will include a fractal for repeatable and rewarding content, achievements, a new map. Not good enough?

If you play enough to burn through content at such a high speed that you feel you have nothing left to do, maybe it's time to indeed invest yourself into raiding. Content release rate is fine. Take a break if you feel like it, and come back in a month or two. The good thing about GW2 is that you don't loose relevancy as expacs and patches get released.

@Myhr.9108 said:If you play enough to burn through content at such a high speed that you feel you have nothing left to do, maybe it's time to indeed invest yourself into raiding. Content release rate is fine. Take a break if you feel like it, and come back in a month or two. The good thing about GW2 is that you don't loose relevancy as expacs and patches get released.

Yes and no.

The story as far as length goes for chapter based releases is incredibly short. Most of this is due to the resources spent in conjunction with building a new zone for each release because the chapter has to be contained to that area. If Anet's team wanted to have a longer story it would come at the cost of this specifically and have us in zones we're used to with minor or temporary story instances like LS 1/2.

That said raids are in a good spot and people should do them.

Each LS3 has a massive, immersive JP for the most part. Each one has a new zone, new mechanics, fun mastery points or skills. New gear, skins, and story. Achievements that usually take a decent to a long period of time.I'm impressed that the raids have as much content, story, and side things to do.I'd prefer more balance time on classes.

@TexZero.7910 said:

The story as far as length goes for chapter based releases is incredibly short. Most of this is due to the resources spent in conjunction with building a new zone for each release because the chapter has to be contained to that area. If Anet's team wanted to have a longer story it would come at the cost of this specifically and have us in zones we're used to with minor or temporary story instances like LS 1/2.

That said raids are in a good spot and people should do them.

Well, tying the story to the new zone is Arena-net's choice, but it can be discussed. After all, in previous Living story releases, they did made story instances that happened in older areas, like Precocious Aurene and things like that. In fact, I think part of why people find the story releases to be short is because they want more dialogue and character interactions, when Arena-net always tries to craft new instances. I guess they have much more developing power than writing power in their team, and well, they do know how to make fantastic-looking zones and instances, imho.

As for raiding, yeaaaaaah, to each their own...It's ok to have them, but "been there, done that" in others MMOs. It's a mindset, an investment, an experience. I honestly think the hardest part in raiding will always be finding 9 other people willing to block one or two evenings each week for 2-3 hours non-stop, and this for a period of several months, aka, it's an irl-organisation challenge, and most people can't or don't want to invest themselves that much, it's just how it is.

There is honestly so much to do in GW2 I get a wee bit despondent at times cause I don't know where to start, Dungeons, Fractals, Raids, Story, Map Complete, Living Story, Farming & crafting, creating new alts, try looking in your achievements panel I found a lot of things to do in there that I had not noticed early on. Dig deeper you will find there is tonnes of stuff to do, what i actually wish for is for a legendary armour to be available that is earned through real PVE not WVW, PVP or Raids.

@MarkoNS.3261 said:raids are supposed to be hard content, if you cant do them tough. but if you invest some effort you will fast see that raids are really easy and a joke honestly. Also giving raid rewards for players who cant clear raids ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Sometimes I wonder if the hypocrisy is just a fabricated in-joke, or if people actually can't see it when they post.

I've got to say, I really wish they would keep raids just like they are as far as difficulty and coordination, and mechanics, but make them 5 man. 10 is too much scheduling on the back end.

@Opopanax.1803 said:

I've got to say, I really wish they would keep raids just like they are as far as difficulty and coordination, and mechanics, but make them 5 man. 10 is too much scheduling on the back end.

Precisely why I don't raid anymore.

@Opopanax.1803 said:

those are called fractals. more specifically CM's & 98-100

@Kyban.4031 said:

I'm not sure what you're looking for. The release will include a fractal for repeatable and rewarding content, achievements, a new map. Not good enough?

If it's another raid-like fractal like the previous ones, then no, not good enough, as it's aimed at the same general group of people as raids. There needs to be some instanced content in between those two extremes.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Kyban.4031 said:

If it's another raid-like fractal like the previous ones, then no, not good enough, as it's aimed at the same general group of people as raids. There needs to be some instanced content in between those two extremes.

So you just want to stack mobs with no mechanics and call it a day?

What do you mean? We'll probably get:

• A new map
  • A new living story chapter
  • New achievements
  • New collections
  • A new legendary weapon
  • A new fractal
  • A new raid wingYou'll have plenty to do even if you're not raiding, you can't pretend to not have an area of a content for other players if you don't like it.Get over it.

Archived