Not a fan of Mai Trin changes

Osu.6307

Interesting how anet responded to people complaining about the part of the fractal where you have to run around avoiding aoes every time you get her down 25% health. So now instead of 30 seconds of avoiding lots of aoes, you spend the ENTIRE FIGHT avoiding less aoes. All this constant movement makes it so much harder to keep mai in the right spot to get her shield down. This fractal has gone from slightly annoying but doable to very annoying and hard. Mission accomplished!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Mark Katzbach.9084" saidThe Captain Mai Trin Boss fractal has a few pain points...

And they go and put Mai Trin with Afflicted and Social Awkwardness. Coupled with the change to Barrier's interaction with Agony damage, it just stinks of ANet doing their utmost to justify Scourge as a "heavy support" specialization.

Plus, the new mechanic revolves having to spot a tiny red or blue dot above your character's head, amidst a dozen ground circles from cannons, ground circles from the adds, and even more particle effects from the party. I can only imagine what a farce this is for colorblind players.

@Mourningcry.9428 said:

@Gambino.2109 said:This fractal definitely needs to be tweaked..

Horrik can pretty much wipe the party on the last phase very very easy if you fail to dodge his cannons..

They need to do something about this one shotting damage

One shots were fine before, they're fine now.

There we're no ONE shots before that I can remember..

@Gambino.2109 said:

@Mourningcry.9428 said:

@Gambino.2109 said:This fractal definitely needs to be tweaked..

Horrik can pretty much wipe the party on the last phase very very easy if you fail to dodge his cannons..

They need to do something about this one shotting damage

One shots were fine before, they're fine now.

There we're no ONE shots before that I can remember..

Back in FoTM 50, zerk ele and zerk thief could be one shot - unless I am mistaken, it's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure there were one shots.

In the new FoTM, agreed, there were no one shots outside of Jade Maw.

Edit: Captain in the char fractal could definitely one shot (as could the warrior minion rushes).

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Mourningcry.9428 said:Edit: Captain in the char fractal could definitely one shot (as could the warrior minion rushes).All of those were toned down because they
weren't
fine and people kept complaining about them.So, no, one shots weren't fine in the past, and aren't fine now.

A portion of people complaining does not alone make something unacceptable and requiring change - i.e. there were many of us that were just fine with it, and played it without issue.

If a person chooses to play glass, then they should accept the risk that they're gonna get shattered.

Now, if bunker builds are getting busted by trash, then that'd be something to consider. But they didn't, weren't and aren't.

This is T4 we're talking about, not T1, T2 or even T3. There are literally 75% alternative levels for them to play if this is too much to handle.

Edit: I'm not in the least advocating bunker builds, or saying they're necessary. Merely stating that trash one shots are not so across all builds and if trash can down a full bunker build in a single hit, not some special mechanic, then this is something else entirely.

well, i think it got better, a bit messy, but better and since they are pirates, it is what to expect.the 2 bomb icons are only distinguished by a purple/yellow aura around it, moving a lot is hard to see this little detail.who have the purple diamond, Mai's target, should go to who has the purple bomb icon.at the cannon phase, focus on Horrik, the others are just adds that should not be ignored since they will stay, if not dead, becoming a problem.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Mourningcry.9428 said:Edit: Captain in the char fractal could definitely one shot (as could the warrior minion rushes).All of those were toned down because they
weren't
fine and people kept complaining about them.So, no, one shots weren't fine in the past, and aren't fine now.

He still one shots you. Just it lacks a tell.

@Mikeskies.1536 said:

@Hesacon.8735 said:I like it, the mechanics make it a less painful fight as now you're not waiting on the RNG to feed you a bomb she steps out of after removing only one stack.

The only problem now is that it is harder to do with bad pugs.

It has been a daily once. Wait until people understand the mechanics and it will be fine.

The changes are great in my opinion. If you have good damage and boon control you can burst Horrik between cannon phases incredibly quickly, and things go much smoother than before. Then, in the final phase, just Mesmer Focus pull all the mobs in, throw a Gravity Well on them, and cleave everything down. This is pretty much exactly what I've always wanted the fight to be, so thanks Anet!

The only thing I don't love is the Aetherblade mob spam after every cannon phase. The Charr mobs that drop warbanners are particularly annoying because they result in unstoppable and pulsing boon spam on the enemies. Other than that, though, good stuff!

@maxwelgm.4315 said:My only gripe with this is that enraged instability now apparently lasts until the enemy is dead, which makes T4 a binary wipe or fast kill at low %. Other than that it has been brought pretty much in line with the other bosses, it was bound to happen eventually.

cough Jade Maw cough

My only issue was that on the final phase, you have 4 elite spawns, 4 veterans I think?, and Horrik. It wasn't really threatening once the group focused down each elite but they have so much health it's not challenging it's just a time waster. Remove the vets or lower the Elite HP a bit so it's not so long and tedious. New cannons are nice and I never had any issue with Horrik's damage, seeing who Mai Trin targets is good too

@Grok Krog.9581 said:My only issue was that on the final phase, you have 4 elite spawns, 4 veterans I think?, and Horrik. It wasn't really threatening once the group focused down each elite but they have so much health it's not challenging it's just a time waster. Remove the vets or lower the Elite HP a bit so it's not so long and tedious. New cannons are nice and I never had any issue with Horrik's damage, seeing who Mai Trin targets is good too

The Elites were there before, and the only one you really need to deal with is the sniper. The rest, like the veterans, can be pulled in and cleaved.

It goes without saying that a group with a dedicated player with good condition cleanse (scourge, tempest, druid) and heals can just stack on Mai Trin and tank the damage. Having pulls is also very helpful for corralling the adds during each Horrik phase.

I wonder if it really is intentional for the cannon fire to keep going during Trin phases? There are just to much things/aoe at once that makes the entire screen full of red circles and aoe + all the marks on characters. This can't be the intention can it?Also imo trin should not return until the mobs are cleared and also not that many adds should spawn at once. If you pick a pug and ain't got enough dps to kill the adds fast, they are all over the place making it very hard just because dps isn't high enough.Also, that new avenger is really brutal. It seems these changes did not make fractals more fun nor challenging.edit: augments seem kind of pointless since most people got 150ar already, unless you want 10 characters for fractals. And is there another fractal relic sink beside those?

I have no idea why they change exesting fractals in the first place. Like there is literally no reason to do this. (Same with Molten Boss)These changes are adding nothing to the game for any fractals player because it is STILL THE SAME DUNGEON.If people cry about things it would be just enough to adjust them slight. What I mean is tweak damage, hitpoints from mops or change the frequency they do their abilities.

It's even more ridiculous that all changes made the specific fractals less enjoyable - at least for me.

I appreciate the new fractal of course.

@rohbroy.5736 said:I have no idea why they change exesting fractals in the first place. Like there is literally no reason to do this. (Same with Molten Boss)These changes are adding nothing to the game for any fractals player because it is STILL THE SAME DUNGEON.If people cry about things it would be just enough to adjust them slight. What I mean is tweak damage, hitpoints from mops or change the frequency they do their abilities.

It's even more ridiculous that all changes made the specific fractals less enjoyable - at least for me.

I appreciate the new fractal of course.

The changes had nothing to do with damage numbers, but rather the general mechanics of the entire fight. In the original fight,

1. it was unclear who Horrik targets, and therefore requires everybody to stack on Mai Trin, thereby negatively affecting the gameplay experience of ranged players;
  2. after teleporting, Mai Trin could change targets, including players from which she just teleported away from, thereby making her movements erratic and difficult to control or predict. This was problematic in a fight where positioning her was critical to the mechanics; and
  3. at every 25% of Mai Trin's health, the fight would go on pause for lengthy amounts of time for the cannon phase. For groups that could burst Mai Trin down quickly, the long periods of non-fighting became a significant portion of the entire encounter.

@Mikeskies.1536 said:

@Hesacon.8735 said:I like it, the mechanics make it a less painful fight as now you're not waiting on the RNG to feed you a bomb she steps out of after removing only one stack.

The only problem now is that it is harder to do with bad pugs.

And why is this a problem in the first place? Bad pugs have lower tiers where they can practice, so they aren't quite so bad.

Archived