Suggestion: King of the Mound + Capture the Golem

Zodi.8932

So I was thinking of ideas to give PvP a bit more variety in the future and I don't think Anet see it as impossible to add a new game mode to PvP. We just need to push them a bit more!

The first idea and one which would perhaps work best in Gw2 keeping with the general mechanics of conquest would be King of the Mound. This could have a Skritt theme where a mound would spawn with a capture zone randomly on the map. This would have a capture bar the same as conquest which would go up with the same pace as a shrine capture in WvW. The zone could only be captured when none of the opposing team players are left in the zone. To create slightly more balance after one zone is captured the new zone would spawn in a completely different area of the map. A team would need 3 captures to win the game.

The second idea could be a capture the flag style mode where a team have to capture a part from an enemy base and bring it back to their base to put towards building a golem. When they complete the golem with 3 parts then the golem fires at the enemy base winning the game. This mode is pretty common in other mmos but it works well and could easily be given a gw2 theme.

So do you guys think we will see a different game mode in Gw2 PvP one day?

hopefully the person that made the decision of conquest being the only/best format will get into a fatal car crash soon or something religion wise that death will show him the truth! you coulda been way more successful this a horrible format and anything they enter in otherwise seems to be made horrid on purpose/fail on purpose to try to make conquest look good. stronghold inspired by gvg but damn sure made to be horrible in comparison which makes conquest look like a better option than it really is.

I'd be happy with a TDM, 1v1, 3v3, 8v8 or something of the like. A lot of people already want them and it's pretty standard for these to be in other MMO's so it might even appeal to people outside of gw2. I don't see capture the flag fitting in with how this game plays in any shape or form. And king of the hill would just be a more annoying/RNG conquest.

Yes I would love capture the flag, it is one of my favorite game modes in PvP. I think it would work very well in GW2.

There can also be add-ons in capture the flag, such as capturing an objective that gives more points to the team that captures it. Think Capricorn but instead of Conquest you get CtF.

Or there could also be buff add-ons, like from Eternal Coliseum where teamfights will be greatly enhanced to teams w/ the add-ons. Definitely a fun game mode idea.

@Abelisk.4527 said:Yes I would love capture the flag, it is one of my favorite game modes in PvP. I think it would work very well in GW2.

There can also be add-ons in capture the flag, such as capturing an objective that gives more points to the team that captures it. Think Capricorn but instead of Conquest you get CtF.

Or there could also be buff add-ons, like from Eternal Coliseum where teamfights will be greatly enhanced to teams w/ the add-ons. Definitely a fun game mode idea.

Exactly. There are plenty of ways to incorporate these game modes into Guild Wars 2 and keep it in a way that even die hard conquest fans can enjoy the mechanics. Flag carrier for example gains a cripple buff. Could also disable stealth and dodging when carrying but allow teleport so then thief becomes a viable flag carrier but would die fast.

I think part of the challenge is balancing modes against each other. Because they are trying to create a competitive esports atmosphere it is important that any ranked game mode be balanced against other game modes. Conquest has the benefit of being fairly balanced across all classes and build types. I can see some classes struggling in a mode with a heavier focus on team fights.

One possible solution is to have alternating seasons of ranked. Conquest maps for x amoung of time with its own ranking and then arena or TDM maps for x amount of time with its own ranking.

@megilandil.7506 said:to put other pvp modes firts they have to make the build management tool, if not any other format will become trashed by players... oh i get into DM with a conquest , build... crapp

Seperate que from conquest is preferred although you're not really running a full on conquest build unless youre a bunker... support builds work fine spike builds work fine leaving bunkers a conquest type of thing. They are the only one whose pointless there because their job is to stay alive themselves not support others or kill enemies.

@Omcrazy.4756 said:I think part of the challenge is balancing modes against each other.

When it comes to balancing formats if done seperate ques each one can have its own balance and even skills like pve/pvp seperation. Arena balance would work for the majority though even conquest. Although not too heavy adjusting is required.

In 4v4 situations (say 1 bunker 4 mid) two supports and two roamers used to take mid without a problem and the game felt decent balance wise with the supports I was using which was medi guard + support/blind spam necro. The supports I was using were nerfed, trait merged into grandmasters, and changed completely (like plague blind spammer when shit hits the fan support necro) and celestial ammy/rune of mercy removed which made the guard the perfect resser unable to stomp before he resses. A heavier focus on teamfights would just make people run supports over bunkers for 5v5 you'd use two or three supports since theres no healer class which a healer class is heavily preferred. Really prefer a monk over a wannabe support ranger/emo.

I prefer rifts larger scale conquest more similar to alliance battles over this conquest mode. In that game it was like 5 capture points on the map and like 25 players per team you would send one group of 5 people to each node and it would be like team vs team on each node. I dont remember it well but was similar to this even that beside what we already have would be atleast something different to que for. Not a good competitive format but not a bad thing to que for nonetheless when you dont want to play the main format which in this case is the conquest serves more of a role of alliance battles in gw1**#

where its something else to do rather than takeover the gvg scene. Which is what they tried to do with conquest and its not very bright conquest woulda been better off on the side as something else to do keeping more players interested in a better/more variety pvp game.**

Why they didn't put CTF and KotH modes in at release or soon after still confuses me to this day. I'm certain it wouldn't take them FIVE YEARS to implement them.

When they introduced Conquest instead I was facepalming into my soup.

It saddens me that the developers failed in this way for such a lengthy period of time.

But if you think about CTF, would you remove Blink or Stealth when carrying the flag? What's the point in a thief without those tools, then?

@Svarty.8019 said:Why they didn't put CTF and KotH modes in at release or soon after still confuses me to this day. I'm certain it wouldn't take them FIVE YEARS to implement them.

When they introduced Conquest instead I was facepalming into my soup.

It saddens me that the developers failed in this way for such a lengthy period of time.

But if you think about CTF, would you remove Blink or Stealth when carrying the flag? What's the point in a thief without those tools, then?

You would have to.

Their best use would be in chasing down the flag carrier. But I agree, it would leave mobile classes feeling a bit more useless.

@"R E F L H E X.8413" said:hopefully the person that made the decision of conquest being the only/best format will get into a fatal car crash soon or something religion wise that death will show him the truth! you coulda been way more successful this a horrible format and anything they enter in otherwise seems to be made horrid on purpose/fail on purpose to try to make conquest look good. stronghold inspired by gvg but kitten sure made to be horrible in comparison which makes conquest look like a better option than it really is.

You need to take a chill pill bro! You went way overboard with your comment!I hate conquest and current PvP as much as the next guy..but what you say it's completely unacceptable

@Zodi.8932 said:So I was thinking of ideas to give PvP a bit more variety in the future and I don't think Anet see it as impossible to add a new game mode to PvP. We just need to push them a bit more!

The first idea and one which would perhaps work best in Gw2 keeping with the general mechanics of conquest would be King of the Mound. This could have a Skritt theme where a mound would spawn with a capture zone randomly on the map. This would have a capture bar the same as conquest which would go up with the same pace as a shrine capture in WvW. The zone could only be captured when none of the opposing team players are left in the zone. To create slightly more balance after one zone is captured the new zone would spawn in a completely different area of the map. A team would need 3 captures to win the game.

The second idea could be a capture the flag style mode where a team have to capture a part from an enemy base and bring it back to their base to put towards building a golem. When they complete the golem with 3 parts then the golem fires at the enemy base winning the game. This mode is pretty common in other mmos but it works well and could easily be given a gw2 theme.

So do you guys think we will see a different game mode in Gw2 PvP one day?

I'm all about CTF, it's my favourite gaming mode period. Many hours were wasting playing the original Quake mod Team Fortress a long time ago.

@R E F L H E X.8413 said:it is overboard but it doesnt take a psychic to have the foresight that conquest would really only last 2-3 months for most people before they got bored of it in comparison to others.

Being locked into the same 5 weapon skills really dont help.

I don't mind the class specs specially with Elite specs. A lot is fun and there is already a nice amount to learn. Just wish we had some different game modes because conquest is mind numbing after 5 years of playing it.

Archived