Bandwidth for GW2?

Velox.2031

Hi. im wondering how much bandwidth gw2 uses while playing.i have the game fully downloaded and im aware of time to time patchesbut im asking about how much it eats data when playing a course of 3-5hrs mostly in wvw.

current situation doesnt allow me to have wired connection so im using my phone data with a capso im curious if i could sustain it for a whole month.

My connection is varying from 35-65 KB/s, which translates to 180 mb/hour or up to half a gig for each of your WvW sessions.

Mileage will vary: my rate was variable even while idling; I'm sure in WvW there will be other factors. Plus Coherent eats up an extra 10% (included in my 35-65kbs estimate); that probably increases when using the TP or various other bits of the UI.

There are any number of tools you can use to monitor your total bandwidth consumed; most ISPs provide that service via their website if not via downloadable programs.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out — your experience might be helpful for someone else in the future.

i guess it does eat up a bit of data. i think i used like 350mb for 5hrs in wvw last night. which doesnt look promising if i have a data cap per 30 days.trying to find solutions to this problem but i think a cap of 6gb wont cut it for the month and 22gb isnt looking good as well if i go with that cap..

You might try using your phone as a hot spot, depending on its data plan. It's probably better to use your house ISP for the game, but you can do your other browsing plus streaming via the mobile.

PS 350mb for 5 hours is less than my estimate. I just used resource monitor and looked at the peak/trough rates. Your numbers are surely more accurate, since you looked at actual usage. I think it's fair for you to assume 0.3gb per night of WvW but be prepared to go over that if you play longer.

I don't really do anything online except login to GW2. My wife also plays. We rarely watch streaming shows or download anything. Mostly our internet goes to playing GW2 and reading the news. My data usage for the month is always at least 100gb. Even months where we did watch a few shows on Netflix or Amazon, it never exceeded 250gb.

@Ubi.4136 said:I don't really do anything online except login to GW2. My wife also plays. We rarely watch streaming shows or download anything. Mostly our internet goes to playing GW2 and reading the news. My data usage for the month is always at least 100gb. Even months where we did watch a few shows on Netflix or Amazon, it never exceeded 250gb.

That's very useful; thanks for posting.

Can I ask some follow-up for comparing apples:apples?

• How often do you play?
  • For how long?
  • In what sort of content do y'all primarily participate? WvW? Open world? Instanced (e.g. fractal, dungeon, raid)?

Thanks

Archived