Old Patchnotes

Crinn.7864

• ArenaNet Staff

Oh you mean the two systems -- Wiki and forums -- use different formatting? That's true. The forum presentation is based on our creating a thread for each update, then adding a new post within that thread when something changes: a bug fix, the temporary disabling of content to address an issue, that sort of thing. That will grow here on the new forums with time, of course.

On the Wiki, they build a page for a full month, like this page for August 2017.

There is a difference in presentation, but some folks prefer the Wiki format because it's sort of "one-stop shopping" where you can see everything that happened in a given month on one page where others like a thread for each major update, with posts within it for the smaller updates.

Personally I much prefer the forum layout to the wiki layout, and would also like to see the patch notes also being migrated here.

For me, if I'm looking for one particular patch I won't be willing to go through a whole month's worth of patches to find what I'm after. If you forget the wording of what you're after, even Ctrl+F can't help you.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:If you know the date of the patch, the Wiki provides a page for each update/release separately, as well; it's not just in 'whole month' format.

Example:The massive patchnotes from the August 8th patch.

Note that they have useful links directing you to skill pages, trait pages, reward track pages, new vendors, updated vendors, new black lion items, etc.

Pros of using Wiki Patch Notes:

• Click-through linking to add extra context
  • Updated usually within 5 minutes of the main forum patch notes, and it's not getting hugged to death by everyone checking it.
  • Undocumented changes are listed at the bottom of major releases. (Guild Wars 2 Wiki Notes section)
    • For example, if we use the August 8th patch notes, we find that Wiki users documented the new launcher, the expanded maps, the catmander system, the addition of repeatable Hero Challenges, and other minor changes.

Cons of using Wiki Patch Notes

• It takes time for large-scale patch-notes to be fully linked (though generally less than a day)
  • It comes out after main forum patch notes
  • You may have to scroll down through some minor updates if you don't know the day you want.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:If you know the date of the patch, the Wiki provides a page for each update/release separately, as well; it's not just in 'whole month' format.

Actually the wiki offers updates in three different ways:

For even more fun, you can swim through the categories, though I hear that's passé.

Ah, gotcha. There was a discussion about changing the format to be closer to the old forums where the notes were based off of major patches. There was no one both smart enough to know how or crazy enough to take on that challenge. Too many years of one format with too much subsequent code relying on it in that format.

There are definite advantages to the forums showing things in chronological order with the biggest patches on top. The wiki's in reverse chronological :(.

Archived