Ping spikes bigger than they've ever been

Probably one of your internet hops becoming congested and dropping packets something anet has no control over nor you it's just the route your ISP takes to reach it's destination. (kinda like a highway for data like cars is to an interstate if you get a traffic jam you lag on your way to work so to speak lol internet data works the same way) No 2 people will ever have the same route because its world location and ISP specific. Also like cars to an interstate we both could work at the same job but live 20 miles apart from each other your route to work would be entirely different then mine we may intersect on the same route near destination but route as a whole is completely different at the start. In gw2 case we all intersect at login server and game server.

I'll be entirely honest, I haven't encountered lag or massive lag spikes in guild wars 2 in a long time. (i have a 30ms-50ms ping to server consistently and stable map dependent) Also make sure you don't confuse internet lag to fps drops they both can seem the same at times, but are entirely 2 different problems. Also the game streams content some people also confuse the content loading as internet latency when it is indeed tied more to your hard drives loading speed for content. An ssd would load nearly instantly where a basic hdd would load slower and would resemble lag, but has nothing to do with the internet. I'm based on basic HDD i encounter a spike or hitchy spike not internet issue it's my hdd streaming in more data i see it alot in the silverwastes for some reason, while the rest of the game is fine.

My suggestion:You should research more into your problem, your information is pretty vague to say the least. Grab ping plotter and tcp view to get gw2 server ip addresses /ip command in game gives a dead ip so don't use it for a reference I've re-tested it during making of my reply thought loading screen gave server ip but maybe that was gw1 also maybe dif way get server ips i just use tcp view while in game to get them what ever way works best use it and observe them bet you see not anet problem in the end.If packets are dropping on hops not anything you can do other than switch ISP and hope routing is different, as hops are out of anets control. Also you could try using a VPN to get different routing, but it could give you more lag and make things even worse.Catch-22 situation.

Archived