Deadeye Short-ranged "sniper"

Slyven.8637

against moving or in WvW gliding targets at least DJ doesnt even have 1500 range, against gliding ones sometimes not half that range and i am not talking about gliding high above but a bit over the ground, right in front of you and it says out of range. they keep gliding away and hit the ground and there eat the DJ. and people moving left or right mostly get an obstructed message even if there is nothing in between. if they fix those things id be ok with only 1,5k range - but till then demand as much as we can think of, so we might get at least bug fixes :D

@MUDse.7623 said:against moving or in WvW gliding targets at least DJ doesnt even have 1500 range, against gliding ones sometimes not half that range and i am not talking about gliding high above but a bit over the ground, right in front of you and it says out of range. they keep gliding away and hit the ground and there eat the DJ. and people moving left or right mostly get an obstructed message even if there is nothing in between. if they fix those things id be ok with only 1,5k range - but till then demand as much as we can think of, so we might get at least bug fixes :D

Did you forget that when you aim, you're actually aiming in a sphere? To hit gliders you want to be infront of them so it's harder for them to escape you. Or higher up in elevation so they're not on the tip of that sphere.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

@MUDse.7623 said:against moving or in WvW gliding targets at least DJ doesnt even have 1500 range, against gliding ones sometimes not half that range and i am not talking about gliding high above but a bit over the ground, right in front of you and it says out of range. they keep gliding away and hit the ground and there eat the DJ. and people moving left or right mostly get an obstructed message even if there is nothing in between. if they fix those things id be ok with only 1,5k range - but till then demand as much as we can think of, so we might get at least bug fixes :D

Did you forget that when you aim, you're actually aiming in a sphere? To hit gliders you want to be infront of them so it's harder for them to escape you. Or higher up in elevation so they're not on the tip of that sphere.

even if it is a sphere, i was not talking about gliders that are high above , maybe just 1,5 asura lengths off the ground and only like 400 units infront of me and it will miss sometimes being out of range, somtimes it will hit. its like to toss a coin if your lucky your are considered in range.

@MUDse.7623 said:

even if it is a sphere, i was not talking about gliders that are high above , maybe just 1,5 asura lengths off the ground and only like 400 units infront of me and it will miss sometimes being out of range, somtimes it will hit. its like to toss a coin if your lucky your are considered in range.

I think two things are going on here then.

The bug where the deadeye for some reason doesn't actually hit the target despite the target being stationary. It might be a tunneling problem or something janky. And the glider moving fast enough that the projectile couldn't reach the hitbox in time.

Honestly if the kneel was increased to a 600 range bonus, the range would actually be fine. One of the nail in the coffins for deadeye was going to WvW and trying to shoot across a palisade; the ranger next to me was dancing about the corner shooting the volley of arrows at one guy, but before my kneels even finished the opponent moved out of range. Short of a stealth gimmick build, Rangers can just outmanuever the ranges of the deadeye with ease at any point with greater utility, and cleave no less.

And in PVE, sacrificing mobility for 300 additional range means you have multiple seconds of vulnerability before you can even do damage, in which time 1500 range can very easily be closed by most mobile enemies. Deadeye has no cleave and can't handle a group of enemies either, so somehow assuming you do manage to kill your target without cleave and losing your shots against the group, you have the rest to contend with while malice becomes utterly irrelevant.

There's just little to no benefit to using kneel. The point of "melee damage at range" is a ridiculous design philosophy, particularly for PVE. In PVP this would make more sense to even the grounds against player characters but in PVE it does nothing but gimp the class. What Deadeye tries to accomplish, Ranger can do better with a longbow. And the kicker is that Longbow gets the same range with mobility, more utility, and cleave. It's usable as opposed to the Deadeye Rifle which is a one trick gimmick and absolutely painful to use.

@Lyros.4673 said:Honestly if the kneel was increased to a 600 range bonus, the range would actually be fine. One of the nail in the coffins for deadeye was going to WvW and trying to shoot across a palisade; the ranger next to me was dancing about the corner shooting the volley of arrows at one guy, but before my kneels even finished the opponent moved out of range. Short of a stealth gimmick build, Rangers can just outmanuever the ranges of the deadeye with ease at any point with greater utility, and cleave no less.

And in PVE, sacrificing mobility for 300 additional range means you have multiple seconds of vulnerability before you can even do damage, in which time 1500 range can very easily be closed by most mobile enemies. Deadeye has no cleave and can't handle a group of enemies either, so somehow assuming you do manage to kill your target without cleave and losing your shots against the group, you have the rest to contend with while malice becomes utterly irrelevant.

There's just little to no benefit to using kneel. The point of "melee damage at range" is a ridiculous design philosophy, particularly for PVE. In PVP this would make more sense to even the grounds against player characters but in PVE it does nothing but kitten the class. What Deadeye tries to accomplish, Ranger can do better with a longbow. And the kicker is that Longbow gets the same range with mobility, more utility, and cleave. It's usable as opposed to the Deadeye Rifle which is a one trick gimmick and absolutely painful to use.

Bring Shadowstep. You'll have the same dang problem if your range was further increased. Only worse, because now you're dealing with a longer travel time which they can side step.

Archived