Is Barrier supposed to be worthless in Fractals?

Unlike all other proactive defensive options, Barrier has its effectiveness cut by Agony. Having Agony on you means any Barrier you receive is cut by 70%, just like healing.

However, I've been informed that it is even worse. For Barrier, this cut is compounding for each stack of Agony, to the point where 5 stacks will diminish any Barrier gained to a single point (barrier value of 1).

So, to the devs, is Barrier supposed to be meaningless in higher tier Fractals?

On reddit some time ago, the fractal dev said that they were truly fucking scared of barrier. They didn't use this wording specifically, but that's what it meant, so it was nerfed on many, many levels when it was added to the game in that game mode. It also can't stack and many other little things that effectively makes it useless.

@Rennie.6750 said:On reddit some time ago, the fractal dev said that they were truly kitten scared of barrier. They didn't use this wording specifically, but that's what it meant, so it was nerfed on many, many levels when it was added to the game in that game mode. It also can't stack and many other little things that effectively makes it useless.

Considering Barrier does stack, at least some of that is not the case.

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

@Rennie.6750 said:On reddit some time ago, the fractal dev said that they were truly kitten scared of barrier. They didn't use this wording specifically, but that's what it meant, so it was nerfed on many, many levels when it was added to the game in that game mode. It also can't stack and many other little things that effectively makes it useless.

Considering Barrier does stack, at least some of that is not the case.

Maybe they changed it, i don't know, I don't play necro.

I really wish they would just remove barrier all together from scourge, and buff its dps to about 33k to be competitive as a dps build. The fact that anet took necro, removed its extra health bar, and decided to make that a defensive support spec is baffling to me. For years it has been clear what necro needed in pve, a dps spec. Maybe the third elite spec will also remove necro's extra health bar, reduce it to ele base health, and finally let necro be a serious pve class.

Not to mention, barrier at its core is a tough sell. It has all the required timing of active defenses like dodge,distort, and aegis, but in terms of how much damage it mitigates, it seems closer to protection to me.

Archived