Better options than Scholars? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Better options than Scholars?

TwiceDead.1963TwiceDead.1963 Member ✭✭✭
edited November 25, 2017 in Elementalist

As a melee Elementalist, you hardly ever get to use the last 10% damage multiplier so it's just a waste (at least I don't).

Any other decent options?

Edit: PvE question btw.

Comments

  • Razor.6392Razor.6392 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Strength, or maybe rune of the spellbreaker.

    Never said I'm the best, but I believe I'm better than you.

  • Yeah, Spellbreaker looks good. There's no enemies in the game with persistent boon application anyway.

    Thanks alot!

  • Kyon.9735Kyon.9735 Member ✭✭✭

    Strength or Berserker runes if you're hybrid. Balthazar runes are pretty cheap as well.

  • Murdock.6547Murdock.6547 Member ✭✭✭

    I believe eagle works too? Its also quite cheap.
    Tbh it really depends on your build and what content you do

  • Aetatis.5418Aetatis.5418 Member ✭✭✭

    well scholar is still the best option even without the 6 rune bonus. isnt it?
    if you are capping crit chance, you want as much power+ferocity as possible. scholar offers both.
    there are only 2 more runes that offer power+ferocity -> deadeye and ogre. and ogre already loses a lot of ferocity, while deadeye has no extra-dmg.
    ogre vs scholar without 6 piece bonus = zero difference. ogre loses 4.x% crit-dmg and gains 4% increased dmg with the 6 piece bonus.
    deadeye vs scholar = almost no difference. same ferocity (crit-dmg) but deadeye offers not even the possibility to deal extra damage.

    rune of the dragonhunter has more ferocity, less power and a 6 piece bonus that does nothing on ele.

    so i believe scholar is BiS.
    i'd love to be proven wrong, as always :)
    the more i know, the better i can play/understand my profession.

    cheers

  • Knox.8962Knox.8962 Member ✭✭✭

    Flame Legion. If you're doing burning damage anyways, it helps for that as well as being effectively 100% uptime on the damage mod. Scholar uptimes are lower than people tend to think if you actually look at the reported numbers for fights. Flame Legion is a solid choice.

  • Feanor.2358Feanor.2358 Member ✭✭✭✭

    No, there isn't any better rune than Scholar. Even as a Sword/X, you get to initiate the combat and you're on full health when you do so. Scholar gives the highest bonus damage, hence it increases your burst, which is all that matters for most of the PvE. And in the high-end PvE where you need to sustain your damage you should have a healer anyway, so maintaining the bonus shouldn't be a problem.

  • If you are playing weaver, and have x 2 x on the trait line - pack runes work well. 125 extra prec, 175 power, 10s of swiftness, fury and might to you and allies every 30s and extra 30% boon duration for swiftness. That trait gives you 7% dmg when you have swiftness or super speed. One can argue if you are running arcana you don’t need pack, but it’s still nice to grant fury for 10s to your allies while getting 300 extra stat boosts and perma 7% dmg increase.

  • Feanor.2358Feanor.2358 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Drastic.8920 said:
    If you are playing weaver, and have x 2 x on the trait line - pack runes work well. 125 extra prec, 175 power, 10s of swiftness, fury and might to you and allies every 30s and extra 30% boon duration for swiftness. That trait gives you 7% dmg when you have swiftness or super speed. One can argue if you are running arcana you don’t need pack, but it’s still nice to grant fury for 10s to your allies while getting 300 extra stat boosts and perma 7% dmg increase.

    I can argue you don't need Pack regardless. In a proper party your crit chance is maxed and you have fury and swiftness anyway.

  • @Feanor.2358 said:

    I can argue you don't need Pack regardless. In a proper party your crit chance is maxed and you have fury and swiftness anyway.

    In a proper party, I agree with you; other runes are better suited. Without knowing the build or comp, just providing a way for OP maintain the traited 7% dmg modifier while still contributing to the group.

  • Guys, it's fine now. I am content with Spellbreaker runes. I appreciate all the answers I received, thanks again.

  • I main ele, foes always have boons so the last of SB seems wasted. Scholar is best even just the extra ferocity sets it ahead, strength really good too tho.

  • Tseison.4659Tseison.4659 Member ✭✭✭

    Yet it’s easy to get reduced below 90%.... lol.

  • I spend most of my time running alone, so I have difficulty with the 90% health thing for scholars. I run Strength runes because of my casual loner playstyle and penchant for engaging random champs solo.

  • MyPuppy.8970MyPuppy.8970 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Scholar will be updated tonight. I don't like that rune though, feels too plain to me.

  • Scholar is still the best rune

  • dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭

    what ever you can afford after these runes skyrocket to 100K+ thanks to the new RNG

  • I use leadership, because I use the same gear in pve as in wvw. shrug after today, will probably change that.

  • Ogre, you got the same bonuses with scholar withouth the health percentage requeriments, also you got a pet.

    Fall down seven times, get up eight.

  • Did some tests today and the Rock Dog deals about 400 dps (500 with vulnerability on the target). That's roughly 1% damage if your dps is 40k. Not sure if I'd use it over Scholar to be honest. But it is a very cool rune. :)

  • Yeah but it disappears, no ? Or it stays until it dies ?

  • When it runs out, a new one will appear, every 60 seconds until you go out of combat.

  • @ThiBash.5634 said:
    Did some tests today and the Rock Dog deals about 400 dps (500 with vulnerability on the target). That's roughly 1% damage if your dps is 40k. Not sure if I'd use it over Scholar to be honest. But it is a very cool rune. :)

    Build and set up?

  • MyPuppy.8970MyPuppy.8970 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Rock dog sounds nice against stuff like unrelenting assault...

  • i know Flame legion runes have been mentioned but i dont think there as good as scholar

  • Zunki.3916Zunki.3916 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2018

    @Mini Crinny.6190 said:
    i know Flame legion runes have been mentioned but i dont think there as good as scholar

    I'm currently calculating a bit and they aren't bad. On the current power sword build burning is roughly 9.5% of total dmg. You increase that portion by around 42%, means your total damage inreases by 4% through the increased burning duration.
    225 Ferocity translates to around 6% more pdps (assuming you have 1500 ferocity without scholars), meaning you get

    Scholar gives:

    • 6% pdps from 225 ferocity
    • 5% pdps while above 90% health

    Flame Legion gives:

    • 7% pdps
    • 4% dps from the burning

    This further means (taking 90.5% of total dps being pdps):
    Scholar evens out at around 9.95% overall dps while Flame Legion goes to around 10.4%

    So actually Flame Legion seems superior to me (by 0.5%), as it's more dmg on paper and does not have the 90% health threshold problem, with the disadvantage of the higher condi part being less bursty.

    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Viable != Optimal

    Not viable = You only get carried, 10 players with a build as "viable as yours" can't properly do it.

  • steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Zunki.3916 said:

    @Mini Crinny.6190 said:
    i know Flame legion runes have been mentioned but i dont think there as good as scholar

    I'm currently calculating a bit and they aren't bad. On the current power sword build burning is roughly 9.5% of total dmg. You increase that portion by around 42%, means your total damage inreases by 4% through the increased burning duration.
    225 Ferocity translates to around 6% more pdps (assuming you have 1500 ferocity without scholars), meaning you get

    Scholar gives:

    • 6% pdps from 225 ferocity
    • 5% pdps while above 90% health

    Flame Legion gives:

    • 7% pdps
    • 4% dps from the burning

    This further means (taking 90.5% of total dps being pdps):
    Scholar evens out at around 9.95% overall dps while Flame Legion goes to around 10.4%

    So actually Flame Legion seems superior to me (by 0.5%), as it's more dmg on paper and does not have the 90% health threshold problem, with the disadvantage of the higher condi part being less bursty.

    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Try with runes of fire. Not sure how it looks for pve (although alacrity helps a lot with uptime), but it looks quite promising for staff in wvw.

    Deso's favorite FROG
    Master of afk and kiting
    The God of Pips and Gud Deeps
    Froggo himself

  • Zunki.3916Zunki.3916 Member ✭✭✭

    @steki.1478 said:

    @Zunki.3916 said:

    @Mini Crinny.6190 said:
    i know Flame legion runes have been mentioned but i dont think there as good as scholar

    I'm currently calculating a bit and they aren't bad. On the current power sword build burning is roughly 9.5% of total dmg. You increase that portion by around 42%, means your total damage inreases by 4% through the increased burning duration.
    225 Ferocity translates to around 6% more pdps (assuming you have 1500 ferocity without scholars), meaning you get

    Scholar gives:

    • 6% pdps from 225 ferocity
    • 5% pdps while above 90% health

    Flame Legion gives:

    • 7% pdps
    • 4% dps from the burning

    This further means (taking 90.5% of total dps being pdps):
    Scholar evens out at around 9.95% overall dps while Flame Legion goes to around 10.4%

    So actually Flame Legion seems superior to me (by 0.5%), as it's more dmg on paper and does not have the 90% health threshold problem, with the disadvantage of the higher condi part being less bursty.

    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Try with runes of fire. Not sure how it looks for pve (although alacrity helps a lot with uptime), but it looks quite promising for staff in wvw.

    Break even point seems to be at around 80% fire aura uptime. I think Flame Legion is the safer option but still, Rune of Fire is better than I expected at first.

    Viable != Optimal

    Not viable = You only get carried, 10 players with a build as "viable as yours" can't properly do it.

  • ThiBash.5634ThiBash.5634 Member ✭✭
    edited November 22, 2018

    @Scapper.4236 said:

    @ThiBash.5634 said:
    Did some tests today and the Rock Dog deals about 400 dps (500 with vulnerability on the target). That's roughly 1% damage if your dps is 40k. Not sure if I'd use it over Scholar to be honest. But it is a very cool rune. :)

    Build and set up?

    Doesn't matter. The summons don't scale with gear or personal boons. They can receive boons, but those will likely go to players in actual raid scenarios. The only that really affects them is vulnerability.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.