What weight of armor should I do for legendary?

Majirah.5089

I have gotten to the point where I want to start working towards legendary armor. I have one of each profession. I enjoy all of them to some degree.

I had considered no ever doing legendary because I mainly like power builds, but I have started using some exotic gear to try out condi and hybrid damage types and have enjoyed it.

I don’t think I will do medium armor because I don’t like the condi damage types as much for the related professions. So it’s a toss up between light armor and heavy armor.

I keep on going back and forth between those two. I’ll pribably eventually do it for both, but I’m interested to see what others think would benefit the most from being able to switch stats at will.

Light or heavy?

Depends on your playstyle as well. Mesmer canUse 4 sets of pve gear, multiple sets of WvW gear, etc. Ele is around 2 PvE 2 WvW, necro is necro. Don't know how many gear sets heavy uses.

Depends on what legendary armor you want to do. PvP vs WvW vs PvE. Pretty sure you can craft any weight precursor PvE gear once you've unlocked the 1 precursor set.

I would mainly use it in pve. I am able to craft any weight with the using the pvp recipe. I just have some trouble deciding between heavy and light since I like them both pretty much equally. What professions are generally good and wanted in fractals and what-not? Also, I enjoy the dps role as opposed to support. I’d like to get more into pve. I know I don’t need legendary gear, but it’s something to work towards.

Most heavy armor class in high end PvE are running viper and grieving stat (firebrand, renegade and berserker), so ascended would be sufficient and you can't utilize stat change as much. Whereas light armor class you can have commander/zerker mix chrono, viper scourge and zerker ele. Heck throw in a magi ele or minstrel chrono if that's your thing.

Trouble is legendary heavy armor seems a lot more polished than legendary light if you're into fashion war :P

If we're looking at WvW which legendary armor can also be used, I'd say heavy armor has a lot more variable choice such as minstrel firebrand, power spellbreaker and power revenant. But the same can be said about light armor such as commander/zerker chrono, celestial/power ele and whatever condi scourge you prefer (with an odd power reaper from time to time).

EDIT: Regarding fractals viper scourge or commander chrono (with leadership runes) are a popular choice in higher tier pugs. Rest of the aforementioned classes are in dps role like scourge but their effectiveness based on player skill. Like weaver can deal higher dps but a lot more easy to go down etc.

Go at this step by step since the first armor is the fastest to get and any future legendary armor will take quite a while longer due to LI restraints.

I'd say, first decide what you want from the armor:

• are you interested in the skin or functionality?

Then once you've decided on that, make the tough decision for which character you want to get it:

• should it be your main so you can feel "happy" that your main wears your best gear (and you get to look at the skin)
  • should it be the class which makes the most sense since there are multiple builds which you need (say chrono who can run minstrel, berserker/assassin, viper or commander gear)?

Then when you've come to your final decision, make the armor and don't look back. Make sure to get a different set for your first collection though, the 2nd collection actually gives you the precursor armor and you might as well take a full set of ascended gear for a different weight type since you will be getting legendary armor for your choice. Say if your choice is between light and heavy, definitely get a full set of the opposite weight class for which you want to make the legendary.

Archived