Griffons Should Benefit from Updrafts

I keep flying my Griffon into updrafts hoping that eventually he'll benefit from them the way my glider wings do. Are there plans on having mounts (especially Griffons) being able to take a ride on an updraft ? It would be one step closer to physical reality imho, but I don't know how difficult it would be to program it into the game.M. Conrad K.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love this too.... but I get why it will probably never happen. Still, it feels unnatural that we fly through them and nothing happens, especially when we see birds in RL using thermals all the time. To help with my immersion, I avoid them or tell myself that my griffon is too heavy to be lifted by an updraft. Or that they're magical and only affect gliders because gliders are built with magic. I mean, some gliders are plainly magical and even the 'realistic' ones... well, how else would such flimsy contraptions even hold together?

I think the use of the Glider and the use of the Griffin are very different - but maybe that is my own play style...I use the Glider when I need the precision to drop onto a ledge or if I am not sure where I am going - I personally don't feel like the Griffin gives me that precision. Additionally, when I am gliding, I will constantly drop out of the glider to lose altitude quickly on a certain spot where you either have to nose-dive on the griffin which is hard to manage, or you have to circle around as you descend which is also more difficult. Also, the Glider uses the ley-lines which is super fun and a quick way to travel around those types of maps - and I don't think this should be griffin specific.

But yeah, if we could at least be able to dismount mid-air to then use the updraft on our gliders, it would certainly suit my play/explore-style.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not improving the game just to save an element we are all fond of is really not a valid reason to impede progress. I'm sure train buffs did not want to advance flying because of their romantic attachment to them. OK, maybe not the perfect analogy but I say Griffons should be able to use thermals AND be dismountable in air. Dismounting a griffon in air would almost necessitate the use and conservation of the glider.

@Evolute.6239 said:This isn't a bug, nor should it be implemented.Griffon already almost makes gliding obsolete. Making it completely replace the glider would be silly.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:It would be nice, but it would also be a big step toward making gliders completely obsolete.

It wouldn't. You won't be able to leyline with Griffon.

I for one would think it would be silly if a Griffon can use Leylines. Updraft though is something birds do use in general.

@Kumouta.4985 said:have skimmer be affected too then, since spamming spacebar with it is basically gliding but faster.

That would be scary. I would imagine with the Skimmer you would go in the air like 2x higher and 2x faster than a glider/griffon. You seen how quick that thing can get off the ground? It's also always floating too. It must be made of air and magic to be so light.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Evolute.6239 said:This isn't a bug, nor should it be implemented.Griffon already almost makes gliding obsolete. Making it completely replace the glider would be silly.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:It would be nice, but it would also be a big step toward making gliders completely obsolete.

It wouldn't. You won't be able to leyline with Griffon.

I for one would think it would be silly if a Griffon can use Leylines. Updraft though is something birds do use in general.

@Kumouta.4985 said:have skimmer be affected too then, since spamming spacebar with it is basically gliding but faster.

That would be scary. I would imagine with the Skimmer you would go in the air like 2x higher and 2x faster than a glider/griffon. You seen how quick that thing can get off the ground? It's also always floating too. It must be made of air and magic to be so light.

But griffons are not birds. They are way more massive. Their weight is just too high to use updrafts. Also griffons have their own updraft mechanic, why should they allowed to use the HoT one?

That's just a small step in killing gliders, the big step was introducing griffons in the first place so, allowing to use updrafts, is just finishing that work.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:I would personally prefer the "dismount mid air" option (for Griffon only), it would be sad to kill gliders entirely.

Why the kitten would would you want that restricted to griffons?

Because if you do it with springer you can be flying everytime.I guess that's his reason.

I'd tie it to a new mastery that unlocks once you've mastered the griffon and gliding, but would definitely appreciate it. I see as ow it would invalidate the glider, but a tleast you would need them both to do it, which should give you timeto enjoy the glider while it lasts. A dismount in midair optionfor the griffon would be a nice workaround I'd take just as well, using the updrafts while mounted would just feel right and enable more fluent flying ;)

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:I would personally prefer the "dismount mid air" option (for Griffon only), it would be sad to kill gliders entirely.

Why the kitten would would you want that restricted to griffons?

Because if you do it with springer you can be flying everytime.I guess that's his reason.

Thanks, so basically a 'I want the best widget and you can not have it' reason?

yes definitely do something like this. Griffons are so unique and expanding on them is a must for Anet!Some GW2 videos showcasing the griffon Flight and the terrain-changing view from mounts have become incredibly famous over the last month. This thing gets you a ton of new players who are blown away from the quality of our mount system when they see these videos.This is a big chance for your game here take it and make it even cooler.. people love the griffon

Archived