SW Farming noobie question

Omnicron.2467

I have not done much of this, I have not yet done a fully organised chest farm, but followed a commander and opened about 15-20 chest (I have over 100 keys).Opening them I got a few rares but nothing amazing. From what I understand you make your 100g a day from selling the contents of the chests? How do you get to 100g from selling rares for 20s a piece?

You do a lot of chest runs and it adds up. If you’re looking for efficiency then the RIBA farm is better. Ignore the claims from those that say you’ll make more than 30G/hr as they’re lies based off inflated numbers and flawed math. I want to say most people average about 20G/hr and it’s profitability depends on you opening bags on a level 48 character to get the lower tiered materials.

As a general rule you won't make much gold in GW2 from any one item, especially not ones which drop from enemies or non-boss chests. Those very valuable items do exist but they maintain their value by either being so rare they're not worth farming (or because the majority of people farming them will never get one) or by being so expensive to make/earn that the profit margin is quite small and again they're not generally worth farming.

This is partially because of the game design as a whole (long story, won't get into it now), but mostly because the Trading Post is shared by everyone on all the servers in both the NA and EU regions, so there's a lot of competition for sales. Buyers can see every single copy of the item currently up for sale (and all other buy orders to compare prices). That tends to push prices down because even relatively rare items will often have dozens of copies for sale. On top of that the TP will only let buyers purchase the lowest priced one currently available.

On the other hand it also means there's a huge market for common items, particularly crafting materials which many people need a lot of. That's generally what people are farming for. It can get quite complicated - working out the more valuable tiers for whatever you're likely to get from bags and then making sure to open the bags on a character whose the right level to get equipment which salvages into those materials...

But put simply instead of opening chest and focusing on the value of the few most valuable items you get from them you want to salvage everything you get and sell all the materials, then check how much gold you've made overall rather than how much you got for each item.

For example a few days ago I did the Dragon's Stand meta event. I got about 1.5g directly - combination of event rewards and drops from enemies. My most valuable drop was worth 3g (the Opulent Defender - a named exotic shield) but I got a further 8g from selling all the greens and blues or salvaging them and selling the materials. And that's without making any attempt to do it the most efficient way - I actually lost a fair bit of gold by selling all the medium armour instead of salvaging it into leather myself. (But that's ok, I was farming Crystalline Ore, not gold.)

@Ayrilana.1396 said:If you’re looking for efficiency then the RIBA farm is better.

What is RIBA?

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

If you’re looking for efficiency then the RIBA farm is better.What is RIBA?

Red, Indigo, Blue, Amber. It's where your squad spreads out and everyone rotates while tagging all the events that they can. Because players are rotating, nothing should fail and everyone gets a lot of bags. The bags with loot that scales are then opened on a level 48ish character.

Ok so considering this, it seems like SW farm is just a very good way to get bags for your time, and it is an event you can farm 24/7 provided there is a group.

If you are more casual how would Auric Basin Meta compare if you are happy to just do it every two hours rather than on a constant gind?

Also if the money comes from selling the mats then I wonder how the Istan map will compare. The lootboxes of metal/leather/cloth/wood is quite generous and I got enough volatile magic to buy 5 just from exploring the map and picking up those chests during the meta event.

Archived