Given purchase time for 2000+ gem items

Lambent.6375

I noticed the Reforged Mount is already being removed next week, and it was just put up on Nov 7th.

I don't pay much attention to the gem store, and I'm not sure if this is the norm for items in this price range, but can we be given more time to purchase similarly priced items in the future?

11/25/17 Edit: Adding some things I posted below to the OP/

I buy most of my gems with cash because I don't have the ability or resources to obtain large amounts of gold.

Earlier in the month I purchased $45 worth of gems to purchase some other gem store items, despite me having a $20 a month gem store budget. So I was going to wait until next month to get the mount. (not because a lack of cash, just controlling my spending) I just made this thread with the hopes that maybe we will be given more time to purchase items like these in the future, not asking for a particular extension on this specific item.

As far as I've seen there is no connection between how much an item costs and how long it's available. Some very cheap items are available for just a few days and others are up for months, same with expensive ones.

I can see the logic in asking for more expensive items to be kept up for longer - people may need time after seeing it and deciding they want it to save up the money, even if that just means waiting for their next pay check. But I can also see the logic for Anet in limiting the time it's available - firstly it makes it harder for people to convert gems to gold to buy it and secondly it limits how long you have to think about it. Both of which combine to increase the chance that some people will pay real money to get it when they may not otherwise. It's not the nicest sales tactic but it is a very effective one and surprisingly common. There's whole businesses built around it (pop-up shops for example).

It's unlikely they're going to extend the deadline now, but the mount will almost certainly be sold again at some point in the future. It would be a huge waste of effort for them to make it and then only sell it for one short period.

@Ameepa.6793 said:You can also gather and save up some gems in advance so you have the gems ready when an item you want appears. You don't have to wait until item comes to start farming or buying them. :)

Gems are not going to rot and there is always going to come SOMETHING you want.

I generally have to pay cash for gems since I currently don't have a lot of gold, unless I'm making up a small 200-400 gem difference.

I've already gone over my budget for gw2 this month so I was waiting until next month. ($20, and I've spent more than that this month)

I can afford it, but I limit myself so I don't get carried away with spending.

If you think you could trust yourself to stick to it maybe you could 'loan' yourself the extra money? Spend another $20 this month, and then nothing next month? Or skip something else non-essential like a movie or buying lunch or something?

(Although that's coming from the perspective of someone who gave up having dedicated budgets for different hobbies years ago. I just have money for essentials, savings and then money to spend on whatever because otherwise trying to split it up got too complicated.)

You could do without it though, putting personal preference aside, 2000 gems I honestly think you have to be bonkers to 1) want to pay that and 2) to think anyone would think it’s worth that which is about $/€23.

Chances are it’ll either come back later or come back reduced. You may even decide you liked another skin in that time more and no longer care about the reformed skin. In which case you’d save a lot not getting it.

@Danikat.8537 said:If you think you could trust yourself to stick to it maybe you could 'loan' yourself the extra money? Spend another $20 this month, and then nothing next month? Or skip something else non-essential like a movie or buying lunch or something?

(Although that's coming from the perspective of someone who gave up having dedicated budgets for different hobbies years ago. I just have money for essentials, savings and then money to spend on whatever because otherwise trying to split it up got too complicated.)

It's okay, that's what I do normally, but I've already spent $45 this month. I've already resigned myself to not getting the mount for the time being, I was just making this thread in the hopes that they will extend the in store dates the next time high price gem store items go up.> @apharma.3741 said:

You could do without it though, putting personal preference aside, 2000 gems I honestly think you have to be bonkers to 1) want to pay that and 2) to think anyone would think it’s worth that which is about $/€23.

Chances are it’ll either come back later or come back reduced. You may even decide you liked another skin in that time more and no longer care about the reformed skin. In which case you’d save a lot not getting it.

I think it's a bit pricey, but I wasn't that bothered by it because I've experienced worse in other games, and the mount has footprint effects, and animations, so in my head I was able to justify it. It's basically on the level of a mount legendary looks wise. And yeah, there might be more custom mounts that I might like better in the future.

@Ameepa.6793 said:You can also gather and save up some gems in advance so you have the gems ready when an item you want appears. You don't have to wait until item comes to start farming or buying them. :)

Gems are not going to rot and there is always going to come SOMETHING you want.

Hey, stop with that whole being reasonable thing....this is the internet.

@sorudo.9054 said:some ppl have to wait for their payday to come, removing an item that expensive within 2 weeks is not reasonable.i would say a month is enough time, IMO removing items is already not a good idea but if they have to give it time.

I would consider it helpful..... This is more of philosophical belief, but I've at least considered it fiscally practical..... If you can't scrounge up enough disposable income on short notice, then its not disposable income. In which case, you need to shift your budgeting practices, and make sure you always keep an accurate perception of what your money situation is at. Then start being more forward thinking, learn how to shift money around without it putting you at risk. Have 2 entertainment budgets, one for impulse buys (and capped low so you're not going overboard), and another for bigger ticket purchases. If you can avoid impulse buys for the month/week/whatever, roll it over into the other pool for better opportunities. Its the same concept as saving gold for a Crafting project while still being able to afford consumables for raids.... handle it well, and you're getting set back everytime something happens.

I will never by a mount skin for 2000 gems, that's way too much for a jackel with no tail and a new head. As for come and go well that's how the gem store operates. I lept on the 9600 bulk 30 mount ticket discount, because I had previewed the skins and knew I wanted quite a few and because I like them diverse I might as well just get it out of the way with a 2400 gem discount. So yea the gem store is basically this way.

@Malediktus.9250 said:It is way overpriced anyway for a jackal skin. Jackal skins are basically obsolete unless you need to use a sand portal for some reason.

The Jackal is in no way obsolete.

@"Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921" said:I will never by a mount skin for 2000 gems, that's way too much for a jackel with no tail and a new head. As for come and go well that's how the gem store operates. I lept on the 9600 bulk 30 mount ticket discount, because I had previewed the skins and knew I wanted quite a few and because I like them diverse I might as well just get it out of the way with a 2400 gem discount. So yea the gem store is basically this way.

The Reforged Warhound skin has an entirely different model, not just a "new head." In addition, it has unique sound effects, teleport effect and footfalls.

@Wolfheart.7483 said:The Reforged Warhound skin has an entirely different model, not just a "new head." In addition, it has unique sound effects, teleport effect and footfalls.

It doesn't change the fact the mount is more that 2.5 times the cost of any skin on the TP. It's too much for a mount that isn't an added utility, just a different appearance.

@Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921 said:

@Wolfheart.7483 said:The Reforged Warhound skin has an entirely different model, not just a "new head." In addition, it has unique sound effects, teleport effect and footfalls.

It doesn't change the fact the mount is more that 2.5 times the cost of any skin on the TP. It's too much for a mount that isn't an added utility, just a different appearance.

I assume by TP you mean Gem Store. Because it certainly isn't 2.5 times more expensive than every skin on the Trading Post. But to put it in perspective anyway, 2000 gems is currently between 500 and 600 gold to acquire right now. I certainly think the skin is worth that amount of gold and therefore I see nothing wrong with the price. You may think it is too much, which is fine, but that varies person to person.

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

I assume by TP you mean Gem Store. Because it certainly isn't 2.5 times more expensive than every skin on the Trading Post. But to put it in perspective anyway, 2000 gems is currently between 500 and 600 gold to acquire right now. I certainly think the skin is worth that amount of gold and therefore I see nothing wrong with the price. You may think it is too much, which is fine, but that varies person to person.

you think way to much in gold, it's about 25 euro, that's the big expensive part about it and that's why it's overpriced.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

you think way to much in gold, it's about 25 euro, that's the big expensive part about it and that's why it's overpriced.

I think both are valid ways of thinking about it. The important one is whichever currency you're thinking of using to buy that item. For some people that's always real money, for others it's always gold and for some it can be both.

I often work out the price of gem store items in both real money and in gold when deciding if I want to get them, because the answer can be different. For example 5 shared inventory slots are 2,800 gems. That's £26.60 which is far more than I'd be willing to pay for them. But right now it's about 750 gold and it's been a lot less in the past and I'm fine with spending that on them. (The real money is actually easier for me to get, but there's many more things I can use it for, whereas gold can only be used in-game so I don't worry so much about 'wasting' it on things.) Of course there's some things I like which cost far more than I'm willing to spend in either currency, and then I don't buy them.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

As long as gold-to-gems exists, it's a very valid way of thinking about any gem store item.

@sorudo.9054 said:some ppl have to wait for their payday to come, removing an item that expensive within 2 weeks is not reasonable.i would say a month is enough time, IMO removing items is already not a good idea but if they have to give it time.

This is my main issue with limited time sales... two week ones is... okay? One week ones guarantee that it's not going to intersect with some people's pay schedules.... I find they almost always come on my off weeks when I don't necessarily want to make the extra expense.

Archived