The Binding of Ipos

Moonlit.6421

Alright guys so I have a question for you because this is something I haven't heard of. The above is the new Legendary Focus in case you haven't seen it yet, and its name is like the title implies The Binding Of Ipos. Who is Ipos, why is he bound, and who bound him? These are things I desperately want to know but I haven't seen any knowledge on this. Anyone else have an idea as to the origin behind this book?

Not recalling any reference in GW but...

Ipos is a demon. Earl and Prince of Hell in demonology (one of the 72 demons in the Ars Goetia and one of the 69 in the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum) with many legions under his command. If I remember correctly, he had the ability to reveal the past, present, and future.

@Maethor.2810 said:Not recalling any reference in GW but...

Ipos is a demon. Earl and Prince of Hell in demonology (one of the 72 demons in the Ars Goetia and one of the 69 in the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum) with many legions under his command. If I remember correctly, he had the ability to reveal the past, present, and future.

References to real-world mythology in a character's name? Where have we seen that before...

@Tamias.7059 said:

@Maethor.2810 said:Not recalling any reference in GW but...

References to real-world mythology in a character's name?

I said it first!

Balthazar. Lyssa. Lazarus. Jormungand®. Fenrir.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Category:References_to_folklore_%26_mythology

That's just GW1. It's not very uncommon to use mythology for either major figures or even unimportant bosses.

As to the lore, unless something pops up this episode there's no prior mention. Based on its appearance though, I'd bet a powerful demon of some sort.

• 1 month later...

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Balthazar. Lyssa. Lazarus. Jormungand®. Fenrir.https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Category:References_to_folklore_%26_mythologyThat's just GW1. It's not very uncommon to use mythology for either major figures or even unimportant bosses.

Funny you should bring up Jormungandr, as there was a weapon in beta named Jormagundr, or something similar.

@Moonlit.6421 said:Hm, does making the legendary give any insight?

No, but each stage of it is scribed with some unknown alphabet.

Archived