Evade + nuke skills discussion.

Razor.6392

Not everyone has access to shocking aura or stealth on demand after all.

1. Unrelenting Assault
  2. Rocket Charge

There are more, like Blurred Frenzy, Burning Speed, Vault, Pistol Whip, Fiery Greatsword #3 / Whirlwind Attack, Death Blossom, Bounding dodger / Lotus training (Thief traits). Why are these skills fine though? Let's see. They don't track your movement, you only need one dodge to deal with them and none of them can do a lot of damage by themselves.

How are these skills balanced? Honest question. These are skills where I cannot hope to do any damage to my opponent, so all I can do is evade twice, waste an invuln, or eat at least 3-4k damage in case I only evade once.

There shouldn't exist skills that outlast the duration of a single dodge roll, let alone make your enemy evade any attacks while doing upwards of 5k damage. It's just not good design, yes I'm gonna get told to L2P and how much counterplay they have (they don't, they have workarounds, but not exactly counterplay other than shocking aura or stealth). IIRC rocket charge even tracks through stealth.

I'm aware they have received nerfs. But when their cooldown is that short for what they do, and when you compare the damage numbers with that of other proper "burst" builds, it becomes kinda interesting to see them in parallel. These are textbook definitions of "I win" buttons, you only need to press "3" to do damage, while taking none yourself, and not even having to worry about staying in range or turning your character around so that these hits land.

Help me out here :(

Logic is stretched pretty thin when in the same breath claim rocket charge and unrelenting assault do OP damage with few counters and then say every other evading damage skill is fine.

Rocket Charge is only 50% evades for duration and the last hit traps you vulnerably to counterattack, unrelenting assault you can split the damage over A.I and other trash. Some very key drawbacks..

Look at it in context of full builds too. Hammer Scrapper pressure still too high despite being only able to hit point committed targets? Power Rev OP despite very unforgiving weakness to conditions & counter pressure when they dive in?

Cherry pick skills ftl

@Chaith.8256 said:Logic is stretched pretty thin when in the same breath claim rocket charge and unrelenting assault do OP damage with few counters and then say every other evading damage skill is fine.

Rocket Charge is only 50% evades for duration and the last hit traps you vulnerably to counterattack, unrelenting assault you can split the damage over A.I and other trash. Some very key drawbacks..

Look at it in context of full builds too. Hammer Scrapper pressure still too high despite being only able to hit point committed targets? Power Rev OP despite very unforgiving weakness to conditions & counter pressure when they dive in?

Cherry pick skills ftl

Hey man, I know who you are, good stuff.

About the skills, well, I kinda explained why the others are fine but I'll do it again in a more detailed fashion.

1. You only need 1 dodge to completely avoid their damage (just like it is with 99% of skills in the game that aren't ground aoes).
  2. They don't track your movement. Meaning you can't just press 3 and cross your arms until it ends.
  3. None of them can do over 6k damage with a marauder amulet, except maybe Whirlwind Attack with a perfect setup.

Minor issues aside, like the clunkiness of RC or the target split in UA, they remain as skills that can potentially do nuke levels of damage while you are invulnerable to a possible retaliation from your opponent. This is not good design! Sure, if you have 200 stacks of bleed it might not be a good idea to lock yourself in a long animation, but once again, that's besides the point. Surge of the Mists is similar in this regard, but instead of damage, it's the CC element. They're just loaded with invaluable traits for how little their cooldown, counterplay and drawbacks can be.

These 2 are the closest to "press [button] to win" abilities in the entire game. They don't require positioning, or accounting for enemy damage. You can literally press 3 and put your hands down while you watch as the enemy either double dodges or eats some damage (which, in rev's case is followed by precision strike). Defensive and offensive in one, and both at 12 seconds cooldown.

I'm not asking for outright deletion, but doesn't something seem off to you? Would you call these 100% balanced while other classes actually have to work for their damage and mitigation?

Archived