Suggestion: Mount Skin Selector

Ohoni.6057

In a post today, MO expressed that part of the thinking on the mount skins issue is that if they put a bunch of low priced skins as individual purchases on the marketplace, they would get lost on the shelves, and not get purchased. I think this is fair, I just disagree with the solution ANet's chosen to that problem. I offer this alternative delivery mechanism, which I believe is achievable using mostly existing tech, a manually selectable "mount skin selector."

In principle, it would be similar to items such as the Chest of the First Spear, an item you would purchase, which you could then open up, and manually select the mount skin that you would like to receive. No randomness, it would be 100% "what you get is what you chose." The benefit to this, however, is that it would be a single item on the Gem Store, taking a single slot rather than thirty.

Now, let's assume that they don't want to charge a flat rate, that they believe some skins should cost more than others. That's fine too, just release 2-4 separate packs, each of which can only select from a subset of the skins. You would purchase each separately, as many of each as you wanted, and could then open them to select the skin that you want. My personal preference on a breakdown would be to have three categories available:

Common Mount Skin Selector (200-300 gems):Tawny Hare, Windy Spot, Striped Tri-Horn, Savanah Monitor, Canyon Spiketail, Coastal Spiketail, Bright Ringfin, Oasis Skate, River Moth Wing, Spined Longtail, Highlands Harrier, Badlands Stalker, Spotted Sylph

Rare Mount Skin Selector (600 gems):Clouded Corvus, Polished Stone, Crowned Ancient, Banded Mystic, Oceanic Ray, Dajkah Lantern, Desert Lop, Elonian Jackalope, Primal Hare, Flame Lander

Exotic Mount Skin Selector (800 gems):Fire Pinion, Starbound, Stardust, Twin Sand, Pyroclast, Arctic Jerboa, Storm Ridge

That's just my opinion, a few of them could reasonably shift up or down the lists, but I think it's a fair start. That's 13/10/7, and would add up to 14,200 to clear out the lot. I erred on the side of "more expensive" here, but a few of them could probably be knocked down to make it more 15/10/5, which would bring in 13,000 gems at the listed rates.

I think that's a reasonable compromise. Everyone gets paid, the customer gets the mount he wants, and it would only take up three slots on the gem store inventory. Plus, they could add new mounts to each set as new ones become available, since it wouldn't be RNG.

If this specific method is impossible to implement, then perhaps the gem store could sell a "Mount License" item, which you could then use as currency at an in-game vendor, to trade in for a skin from his inventory. There are already elements in game like that as well. There are many ways to actually make this work, all of them better than the current option.

@Ohoni.6057 said:

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:They might actually do this for later bundles. They said they flat out won't change the current one at all.

Yes, but that needs to change, and this could be a way to do it, hopefully one they can get behind.

Oh, trust me... I think it should've been changed since day 1, but they simply said "Nope. Future we will try not to, but this one. Eat it."

I like this idea and I think it would be a great compromise.

Although I also think with the new gem store UI, where you can filter for just the type of things you want (like searching only for outfits instead of everything on the style tab) mount skins getting 'lost on the shelves' is unlikely to be an issue.

• 2 months later...

Archived