Griever and Tempest

Simeonus.9237

What do you think about this combination? Griever stats with Scepter/Warhorn tempest, runes of balthazar and food can easily cap 100% burning duration. With my calculations can be really strong in PvE, still need to wait for qT benchmarks, tho. Just wanted to hear your opinions, because everyone's so hyped for weaver but tempest with those new stats can be equal if not better(atleast for me, I like warhorn and dislike clunky sword).

Assuming the standard Fresh Air build as a base, I'd say it doesn't look very good. You lose a bunch of Power, Precision and Ferocity, plus the 10% Scholar damage modifier which will hurt your already lacking power damage. You get extra condi, but you only apply burning through Dragons's Tooth (once every Overload Air cycle) and Wildfire (once every two cycles).

If you instead take the Fire/Arcane "camp Fire" route, you'll be better off using the already existing d/f condi build.

@Simeonus.9237 said:What do you think about this combination? Griever stats with Scepter/Warhorn tempest, runes of balthazar and food can easily cap 100% burning duration. With my calculations can be really strong in PvE, still need to wait for qT benchmarks, tho. Just wanted to hear your opinions, because everyone's so hyped for weaver but tempest with those new stats can be equal if not better(atleast for me, I like warhorn and dislike clunky sword).

Grieving looks better than I had expected for a power burn build. Not sure if it'll top anything, but it'll be close.

I'd been assuming that Sinister's and Berserker's would continue to top the damage charts, with Grieving a close third. Today, I ran some napkin math (no guarantees, only looking at base stats, not DPS of any rotations) assuming a 50/50 balance between condi and power damage in the rotation, a goal of no less than 85% burn duration, and standard raid meta boons.

With the 50/50 split, the meta Sinister base with just enough Viper's to max condi duration wins out. Full Berserker's came in second and overtakes everything as power becomes a more prevalent source of damage in the rotation. Grieving was just a hair behind Berserker's at that 50/50 split and would overtake 2nd with a slightly more condi-focused rotation. Still, the Sinister meta continues to top the expected numbers.

You can tweak gear, sigils, food, and utilities to blend sets more towards particular damage distributions. For example, using a Toxic Focusing Crystal on a Berserker's set has a big impact on its condi damage. Maybe a little Rampager's or Assassin's would help push a Grieving set over the hump, given that crit chance is the main thing holding it back? Will have to keep plugging away.

Right. Like I said, it depends on the balance of condi and power damage in your rotation. I didn't use any rotation, just plotting numbers from base stats. The player's actual rotation will determine the best option for them. Sinister appears to win below ~39% power. Berserker's appears to win above 53% power. Grieving appears to win in the space between those two.

The thing with griever is that is a very hybrid stat, and to make good use of it you need to be able to deal good amounts of condi while doing good amounts of direct dmg. Due to the lack of expertise, the condi duration needs to be obtainable with traits/runes/sigils without detracting too much from a normal power build...

Ele is a good candidate for that, but not with tempest.Ele can focus on using burns, what is great for grievers, but tempest takes a lot of power dmg from air overload, in what your burn application will fall a lot, so you will loose dps compared to a pure power setup. While on the current fire/arcane ele, the power dmg on camping fire will likely not overcome the loss of condi dmg and precision.

The weaver on the other hand is very likely to make good use of the set. The trait bonuses to crit chance, precision, dmg, condi dmg and duration might make up for the loss of pure stats, while the lower att change delays (when using just 2 attunements) and the sword dual skills providing a lot of burn and good power dmg makes a good candidate for a hybrid dmg build.

Check out the Plasma Weaver Build that I posted... I think it might work very well on high end PvE.

Archived