Let's play some casual PvP

TheQuickFox.3826

L2P, use those dodges, evades, find a decent build to run. Also you might want to rethink playing Ele in PvP at least until you actually get some experience. Ele is pretty lackluster even in the hands of a hardern pro Ele vet.

Other than that you just need some experience, a proper build, and maybe to play on a newbro friendly class. Till you get the lay of the land.

I never wanted to say I'm good at this. But this is still ridiculous.And no, you really don't want me to be playing a new class in PvP. I am Elementalist. I only play Elly since GW1:Prophecies and will stick to this. And meta fresh air is too complicated as is the new weaver thingie. (Not that weaver performs well)

Sure, destroy me in the comments for my lack of 1337 skillz. But at least I learned my profession, my build, game type and the map mechanics. For me, and for now, that is what I can.

Fortunately, I have had many fair games. Around 50% win ratio. At least the matchmaking still does its job I guess. But even for a player who does not have the skill for split-second dodging or micromanagement. These one-shots are absurd. That is just my opinion.

Some stats:JwSw52O.jpg

In the end, I don't want to climb the ladder of ranked. I don't need to be a "God of PvP". I just want to have some casual fun in this game type and get my AP unlocked in the mean time without these insane oneshots.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:I never wanted to say I'm good at this. But this is still ridiculous.And no, you really don't want me to be playing a new class in PvP. I am Elementalist. I only play Elly since GW1:Prophecies and will stick to this. And meta fresh air is too complicated as is the new weaver thingie. (Not that weaver performs well)

Sure, destroy me in the comments for my lack of 1337 skillz. But at least I learned my profession, my build, game type and the map mechanics. For me, and for now, that is what I can.

Fortunately, I have had many fair games. Around 50% win ratio. At least the matchmaking still does its job I guess. But even for a player who does not have the skill for split-second dodging or micromanagement. These one-shots are absurd. That is just my opinion.

Some stats:JwSw52O.jpg

Man fresh air is way easier then sword weaver, you have to have lightning reactions if you want play weaver in current meta. In general, you will bring your team down and you are an underdog in every fight you pick.

When the gnome flies in from off screen in slow-motion, i just died laughing. I'm so sorry.

In all seriousness, ya this game is power creeped to hell. The skill gap between new players and veterans is so massive that i'm not surprised that it takes many many months of game-play just to be able to survive long enough to learn what skills do and how to counter-play.

That's actually not a bad win/loss record, I've experienced far worse. Ele really isn't the right class to rush the gate. You got hosed by a flanking shot. That happens. Be aware that Stronghold has long been a farm for trolling newish players. It was finally dropped from the Ranked side, perhaps partly for that reason.

@Duzik.9137 said:

Man fresh air is way easier then sword weaver, you have to have lightning reactions if you want play weaver in current meta. In general, you will bring your team down and you are an underdog in every fight you pick.

Yeah and the thing is, the margin for errors are very slim, especially for the Weaver burst spec. Not sure how I can play it without an MMORPG mouse.

@Ithilwen.1529 said:That's actually not a bad win/loss record, I've experienced far worse. Ele really isn't the right class to rush the gate. You got hosed by a flanking shot. That happens. Be aware that Stronghold has long been a farm for trolling newish players. It was finally dropped from the Ranked side, perhaps partly for that reason.

Thanks. Fortunately, I also have quite some good games in which I can be of good value to my team. Here my experience is that when I don't rush to the gate, most of the time nobody does, causing our gate breakers to be instakilled by these guards. So I take it as my job to finish off these guards quickly while others usually go for the battle in the middle. Maybe I could try to go on defense right from the start.

Here is some footage of a better match where I perform the best I can (with my skill level, I'm sure many of you can do better but this is not my point). The difference is that I am not being oneshot here so I can actually dodge a few things and use my heals.

(
)

@Reaper Alim.4176 said:L2P, use those dodges, evades, find a decent build to run. Also you might want to rethink playing Ele in PvP at least until you actually get some experience. Ele is pretty lackluster even in the hands of a hardern pro Ele vet.

Other than that you just need some experience, a proper build, and maybe to play on a newbro friendly class. Till you get the lay of the land.

L2P?

This doesn't sound like you. Is Anet threatening to ban you or something?

You should actually try to learn fresh air and weaver. Many times when learning a character or class across different games I've told to myself:

• Well this is as far as I get. That advanced strategy is just off limits for me.
  • This character is too hard and I'm wasting my time. Better pick a more simple one.

So many times. From learning a really hard special move in a fighting game, to even learning Scepter in GW2. Then over time it just becomes second nature. You only need to keep practicing.

@Burnfall.9573 said:

@Reaper Alim.4176 said:L2P, use those dodges, evades, find a decent build to run. Also you might want to rethink playing Ele in PvP at least until you actually get some experience. Ele is pretty lackluster even in the hands of a hardern pro Ele vet.

L2P?

This doesn't sound like you. Is Anet threatening to ban you or something?

'But we are strong,each in our purpose,and we are all morestrong together'

Unload Deadeye is ... ugh. The burst damage output on an unprepared player just doesn't make any sense, period. You have to know they're in the game and counterplay them almost before you see them, which is a lot to ask a lower-tier player - there's a reason these guys dominate at the lower matchmaking tiers.

My brief time in silver this season was really eye-opening - such an incredibly high proportion of players were using really glassy ranged burst specs (like PP DE) that it was like existing in an entirely different meta. Sure, learn to counter them and they're mostly free kills - most of these builds I've simply never encountered in Platinum - but there's no reason we should be expecting casual players to have to spend their PvP time arduously learning to counter specific OP builds (even if they're one-trick builds). PvP should be accessible and enjoyable to casuals - that's how plenty of more hardcore players start out.

So yeah, I agree with the OP that having that much burst so easily accessible at low/casual skill tiers is not good for the game.

Edit: also many stronghold players are part of guild mission teams who're almost impossible to matchmake effectively against, so skill disparity plus organisational disparity can create some pretty rubbish experiences for opposing teams.

Custom builds are the best. "Meta" copy paste builds are just the ones with the most popularity. There are builds in every class that you can use that no one else does because alot of puggers just copy paste from metabattle.com. I've ran custom non meta necro builds for 3 years now in pvp and for instance my season 3 record was 102-9 solo ranked play when it was up to 5 man teams. Even now i still run a off "meta" copy paste build. Something i made and its a power/condi scourge with power weps and traits just supplemented by condi and it's amazing fun. I have a few randoms people or friends i'll teach builds to but I ask to never have it reposted. Best way to keep it to your self :). I have 5 necro students basically right now. Back in guild wars 1 i made and horded my builds and gave it freely to friends and guildies. People seem to not realize the advantage of a epicly awesome build that you personally crafted and no one knows the secrets to. You face "meta" build and know the kinks to break the legs out from under it. With your's they are clueless for a bit.

In short mess around have fun with build ideas. Use something that seems like it wont work then change the weapons or traits around the other and try it again. I'd say "meta" builds are good starter ideas but they aren't always the best ideas. I'm like the OP now adays i don't play ranked it's too toxic. I'd get plat t2 during seasons 5-8 from the 10 game qualify but then i'd let it decay because ranked is just trashy and not worth the time. I'll take knowing i have to carry new or bad pugs over having to deal with trash/troll players.

Archived